Is the iMod worth the extra $199 ?
Oct 24, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #121 of 337
well, you guys have done it again...just bought a 40gb 4th gen off ebay, and will send it to vinnie to be modded when i receive it. i really like the sound from my 2g nano with e500's and "m" hornet, but hopefully, this will take everything to an even higher level. just couldn't resist at least trying.

on another not, is the best mini to mini to be had from alo?

damn you all!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #122 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by sberger
well, you guys have done it again...just bought a 40gb 4th gen off ebay, and will send it to vinnie to be modded when i receive it. i really like the sound from my 2g nano with e500's and "m" hornet, but hopefully, this will take everything to an even higher level. just couldn't resist at least trying.

on another not, is the best mini to mini to be had from alo?

damn you all!
rolleyes.gif

Not that its any of my business, but why didnt you get a 60gb? Small price difference for a relatively expensive mod IMO.

Anyway, the best alo is contingent on your purpose. Portability- I would get the cryo and never look back- very tough little cable. If you are using a bag or something, however, the cotton sounds a little better, and the new Jumbo is supposedly better still (although I've never heard a jumbo).

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #123 of 337
Regarding the Imod- my setup sounds better and better every day. I got a little busy after the first 50 hours of burn in and didnt burn it in for a couple of weeks. Over the last week, I have been burning it and my Xin amp in heavily. The setup sounds great- blows the 5g ipod out of the water. I cant really explain sound very well, but its almost like the sound has gone from a little small to expansive, if that makes any sense.

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #124 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
Not that its any of my business, but why didnt you get a 60gb? Small price difference for a relatively expensive mod IMO.

Anyway, the best alo is contingent on your purpose. Portability- I would get the cryo and never look back- very tough little cable. If you are using a bag or something, however, the cotton sounds a little better, and the new Jumbo is supposedly better still (although I've never heard a jumbo).

honestly, i couldn't find a 60gb for less than $200, and most were more. the 40gb was $145 including shipping. plus, the seller claims it's very lightly used, so it will be nice to not get one too beat up. im happy with an 8gb nano now, so 40gb will be plenty.

im currently using a cryo dock, so i'll probably go for the cryo mini. anybody try the audiopath mini that vinny sells? or compare it the alo stuff?

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #125 of 337
Well, guys, it looks like there may be another iModder in the works here....

rolleyes.gif

Just bought a new 60GB Photo today....should have it by Monday hopefully....

Probably will iMod it in a bit.....

wink.gif

However, need to get an amp for speakers first....have been searching for a place that has the little Sonic Impact 'T amp' (the cheap one (+/- $30), not the $160 one...) but everywhere I look it's not in stock.....anyone know where I can one???....

Thanks to all for your help!

Mark

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #126 of 337
Just bought an iModded iPod! It should arrive early next week, I think. It's a 60GB photo with an upgraded battery and a Vaja case, plus a few other things. I'll be using it with an ISA Diablo when it ships, and ACS T2i earphones.

But until then, the PA2v2 and HD545 will hold me over. I'll be posing a review of that setup soon.

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #127 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce
I'll be using it with an ISA Diablo when it ships, and ACS T2i earphones.

What a crappy little setup you are getting there!
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #128 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce
Just bought an iModded iPod! It should arrive early next week, I think. It's a 60GB photo with an upgraded battery and a Vaja case, plus a few other things. I'll be using it with an ISA Diablo when it ships, and ACS T2i earphones.

But until then, the PA2v2 and HD545 will hold me over. I'll be posing a review of that setup soon.

Could you please tell me what is the upgraded battery?
Where did you get the vaja case?
Thanks.

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #129 of 337
Hello again,

I just got my refurbished Apple 60G ipod and I am thinking to modify it to be imod, and here I have some questions on my mind which I hope you kindly will help me resolve them.

I have all kind of music, in 4 languages, all MP3 and 128 Bit Rate.

1. Does it worth it to modify my ipod to imod for the kind of music I have? Would imod be good and improve the sound of music in 128 Bit Rate MP3?

2. I have a notebook and I installed a Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS 24bit sound card. This is hooked up to my Denon receiver and that how I listen to my 128 Bit Rate MP3 music. Now my question is if I hook up the imod to my receiver would the quality of the sound be better than the notebook and the sound card?

3. If you any other thought in regard to this kindly share it.

Thanks for you help.

Mo:)

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #130 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by moshken
Does it worth it to modify my ipod to imod for the kind of music I have? Would imod be good and improve the sound of music in 128 Bit Rate MP3?

Vinnie, the manufacturer, recommends using uncompressed or lossless files for the iMod. It seems there would be no point in getting the iMod if you plan to listen to 128 mp3 files on it, because you would be able to hear the compression of these files even more.

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #131 of 337
200 dollars for line out... you must be kidding me and I always have to lug around an amp. There aren't any abx tests just eulogistic praise from raving lunatics.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #132 of 337
wanderman wrote
Quote:

200 dollars for line out... you must be kidding me and I always have to lug around an amp. There aren't any abx tests just eulogistic praise from raving lunatics.

...attacking us personally only proves that you have no basic knowledge of crital thinking. Please do your homework.

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #133 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman

Love this comment, next I suggest we do a double blind test!
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #134 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman

I volunteer to do the test to prove it, just tell me what software to use. I have two 4G iPod's, one iModded, and one not. Let me know what software or equipment I can use to do it. I would love to prove it once and for all for all the doubters. I was amongst you, and had the burning desire to finally get it over with. Its a lot more than a line out. It changed the entire sound of my iPod. I didn't know that music could sound so good coming out of such a small unit. I used to own a recording studio in Brooklyn, if that lends me any credibility. But alas, why waste time convincing the unconvinced now that I have my unit and am pleased. I hardly check the boards anymore since getting this thing, I'm too busy enjoying it. The sound quality is so good, I have no need to read about new gadgets, or upgrades. I've got all I wanted.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #135 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton
...attacking us personally only proves that you have no basic knowledge of crital thinking. Please do your homework.

I love this one, "crital thinking". I have actually done quite a bit of homework.

edit: bamboobrown if you have a friend could you just have him switch between both players assuming that the volume is matched. An rmaa test would also be quite helpful to see if the players measure any differently. If you don't have a friend for the listening test you could just record the output of the two different ipods to a pc and abx them through foobar2000. Contact me via pm if any of my text is unclear. If they sound different a computer will be able to show that but better is completely different issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back