JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Dec 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #1,757 of 3,417
Yeah, true. But like I said, other people have said that their C5D works with stock S4 once it's on 4.3

Can you quote them so we can follow up and clarify that they are indeed using stock S4 Touchwiz w/ C5D and NOT w/ USB Audio Recorder Pro?

From my understanding and based on the Android phones and USB DAC thread, Android still does not have FULL USB Audio and is still a top outstanding issue as identified in the Google Android issue tracking page here.

Steven Kondik who is the audio developer and forum member here has created full working USB Audio for Cyanogenmod and that is the only known ROM I'm aware of that will work w/ S4 w/ pretty much every USB DAC and every music app.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,758 of 3,417
Long shot, but by chance is there a Canadian boxing day sale on C5D?

I missed out on the black friday sale and have a major itch to pick one up, especially since I have xmas money turning a hole in my pocket.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,759 of 3,417
Long shot, but by chance is there a Canadian boxing day sale on C5D?

I missed out on the black friday sale and have a major itch to pick one up, especially since I have xmas money turning a hole in my pocket.

email John directly. from the jds site.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #1,760 of 3,417
Very critical question!

I have a G Note2 (UK version not from a currier, paid in full from expansys). I works great with C5D (official 4.1.2 or 3 I don't remember) but a couple of hours ago I got a message that I can update to the official 4.3! 

Any experience with the 4.3?

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,761 of 3,417
Can you quote them so we can follow up and clarify that they are indeed using stock S4 Touchwiz w/ C5D and NOT w/ USB Audio Recorder Pro?

I've looked but actually can't find an example now, heh. But I'm sure I've seen someone say in a post that the S4 works with C5D through UAR on 4.2, but that 4.3 then allowed it to work with any player. I could be wrong, though...

Very critical question!

I have a G Note2 (UK version not from a currier, paid in full from expansys). I works great with C5D (official 4.1.2 or 3 I don't remember) but a couple of hours ago I got a message that I can update to the official 4.3! 

Any experience with the 4.3?

Weird... Surely if it works with your Note 2 it should work with my S4 : / Are you using USB Audio Recorder or a different music player?

I have since found the USB Audio Player app which plays mp3 and is more user friendly, so it's not so desperate that I sort the problem now.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,762 of 3,417
I've looked but actually can't find an example now, heh. But I'm sure I've seen someone say in a post that the S4 works with C5D through UAR on 4.2, but that 4.3 then allowed it to work with any player. I could be wrong, though...
Weird... Surely if it works with your Note 2 it should work with my S4 : / Are you using USB Audio Recorder or a different music player?

I have since found the USB Audio Player app which plays mp3 and is more user friendly, so it's not so desperate that I sort the problem now.

I did the test with the Google music app. The one the the orange headphone icon.
No special configuration. Remember to turn the galaxy volume all the way up.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,764 of 3,417
I did the test with the Google music app. The one the the orange headphone icon.
No special configuration. Remember to turn the galaxy volume all the way up.

Huh? You shouldn't be able to control the volume on your phone if you're using the C5D through USB. I tried it just now and when I used my phone volume all it did was adjust the ringer volume.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,765 of 3,417
Huh? You shouldn't be able to control the volume on your phone if you're using the C5D through USB. I tried it just now and when I used my phone volume all it did was adjust the ringer volume.

All audio even the phone tones went through the dac. I suspect that the phone volume is similar to digital volume. With full volume it was the same as macbook to dac with full mac volume.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #1,767 of 3,417
Okay, so I've had a play with the C5D using USB Audio Player and compared the sound to that of the S4's built-in DAC. I honestly can't hear a difference... With no bass boost on the C5D they're practically identical to my ear.

Now, that surely can't be right, right? I hear people complain about the Snapdragon S4 audio quality all the time, but people rant and rave about the C5D. I'd like to think I'm doing something wrong and somehow not hearing the C5D but the S4 passing straight through. Is this possible, though?

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,768 of 3,417
Okay, so I've had a play with the C5D using USB Audio Player and compared the sound to that of the S4's built-in DAC. I honestly can't hear a difference... With no bass boost on the C5D they're practically identical to my ear.

Now, that surely can't be right, right? I hear people complain about the Snapdragon S4 audio quality all the time, but people rant and rave about the C5D. I'd like to think I'm doing something wrong and somehow not hearing the C5D but the S4 passing straight through. Is this possible, though?

How do you connect the S4 to C5D when you want to listen to the built-in DAC in S4?

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #1,770 of 3,417
  Looking forward to your comparison with PHA-1. Thanks.

Finally able to compare C5D, PHA-1 and O2.

Soundstage-wise O2 is a bit wider than PHA-1 but not much and in turn wider than C5D. C5D though appears to have more depth.

Detail resolution on the highs sounds the same for C5D and O2. PHA-1 is a little brighter.

The mids are clean on O2 and a bit more forward than C5D. PHA-1 tends to be sibilant and appears to have more focus on the mids.

PHA-1 is a bit punchy compared to O2. But O2 is a bit better in clarity and details. It is also tighter. Overall the difference is subtle in the bass.

C5D appears to be not on the same league as the other 2. Have less detail and a bit muddy. That is with the bass boost at the lowest level. Turning the bass boost on gives it more volume in the bass and quite nice and enjoyable especially for bass heavy tracks. It doesn't appear to bleed into the mids but still lacks the clarity compared to O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back