JDS Labs Element
Oct 17, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #346 of 636
Just some quick impressions on the Element, which I'll be comparing to the Matrix M-Stage (original), with both connected to the M-Stage standalone DAC (not the cheap USB part that's included in some of the M-Stage amps), for the most part. 

It seems there's a tiny bit more detail in the treble with the Element, whereas the M-Stage is a little smoother and tighter sounding in the mids. The M-Stage, however, has a bit of a darker sound, whereas the Element is more neutral-sounding. It's just like someone else said - it's as if the Element doesn't want to be "overly analytical", so it doesn't overdo the treble, which would explain that kind of "linear" sound. 

Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. For songs with instrumentals and percussion, the Element will sound crisper and energetic. For songs that have a lot of vocals, perhaps the Matrix would be better. 

For me personally, I'm more into dance music/modern pop, so I think the Element works better for me. I'm liking it so far! 

And, of course... these are just super early impressions, and I may be wrong. But they do line up with what other people have said! 

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #348 of 636
Is that an X2's on the little audiophile's head? How do you like them with the Element?

Yeah it is.  They make a great pairing..  My only criticism of the Element is the smaller soundstage compared to higher priced offerings.  Since the X2's have such a large soundstage, they work very well together.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #349 of 636
Hey I have an HD700 and I'm loving the soundstage straight out of my fiio x5, but I want more is this amp/dac that bad with soundstage or what amps/dac would improve soundstage over the element in this price range?

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #350 of 636
Anyone use or have auditioned the TH900's with The Element? I am interested in buying this Dac/Amp but I want to make sure it does not make the Th900's treble any more harsh then they already are.

EDIT: 500th Post YEA

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #351 of 636
Yes, I'm actually using the Element with the TH-900. 

I can't say whether they will make the treble harsher, since I don't know what your Amp/DAC sounds like, and I don't know what your tolerances are with treble in general, but as mentioned in my impressions, it seems obvious to me that JDS Labs was deliberate in making the Element sound clear and detailed, without going overboard on the treble. 

To me, the TH-900 does not sound all that bright or harsh with the Element. But of course, it's completely subjective. I also came from a relatively warmer/less bright headphone amp, the Matrix M-Stage, and the switch to the Element hasn't been bad. At least, to my ears. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #352 of 636
  Hey I have an HD700 and I'm loving the soundstage straight out of my fiio x5, but I want more is this amp/dac that bad with soundstage or what amps/dac would improve soundstage over the element in this price range?

I have the Element and the Gustard H10.  The Gustard as a much larger soundstage, but you'll need to pair it with a DAC (maybe an ODAC).  I haven't listened to the ODAC, but I did an A/B between the headphone amps (Element and H10) using my Nuforce HDP as a DAC, so I know the increased soundstage size came from the H10.

Recently got the Audio-gd M11, so I haven't used the H10 in a while, but it's amazing for the price.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #354 of 636

Sorry for being so defensive, so like I said Im asking because Im not an expert on the matter, but DACs just turn the digital signal to analog, and with the exception of resolution not much of the sound changes, so a good  DAC will provide a high quality untainted  source that the amp can take and do practically anything with. Don't ask me about the science behind why, but I know from reading hundreds of amp discussion threads and personal experience that amplifiers can change soundstage dramatically.  I own the fiio X5 and a fiio e12.  The soundstage on the X5 is delightful, its open with good instrument placement, and decent spacing.  My hd700 Fiio x5 is so good that I can literally point to the instruments around me.  Now do the same thing with an e12 as an external amp on the X5 with it hooked up to the line out and the soundstage is crushed,  I could practically do better with earbuds the soundstage was so small.  I never used the e12 again.  And now I want something that actually delivers in terms of soundstage hence why Im here asking about the soundstage on the Jds labs Element. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #355 of 636

