Is the iMod worth the extra $199 ?
Oct 28, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #136 of 337
wanderman said:
I love this one, "crital thinking". I have actually done quite a bit of homework.

have you? i bet you haven't even heard the imod. i can only wonder why you're so aggressive in your trashing of something you haven't yourself tested. i can come up with a couple of reasons, but rather than speculate, perhaps you can enlighten us lunatics. what's your agenda, amigo. rave on...

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #137 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
I love this one, "crital thinking". I have actually done quite a bit of homework.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sberger
have you? i bet you haven't even heard the imod. i can only wonder why you're so aggressive in your trashing of something you haven't yourself tested. i can come up with a couple of reasons, but rather than speculate, perhaps you can enlighten us lunatics. what's your agenda, amigo. rave on...

I'm so tired of this ridiculous debate. Everyone who thinks that Wanderman lacks critical thinking is a fanatic fundamentalist who goes beyond the call of reason and loses the very ground they stand upon by removing the their own footing. Has no one read John Stuart Mill. The very nature of truth lies in the ability to question things, and the more something is questioned, the more it is given the chance to prove its worth. Without this as the foundation of truth, we have nothing but propaganda perpetuated by the masses. Does the tyranny of the masses define what is true? Or is truth self-evident in its ability to stand up on its own?

Let Wanderman question whether it is a worthwhile investment without chastising him, if the iMod is that great of a modification, it will speak for itself. Now I come to a problem in helping to resolve this is a scientific manner, I have two iPod's, but without a lineout for the non-iMod, it is impossible to set the volumes to the same level, and RMAA gives me such varied results based on the volume that goes into my computer, and for some dumb reason, when I plug my iMod or my other iPod into the line in of my computer, there is still a volume level attached to it, rather than a fixed level of input. So if everyone here can put their heads together and help me come up with a test that will satisfy everyone's curiosity, I will go about carrying one out.

Here are a couple of scenarios:

A) I live on a college campus, I could seriously go about doing an ABX test with at least 25 people, anymore than that I cannot commit to, exams and what not take up most of my life.

B) Someone can send me a dock line out on loan so that I could carry out the test. We could work out something, like I send them a check to hold on to until it gets returned to them, or I make a deposit into PayPal, or something that everyone is comfortable with, to ensure that no one gets cheated.

C) I could post an audio file, and someone with an iPod and a line out could run RMAA and we could compare our results.

Either way, lets just get this settled once and for all. I know for a fact, after having doubted everything that the iMod will stand out far above a regular iPod, in the unscientific comparison between my iMod and my iPod, the iMod beat out the iPod in the dynamic range by about 13 on the high end and 5 on the low end. Any volunteers on helping me complete this project?

Oct 28, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #138 of 337
Quote:

I'm so tired of this ridiculous debate. Everyone who thinks that Wanderman lacks critical thinking is a fanatic fundamentalist who goes beyond the call of reason and loses the very ground they stand upon by removing the their own footing. Has no one read John Stuart Mill.

And I am tired of people who tell me what I am or what I know or what I have read or not without knowing me.
Please stop calling me fundamentalist or raving lunatic. That is an insult and not the base of any critical thinking or applied logic reasoning.
I take this very personal and if we cannot argue in a friendly and unbiased way, I will have to report these posts.
Nobody is against testing the iMod or proving anything. If it can be done and will offer a deeper insight, be my guest.
But this here is a forum for enthusiast, not a scientific proving ground and as long as we "raving lunatics" do not sell any products or profit in any way by offering our believes, we do not have to prove anything to anybody. Period.

Oct 28, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #139 of 337
Can't we all just get along?
confused.gif
no religion, no politics works at the bar...

Anyway, I'm pretty interested in this thread. I decided to get an old ipod photo and imod after reading this thread and much other happy testimony on headfi. Funded it by returning a pair of e500... go etymotic! Vinnie just got my ipod this past thursday, and I can't wait.

Even so, I am a bit skeptical and being something of a statistician, I like all the blind testing and analytical measurement talk. As for what I can do myself, it seems like comparing a high quality recording of the line out with and w/o imod would do it... but is this realistic? Does it take high grade audio equipment to make good enough recordings? What kind of software is good for making such comparisons? It's something I'd like to learn more about.

In general, how do you guys go about evaluating your audio gear? I try pretty hard to compare stuff critically... but sometimes it's hard to make decisions... esp. for somebody w/o golden ears. ABX testing? Extended listening and impressions? I find I'm very biased towards liking the last thing I listened to best.

