JDS Labs Element
Oct 9, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #331 of 636
If still been trying to take apart the Element, but I can't manage to do it. I'm still afraid that I might break something. When I try to pull out the board there is just too much flex, and since it doesn't come out by using gravity I'd rather not force it as it seems to be anchored by the rca jacks and quite possibly the volume knob. Please can someone help me with this? 

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #332 of 636

The jumpers are right there, on the bottom of the PCB. They are labelled SJ1 and SJ3. Just apply some solder.

Can I still use the headphone output at the same time that I use the DAC output in this configuration?

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #333 of 636
  Can I still use the headphone output at the same time that I use the DAC output in this configuration?

Update - I just jumped it, and it works the way that I expected. I lost the rubber feet though. Does anyone know where I can order some of the exact same kind?

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #334 of 636
Can anyone speak on the DAC section of the Element? Is it really an ODAC as someone mentioned? If so, does anyone know how it compares to the Matrix M-Stage standalone DAC? I'm not talking about the cheap USB portion that's included in some of the M-Stage amps, but there is a separate DAC portion that Matrix sold for around $300 when it first came out. 

I ask, because I have the Matrix M-Stage stack, and while I'm sure I won't use the M-Stage amp anymore, I'm wondering if I should use the M-Stage DAC with the Element, or just use the Element (DAC + Amp) completely on its own. Can anyone comment on this? 

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #336 of 636
  Can anyone speak on the DAC section of the Element? Is it really an ODAC as someone mentioned? If so, does anyone know how it compares to the Matrix M-Stage standalone DAC? I'm not talking about the cheap USB portion that's included in some of the M-Stage amps, but there is a separate DAC portion that Matrix sold for around $300 when it first came out. 

I ask, because I have the Matrix M-Stage stack, and while I'm sure I won't use the M-Stage amp anymore, I'm wondering if I should use the M-Stage DAC with the Element, or just use the Element (DAC + Amp) completely on its own. Can anyone comment on this? 

I do not have nor have I ever heard the M-Stage DAC. I have done my own independent comparison, using The Element as an AMP/DAC versus using it just as an AMP with an external DAC. My preference was, it depends! I preferred the Meridian Explorer2 over the internal DAC in The Element. But I preferred the internal DAC over the HRT microStreamer. I would probably need to do the comparison again, because I was using Sennheiser HD650 headphones. And my personal views on these headphones have changed, now that I prefer a more revealing headphone sound.

I'm rambling - sorry. My question to you - why cannot you also do the same comparison for yourself, using your external DAC and your single-ended headphones? Find out for yourself which you prefer and go with that! My summary statement would be, I would never hesitate to use The Element as an AMP/DAC. In fact, I'm thinking of keeping this bedside because it can be driven from an iPhone. So it'll make for a fantastic looking and sounding, compact bedside unit.

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #337 of 636
I'm rambling - sorry. My question to you - why cannot you also do the same comparison for yourself, using your external DAC and your single-ended headphones? Find out for yourself which you prefer and go with that! 

You are absolutely correct. I guess I just got anxious and wanted to know before I received the item. 
tongue.gif

It's also interesting that you have the HD-650, since I have a pair of those, too.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what DAC I prefer on my own! I can write impressions here if people would like. 

Thanks for your input sheldaze! 

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #338 of 636
One more question (about a product I don't have 
tongue.gif
)...

Can anyone confirm if the amp section of the the Element actually measures better than the Schiit Asgard 2, or am I just reading things incorrectly? I know measurements don't say everything, and doesn't determine whether someone will prefer one thing over another subjectively, but I'm still curious...  

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #339 of 636
Has anyone tried it with a pair of speakers and a sub?I plan on ordering one with dac output,so i can use it with my speakers and sub.I have the Fiio E10k now,and the sound is very good,but i have been thinking about an upgrade for some time now,and i really like the element.Will the sound quality improve not only when using it with headphones?As for the headphones,im using the ATH M50X right now,but im also thinking about going with a pair of open headphones,like the Fidelio X2's or a Beyerdynamic.If anyone can share some experience with either of those,would be great.

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #340 of 636
Has anyone tried it with a pair of speakers and a sub?I plan on ordering one with dac output,so i can use it with my speakers and sub.I have the Fiio E10k now,and the sound is very good,but i have been thinking about an upgrade for some time now,and i really like the element.Will the sound quality improve not only when using it with headphones?As for the headphones,im using the ATH M50X right now,but im also thinking about going with a pair of open headphones,like the Fidelio X2's or a Beyerdynamic.If anyone can share some experience with either of those,would be great.
I've been using the DAC output for my subwoofers while having my headphones plugged into the headphone output, and overall that configuration has been running great and I've had no issues whatsoever. You have my blessing :) so just go for it.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #342 of 636
  Can I use the RCA inputs on The Element to drive some desktop speakers in addition to my headphones? 

Well first you need them to be RCA outputs, and second if the speakers aren't already powered you'll need to take that line out to a speaker amplifier input then take the line out from the speaker amp to your speakers.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #343 of 636
  One more question (about a product I don't have 
tongue.gif
)...

Can anyone confirm if the amp section of the the Element actually measures better than the Schiit Asgard 2, or am I just reading things incorrectly? I know measurements don't say everything, and doesn't determine whether someone will prefer one thing over another subjectively, but I'm still curious...  

Anyone? The spec sheet for JDS Element amp is here: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/, while the spec sheet for the Asgard 2 is here: http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2. It seems the Element is better at THD, Crosstalk, SNR, but again... I'm not sure if I'm reading the values correctly or not. 

I already purchased the Element, and it's going to be on my way here. And I bought it used so it's not like I can return it or anything. 
tongue.gif
 I'm just curious how it stacks up to the competition... 

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #345 of 636
Figured I'd break up the technical questions...  I recently got a different DAC/amp and my son said "Can I have the cool little black one?"  Thought I'd share a pic of the Head-fier in training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back