JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Dec 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #1,771 of 3,417

Finally able to compare C5D, PHA-1 and O2.

Soundstage-wise O2 is a bit wider than PHA-1 but not much and in turn wider than C5D. C5D though appears to have more depth.

Detail resolution on the highs sounds the same for C5D and O2. PHA-1 is a little brighter.

The mids are clean on O2 and a bit more forward than C5D. PHA-1 tends to be sibilant and appears to have more focus on the mids.

PHA-1 is a bit punchy compared to O2. But O2 is a bit better in clarity and details. It is also tighter. Overall the difference is subtle in the bass.

C5D appears to be not on the same league as the other 2. Have less detail and a bit muddy. That is with the bass boost at the lowest level. Turning the bass boost on gives it more volume in the bass and quite nice and enjoyable especially for bass heavy tracks. It doesn't appear to bleed into the mids but still lacks the clarity compared to O2.

Thanks for the comparison. Which headphones were used ?

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,772 of 3,417
When I want to listen to the built-in DAC? I don't connect it, I just plug my headphones straight into my phone. When listening to the C5D I connect via the supplied OTG cable (and obviously plug the headphones into the C5D).

Interesting. Both DAC/amp is in play on your comparison.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,774 of 3,417
I'm really sad to say that I'm thoroughly disappointed with the C5D. Well, I guess I'm not, I'm more impressed with the level of sound quality the Snapdragon DAC built in to my S4 provides. I'm just disappointed that for £250 I couldn't get a better sound than I already had. Oh well, it's all part of the experience.

So I ended up testing the C5D from a laptop via USB, listening to part of a song, then taking my headphone jack out and putting it into my phone playing the same song from the same point (the closest I can get to AB'ing). I can honestly say, with zero effects or digital tweaks used on my S4, and with the bass boost off on the C5D, they sounded absolutely identical to my ears.

The only difference I hear in them is that, when digital tweaks are applied to the S4 (via PowerAmp's bass and treble boosts) distortion can be heard at lower volumes (or any volume for certain tracks/passages, though the only song this bothers me on is Massive Attack's Angel). This isn't the case with the C5D at all. However, as mentioned by headwhacker in his comparison, the C5D can sound a little muddy, which the treble boost in PowerAmp fixes nicely, making me happy to put up with a little barely noticeable distortion now and then.

I don't mean to bash the C5D in any way. As I said at the start of this post, I'm more just impressed at the quality my S4's built in DAC provides (especially as people have knocked it, saying iPhone has more bass and timing, or that the Wolfson S4 blows it out of the water). Compared to the laptop's built in DAC there was no competition, so I'd recommend it to people looking for an upgrade in that regard.

So I guess I'll have to sell it... I'd keep it as an amp for my future T50RPs, but I'm sure I can get cheaper for that purpose.

By the way, all testing was done using PSB M4U 1 headphones.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,778 of 3,417
By the way, all testing was done using PSB M4U 1 headphones.

Not to bash the PSB as I have tried them, and they are great headphones, but they are made for portable use, they are not very revealing of bad sources. They are easy to drive too, amping isn't going to make a big difference.
Before you got the C5D you should have thought about if your headphones would benefit from having one.

I highly recommend waiting before you sell the C5D, test it with some more revealing headphones.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #1,779 of 3,417

Not to bash the PSB as I have tried them, and they are great headphones, but they are made for portable use, they are not very revealing of bad sources. They are easy to drive too, amping isn't going to make a big difference.
Before you got the C5D you should have thought about if your headphones would benefit from having one.

I highly recommend waiting before you sell the C5D, test it with some more revealing headphones.

I did wonder if perhaps that was the case, after reading someone saying they liked certain headphones because they scaled well with equipment.

Also I never expected to hear any difference through the amp only, but surely I should be able to hear some difference from the DAC.

However, I am keen to keep it. Could you recommend some cheaper headphones that scale well? Or common ones I could almost certainly find in a local shop? Do the Fostex T50RPs scale well, before and or after modding?

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #1,780 of 3,417
I have not heard stock T50rp

But cheaper that scale well with amplification and what not are:
German Maestro GMP 8.35D (fine from portable source, better with amp, velour pads will make them more comfortable but takes some warmth away, which is where the bass boost helps)
SoundMAGIC HP100
German Maestro GMP 450pro
Beyerdynamic DT990/770

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #1,781 of 3,417
Darn, I had a pair of HP100s as well. Wonder if Amazon will let me buy them and potentially return them again.

But again, does that not mainly go for the amp? Surely the DAC should make a bigger difference? Or at least some difference? Or are you saying those headphones will reveal a difference?

Thanks for your help by the way.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #1,784 of 3,417
An amp will make more difference than a DAC.

But you should notice a difference from the DAC and amp both with the headphones I mentioned.
You should look at getting the HP100 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back