JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #106 of 10,747
That is one tough thing about customs - demos limited to shows like CanJam. It would be cool if they had some sort of universal loaner program (with deposit) so that folks could try it out before buying so they'd know which model they preferred and if they liked the sound before taking the plunge. I assume you can't just return them if you don't like them (since they are customs)....

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #107 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is one tough thing about customs - demos limited to shows like CanJam. It would be cool if they had some sort of universal loaner program (with deposit) so that folks could try it out before buying so they'd know which model they preferred and if they liked the sound before taking the plunge. I assume you can't just return them if you don't like them (since they are customs)....

That part scares the bejeezus out of me as I contemplate the cost of a JH-13

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #108 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think so too, because my Freq Show Music Makers don't sound anywhere near as good as my Livewires or SE530 in a custom shell, let alone my ES3X. They are rolled off in the highs, and have a resonance peak in the lower mids that bugs me - despite the same good fit and shape as all my other customs. (slightly improved when they re-fitted them) I guess I should try to measure my impedance sometime.

Yeah, it used to list the impedance at 18ohms on the site IIRC.

I have tried the Triple-fi's, Ety 4's,and se530's in direct comparison and none came close.

Had the ESW9, and modded and recabled it... still not quite as detailed as my FreQShow.

Mine register in a 9.6ohms on the left and 9.5ohms on the right. That seems really low for IEM's. My crossover and parts simply must be different.

Maybe after making mine and sending it to me, they went with cheaper drivers or crossover. Mine definately use the drivers I listed. If you have clear, please look at yours and say. My Woofer is absolutely HUGE. It takes almost all of the inside space of my earpiece. Yet, I still don't havethe boomy bass that everyone complained about.

My woofer is the Knowles CI series 229955. It is Knowles TOTL

Search

http://www.knowles.com/search/prods_...-22955-000.pdf

My guess is that they switched to cheaper, smaller woofers because not everyone has the best ear shape for such a humongus driver.

Consequentially, they likely had to change the crossover as well.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #109 of 10,747
I wrote Jerry Harvey re: the difference between the UE11 and the JH13 and got the following reply:

"The JH13PRO is the next generation of IEM. The JH13 audio signature overall
is more accurate than the UE11. Especially in the low mids the UE11 has a
lot of masking frequencies between 125hZ and 400hZ. There is a +6 bump at
60hZ that is gone by 115hZ and continues to be very accurate out to right at
20k. The 13 is the 1st IEM to reproduce out to 20k all others roll off
between 8k and 17k.This depends on the manufacturer. Most roll off at 8k.

Because there are 2 drivers reproducing each band the harmonic distortion is
non existent and the detail in the mix is very deep due to how fast the
drivers respond when compared to the old style drivers in the UE11."

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #110 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wrote Jerry Harvey re: the difference between the UE11 and the JH13 and got the following reply:

UGH. Not what I needed to read....

Run wallet run....

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #111 of 10,747
Quote:

Great info to have, just wondering, doesn't most audio not go higher than 17khz? Can't wait to see comparisons between this and es3x, especially in the soundstaging and naturalness and neutrality, which the es3x seem to reign over other iems so far

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #112 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by charpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great info to have, just wondering, doesn't most audio not go higher than 17khz? Can't wait to see comparisons between this and es3x, especially in the soundstaging and naturalness and neutrality, which the es3x seem to reign over other iems so far

44.1K audio goes to 22K, and most well produced music has signal all the way to 22K. As far as physical instruments, the only thing that produces over 15K is cymbals (generally). Mostly what you lose over 15K is soundstage, "air", and "space". 18K is especially critical for the height/depth part of soundstage.

That said, most people over about 35 can't hear test tones over 16K. But I still believe that if those frequencies are missing, most well trained ears can hear the loss of soundstage and air.

So, IMO, frequencies up to 20K are essential for sound quality, especially when it comes to soundstage. This could be one of the reasons that full size cans with a wider frequency range sound "bigger".

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #113 of 10,747
If these truly extend to 20 Khz, then IEMs have just cleared a nasty hurdle that, in my opinion, has kept them from completely competing with full sized cans. I love my UE10s, but that roll off of the highest treble seems to limit their capacity for textural resolution. I look forward to comparisons between the UE10/UE11 and JH13.

What a crappy time for a global recession!

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #114 of 10,747
Wow, if Mr. Harvey is telling the truth, then IEMs may be saved. I've always thought IEMs lacked the treble kick, air, and space. Another problem I have with IEMs is the instrument placement isn't accurate. For example, horns are sometimes really high, like on the second story of a building. With headphones, I can easily slide the earcups downward to resolve this problem.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #116 of 10,747
confused_face_2.gif
Quote:

Yeah, that stuff is all well and good, but the important question is, "WHAT DAMN COLOUR DO I CHOOSE?"
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #118 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice wmcmanus question for you though. For the $100 dollar head-fi discount do we just let them know that when ordering? I am going to give them a call shortly when I have my impressions ready to go.

My guess is that's all you need to do. I'd suggest giving Jerry a call and chatting with him about it. Once he has your Head-Fi username, I'm sure he'll give whatever discount applies. I think the $100 discount was for CanJam attendees, not necessarily for Head-Fi members generally. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #119 of 10,747
I did indeed asked he said it is a head-fi discount available till June 30th (get your orders in boys) so I am treating it more like a introductory price then a discount
smily_headphones1.gif
but anyways I spoke to him and I am all taken care of now just need to get those impressions in.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #120 of 10,747
Anyone knows if it is possible that if we pay an extra cost could we get the heat sensitive tips that westone uses? Seems like this is the last issue for me for it to be a perfect custom.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back