JDS Labs Element
Oct 26, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #361 of 636
I listened to the AKG K7XX on my Element at a recent headphone meet and absolutely loved it! It solidified my desire to purchase the K7XX headphones. My K7XX headphones arrive later this week, so I'll listen to it again (soon) in a home setting.

::

I'm honestly becoming less a fan of The Element as my personal tastes have changed, and I have found more accurate amplifier and DAC/amplifier options. The reason I so liked The Element was it did not punish my ears as some previous solid state amplifiers have done. It is extremely smooth and non-fatiguing. However I have found other (less expensive) amplifiers to have more detail retrieval without causing undue fatigue. And I have found other DAC/amplifier options at slightly higher cost to provide considerably more detail, again without harshness. So my original reasons for liking this amplifier have greatly diminished.
can you PM me you other options and choices??

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #363 of 636
I recently purchased a Meridian Director DAC from the classifieds. I have to say everything sounds absolutely amazing together!! These 400i are great headphones!

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #364 of 636
Yea... I don't know. The more I listen to the Element, the more I'm liking it and appreciating it. 

People have mentioned that the treble isn't as detailed as other amps, but it seems the guys at JDS, rather than going after more and more treble "detail", were going for an overall sound of "clarity", because the mids are remarkably clear. The treble detail and tweaks are there, but it's like they wanted to go for a more well-rounded sound and made the mids super clear as well, instead of trying to beat the treble over with a hammer. 

I'm seriously surprised... it pairs really well with my TH-900. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #365 of 636
Irrespective of what the element is like, i can say first hand that JDS has the absolute best customer service, hands down.

The element i ordered will be here soon, will get a review/impressions up pretty soon!

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #368 of 636
  How does Element compare with Benchmark DAC1? I'm talking about SQ only. I already know the I/O differences.

Sound quality is comparable enough between the two, that I can't really tell a difference between them. Both drive both my HD650 and T50RP headphones well. They have different recommendations for how to set them up in the OS, so on DAC1 it's 100% volume, and with Element, it's -3dB.

Before I used my macbook's output with my T50RP and they were merely passable. With real amplification, they have amazing control over bass that just wasn't there before. I've heard tell that the macbook actually has a 10Ω headphone output, so that may be a factor.

Like the DAC1, the Element has fairly excellent volume tracking between channels, and both are perfectly quiet when adjusting the volume.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #369 of 636
Really, I can't recommend the Element enough. It's true: some of its inputs are limiting, but overall, The Element really is gold. I did NOT expect the level of performance achieved through it, nor its power. Its knob, though, I wish it were a bit less rocky (on axis). 2nd generation versions with button-swappable input/output RCA circuits sound great. 

Honestly, though, this thing nearly performs as flawlessly as an AK380, but is way more powerful.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #370 of 636
  I have the Element and the Gustard H10.  The Gustard as a much larger soundstage, but you'll need to pair it with a DAC (maybe an ODAC).  I haven't listened to the ODAC, but I did an A/B between the headphone amps (Element and H10) using my Nuforce HDP as a DAC, so I know the increased soundstage size came from the H10.

Recently got the Audio-gd M11, so I haven't used the H10 in a while, but it's amazing for the price.

How much larger of a soundstage are we talking? Cathedral vs closet? I'm interested because I'm considering pairing this with a planar magnetic headphone. As we all know, planars are generally on the small soundstage site of things.

Any idea how this would compare for soundstage with the Schiit Magni 2U/Modi 2U stack? The H10 is an amp only, so it really isn't in the same price bracket as either the element or the Schiit stack.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #371 of 636

How much larger of a soundstage are we talking? Cathedral vs closet? I'm interested because I'm considering pairing this with a planar magnetic headphone. As we all know, planars are generally on the small soundstage site of things.

Any idea how this would compare for soundstage with the Schiit Magni 2U/Modi 2U stack? The H10 is an amp only, so it really isn't in the same price bracket as either the element or the Schiit stack.

The H10 is substantially better for orthos IME and the soundstage difference is pretty significant.  The X2s were fine off the Element and the H10, but again the H10 won out.  I'll probably get shot for this, but the Element reminds me of a Camry - it's pretty good all around.  My son has been using the Element with the X2s and I think I'm going to hang on to it for him based on the form factor.  If size isn't an issue, then the H10 is quite a bit better all around IMO.  Some op amp rolling tailored the sound a bit more.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #372 of 636
I see JDS Labs changed the base price to $330 and for $20 more you can change the RCA jacks to output which will according to their website, "Let you toggle between headphones and powered speakers at the push of a button."

Forgive my ignorance but how does that work? I don't see any toggle button on the pictures of The Element on their website.

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #374 of 636
Hmm, measurements look similar to that of the Objective? More or less. Or am I just looking at it all wrong?
Read through the whole thread or search for the word objective within this thread. I'm sure that I'm speaking on the behalf of every one when I say that we are tired of answering an explaining the objective vs the element :)

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #375 of 636
Read through the whole thread or search for the word objective within this thread. I'm sure that I'm speaking on the behalf of every one when I say that we are tired of answering an explaining the objective vs the element
smily_headphones1.gif

I flipped through like 5+ pages and saw nothing. But ok, I can do that for you. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back