Is it worth it upgrading LCD2 to LCD3?
Nov 23, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #106 of 166
I am pretty convinced that lcd3 is worthwhile if I had an awesome cd player, a darkstar and a PS audio perfect wave, but i wanna know...if its worthwhile to upgrade if my source files are mostly internet media like youtube or mog? if my DAC is "just" a bifrost? if my amp is "just" a lyr or concerto? 

I don't know whats the most popular combination w/ the lcd2, but I imagine most people w/ lcd2 like me have a set up comprable to this...

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #107 of 166

Quote:
I am pretty convinced that lcd3 is worthwhile if I had an awesome cd player, a darkstar and a PS audio perfect wave, but i wanna know...if its worthwhile to upgrade if my source files are mostly internet media like youtube or mog? if my DAC is "just" a bifrost? if my amp is "just" a lyr or concerto? 

I don't know whats the most popular combination w/ the lcd2, but I imagine most people w/ lcd2 like me have a set up comprable to this...

All fair points rrahman ~ still you don't have to look far to see that many on Head-Fi have 'Aladdin Caves' for a rig too, and
yes the LCD-2 is part of that treasure trove so when the LCD-3 arrives......cha-ching 
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #108 of 166
Several reviews mentioned that not worth in upgrading from LCD2-r2 to LCD3.

True?

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #109 of 166
^^

Not sure what you mean by several reviewers? By far, the vast majority say that it is worth the sonic improvements (I being one of them). I am a little concerned that the prices of headphones are going crazy over the past few years, but that's more of a general comment towards all flagship headphones.

The LCD-3s basically "fixed" all the issues I had with either the LCD-2 rev. 1 or rev. 2. They are phenomenal headphones IMO. Whether 2x the price is worth it, that's for you to decide AFTER hearing both. Obviously for me it was as I've sold off my LCD-2s and dropped the $2K to pick up the LCD-3s (put my money were my mouth is so to speak
biggrin.gif
).

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #110 of 166
Must admit after spending two hours listening to Iris Dement on my LCD2 Rev1's I am happy to remain in blissful ignorance. The upgrade path finally ended with these phones for me. Each to his own though. I am sure many think me nuts for spending what I did on my Rev1's!

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #111 of 166

Quote:
Must admit after spending two hours listening to Iris Dement on my LCD2 Rev1's I am happy to remain in blissful ignorance. The upgrade path finally ended with these phones for me. Each to his own though. I am sure many think me nuts for spending what I did on my Rev1's!

No one here would think that!

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #112 of 166
After went through few reviews, I would like to confirm that, can I conclude it is not worth to upgrade from lcd2 r2 to lcd3 if u do not have a 1st class high-end amp. The sound quality would be the same for lcd2.r2 and lcd3 if u r using 2nd or below class amp.

Am I correct to say that?

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #113 of 166

Quote:
After went through few reviews, I would like to confirm that, can I conclude it is not worth to upgrade from lcd2 r2 to lcd3 if u do not have a 1st class high-end amp. The sound quality would be the same for lcd2.r2 and lcd3 if u r using 2nd or below class amp.
Am I correct to say that?

One could argue that if you're not using a very reasonable mid-range at minimum amp for the LCD-2 in the first place
~ you're not hearing much there either 
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #114 of 166
I Agree, you need a good amp for either Versions though from what I am reading you need an even better set up to get the full Monty out of the '3's which is normally the case in audio, the more revealing the component the more it shows up the weakness of other components. Yet another reason for me to not upgrade as for the foreseable future I am restricted to portable amps of which the two I have do extremely well with the '2's! Certainly comparable to home Amps I have heard with my phones.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #115 of 166
With my Violectric V200 -- a very good amp, but not a truly "first-class, high-end amp" -- the sonic differences between the LCD-2.2 and LCD-3 are readily apparent: the LCD-3 has smoother response across all frequencies, deeper and tighter bass but slightly less bass presence, vastly improved sounstage, and smooth and non-fatiguing highs.

So while I'd agree it takes a pretty good amp to fully appreciate the LCD-3, it took a pretty good amp to fully appreciate the LCD-2.2 in the first place. If you're driving your 2s with anything less than a Lyr, I would suggest that an amp upgrade might be more worthwhile than a can upgrade. But if you're already at Lyr-quality or above and find the LCD-2.2 to have weaknesses and qualities that could be improved, the LCD-3 might just be worth it for you.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #116 of 166
Thanks!

Quote:
With my Violectric V200 -- a very good amp, but not a truly "first-class, high-end amp" -- the sonic differences between the LCD-2.2 and LCD-3 are readily apparent: the LCD-3 has smoother response across all frequencies, deeper and tighter bass but slightly less bass presence, vastly improved sounstage, and smooth and non-fatiguing highs.

So while I'd agree it takes a pretty good amp to fully appreciate the LCD-3, it took a pretty good amp to fully appreciate the LCD-2.2 in the first place. If you're driving your 2s with anything less than a Lyr, I would suggest that an amp upgrade might be more worthwhile than a can upgrade. But if you're already at Lyr-quality or above and find the LCD-2.2 to have weaknesses and qualities that could be improved, the LCD-3 might just be worth it for you.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #117 of 166
I guess I will invest in a phonitor better then. THanks for the info.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #118 of 166
Do you think the LCD2 would pair well with the Woo Audio WA6.. I believe it has 2W output, is that sufficient to really drive the LCD2s to their "potential"?

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #119 of 166
You'll have better luck with that inquiry in the LCD-2 amp thread, where this was just asked and answered 
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #120 of 166
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back