Is it worth it upgrading LCD2 to LCD3?
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #91 of 166
Still say we need a HD800 vs LCD-3 show-down and in-depth review sooner rather than later 
smile.gif

Where are the official reviews from the pro mags by the way!? 4 days after release from
Veteran's Day and Google shows up tumbleweed and a barren landscape lacking reviews.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #92 of 166
So far I gather that the LCD-3 sounds different than the LCD-2, and that the LCD-2 rev.2 sounds different than the original.

But different does not necessarily mean better...

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #93 of 166
You should. Everyone should. Mine is just one man's opinion (mine), and I don't try to convince anyone it's worth any more than that.

Head-Fi is a niche, and given the number of sponsors here, many of the products we discuss on Head-Fi happen to be sponsor-made products. I imagine, then, that this instills doubt with you about much of what I say. I understand that, and I can live with that.

I don't lie about my opinion. I don't say I think something sounds good that I don't think sounds good, sponsor or not. I don't say I think something sounds great that I don't think sounds great, sponsor or not. So when, in two videos (and in the upcoming gift guide), I said that I think the Stax SR-009 is the best sounding headphone ever made (to me, based on what I've heard, and my preferences), I said so because that is indeed my opinion.

And Stax isn't a sponsor. Never has been. I don't believe they've ever bought any type of ad here. Which means I think a non-sponsor's product sounds better than anything currently (or ever) made by our sponsors, and I've said as much several times.

Still, I don't expect you or anyone else to value that as anything more than my opinion, for whatever that's worth to you (if anything at all).

Well said.

Personally I have zero desire for the LCD-3s. There is a limit as to how much clarity can improve your listening enjoyment and the LCD-2 is there if not past, for my ears in any event. You may get more immediate WOW from the LCD-3's (I wouldn't know having never heard them), but I don't think it will increase my enjoyment of the music I like.

Couple that with the price, and the fact that I like the look of the LCD-2 better, and I'm happy to ignore this upgrade completely.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #94 of 166

Quote:
Still say we need a HD800 vs LCD-3 show-down and in-depth review sooner rather than later 
smile.gif

Where are the official reviews from the pro mags by the way!? 4 days after release from
Veteran's Day and Google shows up tumbleweed and a barren landscape lacking reviews.

Hey! I'm reviewing rapper cans. Critical work.  

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #95 of 166

Quote:

Looking forward to the nitty gritty details Tyll,

You've got a bit of an Aussie "Inner Fidelity' following down under 

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #97 of 166

Quote:

Tyll, did anyone ever tell you that you look like The Engineering Guy on Youtube. You really reminded me of him. Both of you are very talented and knowledgeable.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #98 of 166

Quote:
Quote:
smile.gif

What? The Quincy Jones series?
k701smile.gif

Ok, jokes aside, someone suggested the Denon cans before and after the markl/Lawton Audio treatment.  Other than that, I hope you'll update your big high-end can post with your LCD-3 impressions.

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #100 of 166
What the SR-009 did is legitimize / create a small market for 3000$ dynamic headphones. After the huge financial success that is the Edition10 (snap!), my guess is someone else will step in. Let's just hope it's not Snoop or John Mayer. :)

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #102 of 166
Man, I just sold my LCD-2s having since received the 3s. What are you talking about?
L3000.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #103 of 166

Quote:
What the SR-009 did is legitimize / create a small market for 3000$ dynamic headphones. After the huge financial success that is the Edition10 (snap!), my guess is someone else will step in. Let's just hope it's not Snoop or John Mayer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Too late - here he is modelling the Alessandro / Grado prototype on the streets of New York

John Mayer Alessandro Not-Quite-A-Pro - estimated street price $4000 - priceless

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #104 of 166
Too late - here he is modelling the Alessandro / Grado prototype on the streets of New York

John Mayer Alessandro Not-Quite-A-Pro - estimated street price $4000 - priceless

I have seen a few people walking around with the "woody" grado's and it makes me wonder what is the point. In my experience they have all the sound insulation of a net! You would have to crank up the volume so much you would be deaf in thirty minutes.. Maybe it is just to look cool :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back