Cheers!
-Will

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #140 of 337
wanderman,

I have an Idea. Get yourself a 4th gen 20,40 or 60GB ipod send it to Vinnie for the Imod and do your own abx tests. Everybody else here with the imod is perfectly happy with theirs. We don't have anything to proof. If you want to know do it yourself.

Siebel

Oct 28, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #141 of 337
Quote:

wanderman,

I have an Idea. Get yourself a 4th gen 20,40 or 60GB ipod send it to Vinnie for the Imod and do your own abx tests. Everybody else here with the imod is perfectly happy with theirs. We don't have anything to proof. If you want to know do it yourself.

Siebel

exactly.

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #142 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebel
I have an Idea. Get yourself a 4th gen 20,40 or 60GB ipod send it to Vinnie for the Imod and do your own abx tests. Everybody else here with the imod is perfectly happy with theirs. We don't have anything to proof. If you want to know do it yourself

I don't have 200 dollars to waste on snake oil, but I guess I am just going to start looking on ebay for some 4th gen ipods.

There aren't any arguments in this thread when someone question the validity of the claims here they just get swatted down by all the users who feel obligated to defend their purchase. What would one do if you realized you spent 200 dollars on something that does what a 10 dollar dock connector does?

you aren't fundamentalist or lunatics you are fanbois. You paid vinnie not the other way around. I do plan on getting to ipods and doing imod test btw.

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #143 of 337
Quote:

I don't have 200 dollars to waste on snake oil, but I guess I am just going to start looking on ebay for some 4th gen ipods.

There aren't any arguments in this thread when someone question the validity of the claims here they just get swatted down by all the users who feel obligated to defend their purchase. What would one do if you realized you spent 200 dollars on something that does what a 10 dollar dock connector does?

you aren't fundamentalist or lunatics you are fanbois. You paid vinnie not the other way around. I do plan on getting to ipods and doing imod test btw.

i still don't get why you insist on being so damn abrasive in your questioning. you haven't even heard the mod, but you knock and criticize those that have it and like it. and you continue to do so with a real nasty tone. do yourself a favor. think before you post. see if you can state your opinions in a way that does not insult or attack others. you'll be taken much more seriously.

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #144 of 337
Quote:

You speak to soon. It isn't snake oil. LOL. You'll find out in due time. I mean, if I got duped for $200.00, I wouldn't waste my time harping up how good a product is. I would direct that energy towards warning everyone who hasn't gotten one, to stay the hell away from it. Are you telling me that there isn't one person with integrity on these boards, and for the hundreds of iMod's which Vinnie has sold, has anyone ever complained? No. No one has complained, and to assume that everyone who ordered one is spineless and would take being ripped off sitting down is a absolute nonsense. And maybe I was too quick to defend your questioning of whether it works or not, you definitely need an attitude readjustment. Apologies to anyone who I offended with my previous rant, I just thing that there should be room for questioning. And as far as us being "fanbois," I'd say, we aren't fanbois, you're just sour grapes cause you don't have the $200 lying around to get the job done.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #147 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by sberger
i still don't get why you insist on being so damn abrasive in your questioning. you haven't even heard the mod, but you knock and criticize those that have it and like it. and you continue to do so with a real nasty tone. do yourself a favor. think before you post. see if you can state your opinions in a way that does not insult or attack others. you'll be taken much more seriously.

I don't mind the fact that you don't approve of my tone I just greet people with the same tone I observe. What does chastising someone over the internet accomplish... It is the internet ...

We will see bamboobrown but sour grapes do make fine wines. let the ebay search begin...

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #148 of 337
You are clearly not observing the tone on this forum very well then
biggrin.gif

I'd give Vinnie 400 bucks to put snake oil in my iPod -but then again I'm just a raving lunatic
biggrin.gif
/fanboy
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #149 of 337
words like "fanboy," "lunatic," "snakeoil" are themselves incendiary, even if you don't mean to be. perhaps the use of different words may lessen the perceived hostility
wink.gif

i have no problems with wanderman's skepticism...$200 is not chump change for many of us and it's quite within the realm of normal financial responsibility to question whether it is prudent to spend such amount on something unknown. i know it was tough for me when i eventually got the mod.

the only problem i have with wanderman's opposition is that he has not heard the imod. although it is right to question the work being done, the parts used, the ABX tests performed/not performed, etc., it's still his responsibility to at least listen to it before so vociferously opposing it. if and when wanderman does get to test it and still does not like it, then i have no problems with that. just my 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #150 of 337
Kumbayah my Lord, kumbayah,

Kumbayah my Lord, kumbayah....

I haven't heard an iMod iPod before, but I'm sure it's not snake-oil.

Anyway,

Someones singing lord, kumbaya

Someones singing lord, kumbaya...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back