Is the iMod worth the extra $199 ?
Aug 23, 2006 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 337

JayJayz

100+ Head-Fier
what do you imod owners think, was it a drastic improvement, worth $199 !?

would that extra money be better spent buying a 5th gen ipod with an ALO lineout dock ?

the 5g + the cotton dock seems to be a very nice combination !

Aug 23, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 337
Can't compare it to the 5G ipod never owned one. But Yes to me it was definitely worth $199 + Vinnie is a great guy to work with and his customer service is second to none. I also have mine paired with Rockbox and Flac and it is awesome.

Siebel

Sep 1, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 337
i finally got the imod last night and man, the sound is awesome!!! the music just sounds soooo clear and clean. right now i'm using the imod connecting it to my PA2v2 through generic mini to mini cable. comparing this to my 5G with cotton dock, i'd have to say that the imod sounded much better.

comparing the 5G ipod using generic mini cable vs cotton dock, the generic cable sounded like crap.

imo, the imod made a much clearer improvement to the sound than the cotton dock.

i can't wait till i get the cryo mini to mini, then my setup will be almost complete! you know, in the end, you should get both the imod and a good mini to mini cable. just buy one, then save up for the other. both are money well spent.

Sep 1, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 337
i, too, am a huge fan of vinnie's iMod and feel it was worth every penny. however, you should shoot him an email first. he is refocusing his business and has dropped a number of his products - one i was planning on purchasing dagnabit! looks like he is still doing the mods he offers but make sure before you have your heart set on it.

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 337
I guess there will be a lot of moaning around here if Vinnie should decide to drop the iMod as well. But we should not speculate about it.
I can only repeat what I wrote in several other threads:
The iMod is a huge step up when it comes to sound improvement. No IC or amp can make such a difference.
But you will need to keep in mind that you need an amp for the setup.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 337
I HAVE NO DOUBTS THAT AN IMOD SOUND GREAT AND IS FAIRLY PRICED FOR THE WORK PERFORMED !!

But:

(1) I own a 4th generation iPod and it has acted-up on more than one occasion. No problem, just send your iMod iPod to Apple and they will fix it. No! The iPod you send in is NOT the one that is returned. The iPod you send to Apple is replaced with a refurbished unit;

(2) I have serious doubts that putting $200.00 into something that cost $400.00 and is now two years old is smart;

and,

(3) The use of your iMod iPod will become restricted. You HAVE to use an amp with your iPod. The line-out will not work with automobile tape or fm adaptors.

Sep 4, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 337
Quote:

But:

(1) I own a 4th generation iPod and it has acted-up on more than one occasion. No problem, just send your iMod iPod to Apple and they will fix it. No! The iPod you send in is NOT the one that is returned. The iPod you send to Apple is replaced with a refurbished unit;

(2) I have serious doubts that putting $200.00 into something that cost $400.00 and is now two years old is smart;

and,

(3) The use of your iMod iPod will become restricted. You HAVE to use an amp with your iPod. The line-out will not work with automobile tape or fm adaptors.

to 1. Vinnie told the community more then once that he will repair iMod iPods or change the batteries or hard drive when needed for free. You are just supposed to send the replacement parts and some money for shipping. If you lost your guarantee this will be most likely more difficult and expansive with Apple.

to 2. Aren`t we all a little bit crazy when it comes to our hobbies?

to 3. I just agree.

Like with everything else getting an iMod or not is no easy descision. You will have to check your priorities before a purchase. This helps a lot.
It is also a matter of money. If you do not care how much money to invest into portable music, just go ahead and get the iMod. You can play around with it, compare it to other setups etc. But if you have only money for one DAP you should take your time to find out what really suits your needs IMO.

Sep 6, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 337
Quote:

One of problem may need to consider may be airport security. A imodded ipod may have difficult get into the plane as hand carry.

Can you please explain your statement.
Do you mean they will not accept the needed amp?
I do not think they will open up the iPod or have iPod shematics lying around.

Sep 6, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by haycheng
One of problem may need to consider may be airport security. A imodded ipod may have difficult get into the plane as hand carry.

Nope. I have done this several times since the last tightening, zero problems.

The iMod is perhaps the best $200 I have spent on audio in a long, long time. I loved the ipod's convenience but knew it was a sonic compromise. Not after the iMod. The IMod iPod compares favorably to CD players costing $1K. I know, I have done the comparison! It's a true high-end music source. Worth every penny, and then some.

Sep 6, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 337
Fellow imod users, can you please help me do this short test?

As follows: connect your imod to any amp with it on 'pause', and turn that amp on to maximum volume with a low impedence headphone/earphone. Does it pick up background hiss?

I'm wondering because since I've owned my imod, i've been getting that. Background hiss seems to be picked up from the source.

I've recently spoked to Vinnie about it, and he says it's not supposed to be like this. Just checking with you guys. I hate to have it sent back because it's my only source...

Thanks in advance

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by hansel_ng
Fellow imod users, can you please help me do this short test?

As follows: connect your imod to any amp with it on 'pause', and turn that amp on to maximum volume with a low impedence headphone/earphone. Does it pick up background hiss?

I'm wondering because since I've owned my imod, i've been getting that. Background hiss seems to be picked up from the source.

I've recently spoked to Vinnie about it, and he says it's not supposed to be like this. Just checking with you guys. I hate to have it sent back because it's my only source...

Thanks in advance

I just went and checked - zero hiss at all, even at max volume on my Meier amp. DEAD quiet. As it should be.

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6

Is this true even for earbuds such as E500? Is it mandatory or is it recommended to improve the listening experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back