Is it worth it upgrading LCD2 to LCD3?
Dec 30, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #121 of 166

Found the magic today - Sugden Masterclass HA-4 and LCD-3 ~ the edgy neutral flavor of the Sugden
 matched the LCD3's robust signature just perfectly, there has been a bit of talk of a slight veil, I found
 this combo lifted it completely. LCD-3 cable used was an ALO Lariat with Furutech 1/4 adapter.

I can second that the V200 and LCD-3 is not the best of matches, even worse with a warmish,
 earthy DAC like the Rega.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #122 of 166

Quote:
Do you think the LCD2 would pair well with the Woo Audio WA6.. I believe it has 2W output, is that sufficient to really drive the LCD2s to their "potential"?

The WA6SE can output 1.9W into 60 ohms. The WA6 is rated at 550mW.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #123 of 166

Quote:
The WA6SE can output 1.9W into 60 ohms. The WA6 is rated at 550mW.

yea I recently found this out.. I'm actually contacting Jack to see if I can make a switch and limit the restocking fee... I feel like the SE will likely be more future proof...

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #124 of 166

Quote:
yea I recently found this out.. I'm actually contacting Jack to see if I can make a switch and limit the restocking fee... I feel like the SE will likely be more future proof...

Jack's a good guy, you're in good hands.
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #125 of 166

Quote:
Must admit after spending two hours listening to Iris Dement on my LCD2 Rev1's I am happy to remain in blissful ignorance. The upgrade path finally ended with these phones for me. Each to his own though. I am sure many think me nuts for spending what I did on my Rev1's!

Said it well, I think the LCD-2 rev.1 are fantastic phones, fit/finish/quality are exceptional and they sound great...as you move up is always the law of diminishing returns as with anything, someone mentioned cars, even Porsche to Porsche, that $50K upgrade performance package gives you a second if that 0-100....anyway, I am blessed to own some nice cans and the LCD-2 made in the USA are a fantastic set of phones IMHO 

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #126 of 166
I definitely do not regret putting a few bucks into the Paradox'. For what he charged, he made a great closed headphone, I think it's all I need. Very satisfied.

Quote:
yo dbel... Respect your work man, but there are others who feel the same way. If you weren't so used to paying ahem... what you are willing to pay.. you'd agree too. Just saying you're already for some reason willing to pay it.

This is no supercar, it's a headphone. an x2 headphone. Mod T50 instead. Promise you'll be surprised.

Glad you enjoyed a laugh. :wink: Hope you enjoy spending 2 grand. *shrugs*

1. n3rdling
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1309205259.png
  4. offline
  1. 1,739 Posts. Joined 2/2008
  2. Location: Los Angeles

Thanks Marv for putting this together, was great fun. :)

Didn't listen to that much:

AD2000: A bit disappointing to me.  I'd never heard these before and was hoping the hype from a couple of members was warranted, but they were pretty average sounding to me.  Really grainy sounding which was annoying.

LFF's modded T50RPs:  Highlight of the meet for me personally.  Best ortho I've ever heard, only ortho that has a good amount of air and a nice soundstage.  This sounded more like an open headphone really...it totally caught me off gaurd.  Tonal balance was fantastic, very similar to the SR009 but wasn't as refined/fast/open.  

LCD3: I don't have much of a reaction to this headphone.  Sounded more balanced than the LCD2rev1 I had (haven't heard rev2).  Overall good but not a giant killer by any means in my mind.  I was thinking of buying one but am no longer interested.

There are many other reputables around here who have heard them who feel the same way.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 31, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #127 of 166
They do sound extremely good for a closed can under 150$. Probably the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Quote:
LFF's modded T50RPs:  Highlight of the meet for me personally.  Best ortho I've ever heard, only ortho that has a good amount of air and a nice soundstage.  This sounded more like an open headphone really...it totally caught me off gaurd.  Tonal balance was fantastic, very similar to the SR009 but wasn't as refined/fast/open.  
       Is this the same as Smeggy Thunderpants?
       Is there any link for the modification
thanks,

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #131 of 166
Bit the bullet-

Just sold my LCD2 v2 and will receive a pair of LCD3's tomorrow!

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #132 of 166
Quote:
Bit the bullet-

Just sold my LCD2 v2 and will receive a pair of LCD3's tomorrow!

Hey congrats! I think you'll be thrilled with the LCD-3s. Next to the SR-009s, they are the best cans I've heard eva! 

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #133 of 166
Spent a few hours listening to the LCD3s today and here are my thoughts-

The ear pads are MUCH more comfortable.  Fit and finish is very nice.

Sound- there is a difference to my ears.  Soundstage, transparency and detail (air/treble) are improved, but what about the bass?  They go just as deep, but imo not as weighty as the LCD2?  Wasnt expecting that and its almost a deal killer for me. 
Ok, the phones are about a month old, and Im not sure how much the previous owner used them.  Maybe they need some time to break-in? 

Worth 1000.00 more over LCD2 v2?  Hmm... will have to get back to you on that.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #134 of 166
Quote:
Spent a few hours listening to the LCD3s today and here are my thoughts-

The ear pads are MUCH more comfortable.  Fit and finish is very nice.

Sound- there is a difference to my ears.  Soundstage, transparency and detail (air/treble) are improved, but what about the bass?  They go just as deep, but imo not as weighty as the LCD2?  Wasnt expecting that and its almost a deal killer for me. 
Ok, the phones are about a month old, and Im not sure how much the previous owner use them.  Maybe they need some time to break-in? 

Worth 1000.00 more over LCD2 v2?  Hmm... will have to get back to you on that.

The bass between the two measures quite similar, but I agree that the LCD-2/2's bass is weightier...and not as balanced to my ears as the LCD-3's bass (or as textured either). But I found about 75 hours on them, they did change up some too.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #135 of 166
The bass weight on the LCD3 is not as much as the LCD2 simply due to the fact that the LCD2's treble is shelved and the diaphragm pushes less air and consequently the headphone has much less resolution. This really helps bass stay apparent obviously. Many people like that, but I don't. The improvements with the LCD3's lack of high frequency grain and added airiness correct the sound spectrum.

Some argue it's not a huge difference given the price; but I think the small corrections with the LCD3 create a definite but slight improvement technically wise, which in turn gives me much more appreciation for the corrected sound.

The Audez'e sound remains, but the improved LCD3, although not twice as good, is twice as enjoyable for me musically for its correctness. I loved the LCD3 when I owned them albeit it not having the type of sound signature I prefer with most music

- LCD2 is technically very good and fun sounding, and also heavily colored.
- LCD3 is one of the best technically, fun and a bit colored sounding but much more natural. For anyone who knows/plays various instruments and music, the LCD3 are a significant upgrade imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back