JDS Labs Element
Sep 30, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #301 of 636
You may be right though, maybe I want to keep the RCA inputs and run my UDA-1's DAC to the Element and simply use it for the headphone amp. I could also see myself using this in my bedroom on the nightstand. I'm sure an amp this good would get some use however I work it into my setup.

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #303 of 636
  @jseaber, would this work?:
Quote:

No, I'm talking about running my iMac USB audio > Element > UDA-1 for my amp. I would be running the audio out of the Element's headphone jack, and that seems like it would add noise, and simply not be as good as adding RCA line out and feeding those to my amp.

I'd try: iMac USB > UDA-1 > Element RCA Line-in. The UDA-1 will remain your speaker amp, and the Element will serve as your headphone amp.

If you want to feed the UDA-1 from a DAC other than its own, Element will largely be unused. An ODAC (or any standalone DAC) is more logical here.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #304 of 636
Sep 30, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #307 of 636
While its DAC is very good, I agree. Its headphone amp is so damn good that it is a shame to skip it.

I agree, while I have not tried the dac section, the amp section of the element is really pretty damn solid. Sure I won't expect it to beat amps in the kilo buck range, but at that price range, it's very impressive and a great, great listen. In fact if you ask me, the amp of the element sounds much better and much more refined than any of the dedicated schiit mid tier amps (Valhalla, Asgard, lyr)

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #308 of 636
I thought I could still plug into the headphone jack and use it even if I'm using line outs to another amp. But after evaluating the ODAC vs UDA-1, I'm convinced that BB DAC chip is superior. It also means I can probably enjoy better audio quality with the Element and have a better headphone amp in my office while maintaining the stereo amp > bookshelf speakers when I want them. The Sony headphone amp is by no means bad, but spec wise it doesn't match up to the Element. Also probably means I'll get the Element faster with no customization. Think I may pull the trigger on a B-stock unit this weekend. If so, l'll let everyone know how it works out for me once I have it.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #309 of 636
I thought I could still plug into the headphone jack and use it even if I'm using line outs to another amp. But after evaluating the ODAC vs UDA-1, I'm convinced that BB DAC chip is superior. It also means I can probably enjoy better audio quality with the Element and have a better headphone amp in my office while maintaining the stereo amp > bookshelf speakers when I want them. The Sony headphone amp is by no means bad, but spec wise it doesn't match up to the Element. Also probably means I'll get the Element faster with no customization. Think I may pull the trigger on a B-stock unit this weekend. If so, l'll let everyone know how it works out for me once I have it.

To be honest, while double amping may not be as good as taking a true line out from the RCA, it's actually nowhere near as bad as people Make it out to be. Unless the amplifier is total crap, most amplifiers are capable of putting out high quality unloaded signals (signals where the load is very high impedance. Thus when you double amp, it's actually pretty close to the line out signal. Of course there will be colouration, but it should not be too significant unless the amp is very coloured.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #310 of 636
To be honest, while double amping may not be as good as taking a true line out from the RCA, it's actually nowhere near as bad as people Make it out to be. Unless the amplifier is total crap, most amplifiers are capable of putting out high quality unloaded signals (signals where the load is very high impedance. Thus when you double amp, it's actually pretty close to the line out signal. Of course there will be colouration, but it should not be too significant unless the amp is very coloured.

I doubt most non-bats would be able to tell the difference. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #311 of 636
I just got the B-Stock Element today, and I could not for the life of me spot the cosmetic imperfections that were supposed to be on there. I'm glad that JDSLabs has this high of a level of attention to detail. I can't say if anyone else's will be the same as mine, but it was well worth the $50 difference. Also this knob is so much fun! XD

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #312 of 636
So is the headphone out supposed to get disabled when using the RCA jacks? Also I can't seem to get audio out of the RCA jacks (I used a 2xRCA to 3.5mm cable to test them on my headphones), are they only supposed work with an amp plugged in or speakers or something?

Oct 2, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #313 of 636
  So is the headphone out supposed to get disabled when using the RCA jacks? Also I can't seem to get audio out of the RCA jacks (I used a 2xRCA to 3.5mm cable to test them on my headphones), are they only supposed work with an amp plugged in or speakers or something?

The default operation of The Element is output only to the headphone, which is never disabled:

1. USB input converted from digital to analog, and output to the headphone.
  2. Once RCA is connected, analog pass thru of the sound from RCA to the headphone.

The default operation is no output from the RCA. You'll need to look through the thread for the means to switch. IIRC most users opted to have this switch made at the factory because it was not straightforward. It did not appear to be a simple switch that you would turn on and off. It was more of a permanent switch to output from RCA.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #314 of 636
I just got the B-Stock Element today, and I could not for the life of me spot the cosmetic imperfections that were supposed to be on there. I'm glad that JDSLabs has this high of a level of attention to detail. I can't say if anyone else's will be the same as mine, but it was well worth the $50 difference. Also this knob is so much fun! XD

Mine had what could maybe be described as a slight nick in the coating on the front of the unit. It may not even be a nick, more like a bump in the coating or something, was all I could find.

So far, and I haven't used it a lot yet, it sounds good but a but tight? There isnt as much instrument separation as I was expecting. It could just take some time to open up..who knows.It could also totally be its exposing my crappy internet music too....

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #315 of 636
The default operation of The Element is output only to the headphone, which is never disabled:

• USB input converted from digital to analog, and output to the headphone.
  • Once RCA is connected, analog pass thru of the sound from RCA to the headphone.

The default operation is no output from the RCA. You'll need to look through the thread for the means to switch. IIRC most users opted to have this switch made at the factory because it was not straightforward. It did not appear to be a simple switch that you would turn on and off. It was more of a permanent switch to output from RCA.
it comes with RCA IN, not RCA out. You have to choose that for your model but it will never do both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back