JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #121 of 10,747
I don't think so I have not seen Jerry venture into that area at all and I don't know if he believes in it since there have been reports that it is not as durable as hard acrylic either way customs are way more comfortable then universals afaik

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #122 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by charpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows if it is possible that if we pay an extra cost could we get the heat sensitive tips that westone uses? Seems like this is the last issue for me for it to be a perfect custom.
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so I have not seen Jerry venture into that area at all and I don't know if he believes in it since there have been reports that it is not as durable as hard acrylic either way customs are way more comfortable then universals afaik

While I like the heat-sensitive tips of the ES3X better, my other 3 pair of customs are made entirely of acrylic and they are still more comfortable than any universal tips I have used. My UM56 tips for the W3 are vinyl, and softer than acrylic but not any more or less comfortable than the acrylic customs.

So, heat sensitive tips are not a make it or break it deal, but it is definitely a luxury that other maker could consider offering.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #123 of 10,747
well I guess ha agrees with my opinions about comfort idk honestly I don't think it is a make or break deal like HA said it just something westone offer but still I would be afraid of the material changing color and not being quite as stable but we will see

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #124 of 10,747
Oh ok thanks guys. Now whats left is the reviews
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #125 of 10,747
Yes that is right. I asked him and he said they often turn yellow and get brittle. Not what I want but I sure like the idea of heat sensitive and molding that little extra to the ear.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #127 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
44.1K audio goes to 22K, and most well produced music has signal all the way to 22K. As far as physical instruments, the only thing that produces over 15K is cymbals (generally). Mostly what you lose over 15K is soundstage, "air", and "space". 18K is especially critical for the height/depth part of soundstage.

That said, most people over about 35 can't hear test tones over 16K. But I still believe that if those frequencies are missing, most well trained ears can hear the loss of soundstage and air.

So, IMO, frequencies up to 20K are essential for sound quality, especially when it comes to soundstage. This could be one of the reasons that full size cans with a wider frequency range sound "bigger".

Theoretically, a 22k signal can be sampled pretty badly by a 44.1k sampling scheme. That's why Song/Phillips use 44.1k sampling given that our hearing range is from 20 to 20kHz.

Even though most of us cannot hear higher than 16k eventually (I'm over 35
wink.gif
), the ability of extending the transducer to 20k would still introduce positive effect -- simply the 16k region will not fall off badly. Hence the linearity of our audio range will be improved and hopefully the tracks will be reproduced with higher fidelity.

When a speaker says it can reproduce the signal from AHz to BHz, it actually means A and B will be rolled off from the "ideal curve" by a certain dB. I've no figure of the number of dB being rolled off but 3dB is probably quite a reasonable estimate.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #128 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting my impressions done tomorrow. I need to make a clearance of all my universals to fund them (starting with the UM3X which are now on the For Sale forums. Next IE8). At the end I would only have JH13 for my home rig, UE11 for on the go, and the ER4P for the gym. What a greedy person I am.

hey,bolardito, have you heard Jh13 demo at camjam? what is your impression of it and compare with um3x. Thanks

You guys are real devil,
devil_face.gif
always make me want to upgrade

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #130 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey,bolardito, have you heard Jh13 demo at camjam? what is your impression of it and compare with um3x. Thanks

You guys are real devil,
devil_face.gif
always make me want to upgrade

That's the whole trap on this site. It never ceases! I've been drooling over this thread today too, but I'm more interested in news about the upcoming universal. I'm afraid to go the custom route because of implications for resale.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #131 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the whole trap on this site. It never ceases! I've been drooling over this thread today too, but I'm more interested in news about the upcoming universal. I'm afraid to go the custom route because of implications for resale.

Upcoming universal? Do you know something about plans for JH to release a universal soon?
ph34r.gif

Man, the world of IEM's is moving so quickly that you can't even blink. Every time I think I'm settling into a decision, some new piece of info comes along and makes me re-consider my timing...

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #133 of 10,747
There was absolutely no talk about a universal at CanJam as far as I know, and I and others talked with Jerry quite a bit. You'd think he might mention it at least once if he was planning on releasing a universal, though I could be wrong. Where are you getting that from?

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #134 of 10,747
Quote:

I did indeed asked he said it is a head-fi discount available till June 30th (get your orders in boys) so I am treating it more like a introductory price then a discount
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad it's only for the JH|13 PRO.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I like the heat-sensitive tips of the ES3X better, my other 3 pair of customs are made entirely of acrylic and they are still more comfortable than any universal tips I have used. My UM56 tips for the W3 are vinyl, and softer than acrylic but not any more or less comfortable than the acrylic customs.

So, heat sensitive tips are not a make it or break it deal, but it is definitely a luxury that other maker could consider offering.

How much does it help when you're moving your mouth? I'll need a pair of monitors when my jaw has been fixed and I can do voice work again, so the ability for the customs to stay comfy (and, of course, keep a seal) is especially important. It actually matters more to me than the ability to reproduce the very ends of the audible spectrum, since anyway, my voice won't reach quite that far in either direction.

Of course, I'd like to be able to use the customs to listen to music too, so I'd rather the low and high ends weren't completely crappy; but I don't think they will be on any model from UE or JH.

Quote:

well I guess ha agrees with my opinions about comfort idk honestly I don't think it is a make or break deal like HA said it just something westone offer but still I would be afraid of the material changing color and not being quite as stable but we will see

The change of color isn't much of a problem for the Westones, since only the canal section is in vinyl. It won't be visible from the outside. As for the material getting brittle, I wonder how long it takes. If it takes years, then it isn't a big problem, since it seems that customs lose their perfect seal within 4 to 5 years anyway, due to how our ear canals change with age.

Which brings another question: how much will Jerry Audio charge to refit/recast the JH|13 (and other models) several years from now?

And, what about the original warranty? Only one year, like UE and Westone?

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #135 of 10,747
well either way I don't want them getting brittle
smily_headphones1.gif
who knows but if there is a market I am sure they will do remoulding the cans for a relatively cheap price since they do it for free when you are first trying to get the perfect seal and have 2nd impressions made so it cannot be too pricey
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back