Sorry for being so defensive, so like I said Im asking because Im not an expert on the matter, but DACs just turn the digital signal to analog, and with the exception of resolution not much of the sound changes, so a good  DAC will provide a high quality untainted  source that the amp can take and do practically anything with. Don't ask me about the science behind why, but I know from reading hundreds of amp discussion threads and personal experience that amplifiers can change soundstage dramatically.  I own the fiio X5 and a fiio e12.  The soundstage on the X5 is delightful, its open with good instrument placement, and decent spacing.  My hd700 Fiio x5 is so good that I can literally point to the instruments around me.  Now do the same thing with an e12 as an external amp on the X5 with it hooked up to the line out and the soundstage is crushed,  I could practically do better with earbuds the soundstage was so small.  I never used the e12 again.  And now I want something that actually delivers in terms of soundstage hence why Im here asking about the soundstage on the Jds labs Element. 

I didn't expect DACs to work in any ways that they realistically don't, but the thing that really confused me is that I thought that an amp could only affect the sound signature of your headphones. I had no idea that it could affect soundstage as well, so I was pretty much in disbelief. I mean it sounds crazy, that an amplifier can change how far you perceive to distance audio that you are hearing (like how closed- and open- backed headphones do), but an amplifier amplifying certain frequencies to be much louder than others doesn't seem to be wrong at all. That is why I found amps changing sound signature to be much wore believable. So what's the reasoning behind amps being able to affect soundstage anyways?

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #356 of 636
Like I said I don't know the science but check any amp discussion and soundstage of the amp will be a topic. Sound signature and soundstage are pretty much independent of each other unless you're packing ear splitting bass. The fiio e12 without the bass boost sounds really similar to the x5 in terms of sound signature, but the soundstage of the two are worlds apart.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #357 of 636
I just got my Element today, and I gotta say right off the bat I'm really impressed.  It's sitting next to my Master 11 on my desk, and even though I do all my measuring and final testing on the M11, I found myself going back and forth today and doing a lot of listening on the element with the ZMF Omni's I was completing.  As far as sound elements, I'll do more listening and comment on the specifics to soundstage and tonality later, but this is an incredibly impressive unit.  I haven't owned another unit that was such a win in terms of ergonomics, sound, ease of use, and aesthetic sexiness.

If I had to sum up the sound in one word it would be "natural," which is what I strive for in tuning my headphones.  This guy will definitely be traveling with me to head-fi meets and shows as it's a no brainer given the footprint.  Great job Seabs and clan!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 26, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #359 of 636
Has anyone tried these with the AKG 7xx?  I hear the Element has a slightly warmer sound, so would pair well with any headphones that are commonly stated as pairing well with tube amps. 

I have 3 good tube amplifiers: a pair of OTLs and a transformer coupled amp. I also have some decent ss, along with the K7XX. I have not heard the Element, but there's a reason why I subscribe to this thread. :)

To make it short and sweet, the K7XX sounds more like a HD650 than a K701/2. It responds well - and I mean offers sound quality on par with my expectations - only with the Feliks Elise. The other two tube amps compromise the sound in one way or another. The ss Meier Concerto, OTOH, gets the best out of these cans, period, at least that I've heard. If you're set on a tube amp, consider a LDIII/IV. It drives the K7XX fairly well and doesn't make the headphones sound muddy and overly thick. Personally, I'd take a shot at the Element. Good luck.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #360 of 636
  Has anyone tried these with the AKG 7xx?  I hear the Element has a slightly warmer sound, so would pair well with any headphones that are commonly stated as pairing well with tube amps. 

I listened to the AKG K7XX on my Element at a recent headphone meet and absolutely loved it! It solidified my desire to purchase the K7XX headphones. My K7XX headphones arrive later this week, so I'll listen to it again (soon) in a home setting.

::

I'm honestly becoming less a fan of The Element as my personal tastes have changed, and I have found more accurate amplifier and DAC/amplifier options. The reason I so liked The Element was it did not punish my ears as some previous solid state amplifiers have done. It is extremely smooth and non-fatiguing. However I have found other (less expensive) amplifiers to have more detail retrieval without causing undue fatigue. And I have found other DAC/amplifier options at slightly higher cost to provide considerably more detail, again without harshness. So my original reasons for liking this amplifier have greatly diminished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back