Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering
Sep 2, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2,011 of 4,830
That
I'm unfamiliar with technicalities of APTX/Bluetooth.

Would the audio files on the iDevice need to be AAC encoded to avoid using SBC ?
ie MP3/FLAC will end up using SBC.

Well there are AAC encoded MP3s and something would be wrong in my opinion if ALAC doesn't work since it's Apple Lossless, but I don't recall FLAC working on iDevices. Honestly, I don't know any of this technical stuff either, but I believe MP3 should work since there are AAC encoded MP3s (stuff bought on iTunes for example).

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,012 of 4,830
Bros, stop mixing up your codecs. AAC isn't MP3. AAC is MP4, which was developed as a successor to MP3.

FLAC works just fine on iDevices. You just need to download a music player capable of playing FLAC, and there are a lot of them.

What I need education on is how Apple's AAC over BT functionality works. If it just streams AAC to your BT receiver regardless of the source codec, then you're going to get transcoding for any MP3 files to AAC which is bad juju!

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,013 of 4,830
That
I'm unfamiliar with technicalities of APTX/Bluetooth.

Would the audio files on the iDevice need to be AAC encoded to avoid using SBC ?
ie MP3/FLAC will end up using SBC.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I'm not really an expert either:

Moreover, A2DP transmits audio data in small packets, it's not like an mp3 file of several MB can be transmitted as a whole. Chopping mp3 audio data into blocks and recreating a seamless audio stream from these blocks is not a trivial task, especially when the file in question is variable bitrate. I'd think that's one more reason why they first decode everything to PCM and encode / decode for A2DP on a per block basis.

So, in my understanding, all audio files will be re-encoded for BT transmission, regardless of their original format. In case of an iDevice transmitting to a CSR8645, that should mean everything gets re-encoded to AAC. Only for devices that support neither aptX nor AAC, the transmission would default to SBC.

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,016 of 4,830
Bros, stop mixing up your codecs. AAC isn't MP3. AAC is MP4, which was developed as a successor to MP3.

FLAC works just fine on iDevices. You just need to download a music player capable of playing FLAC, and there are a lot of them.

What I need education on is how Apple's AAC over BT functionality works. If it just streams AAC to your BT receiver regardless of the source codec, then you're going to get transcoding for any MP3 files to AAC which is bad juju!

Correct indeed, I think when I used to read about some audio codecs, I missed the ',' between AAC and MP3 lol
tongue.gif
. MP4 just causes confusion as far as I'm concerned since it's also a video container like .mkv and .avi, so having it named AAC makes sense.
And again, thanks for the correction, I meant FLAC didn't work on iDevices natively. All my stuff is MP3 or ALAC (which I convert to from FLAC cuz I do everything through iTunes which also doesn't support FLAC anyway), which is totally fine if I end up needing to use FLAC since it's a simple conversion (no quality loss due to being lossless codec to a different lossless codec).

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #2,019 of 4,830
Quick question: How do the three headphone's hozzle sizes compare to each other?

The Delta, Techne and Hyperion that is. 

I have the Delta and it fits just fine. I want to buy my GF a pair of Trinity's, but she has tinyyy ear holes and the Delta's do not insert all the way into her ear. So that won't work. I'm wondering if she will have better luck with Hyperions and perhaps even the Techne's?

If not, what else can you suggest for under $100? Thanks.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,020 of 4,830
  Quick question: How do the three headphone's hozzle sizes compare to each other?

The Delta, Techne and Hyperion that is. 

I have the Delta and it fits just fine. I want to buy my GF a pair of Trinity's, but she has tinyyy ear holes and the Delta's do not insert all the way into her ear. So that won't work. I'm wondering if she will have better luck with Hyperions and perhaps even the Techne's?

If not, what else can you suggest for under $100? Thanks.

I don't have the Hyperions so can't comment (I have the Delta and I find the nozzle side to be a tiny bit too big personally. Zero Audio Carbo Tenore sounds pretty amazing for the price (but not really that well built) and should fit just about any ear size. I can't think of anything else up to $100 that would compete to be honest.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #2,021 of 4,830

I don't have the Hyperions so can't comment (I have the Delta and I find the nozzle side to be a tiny bit too big personally. Zero Audio Carbo Tenore sounds pretty amazing for the price (but not really that well built) and should fit just about any ear size. I can't think of anything else up to $100 that would compete to be honest.

Thank you. So. I just made my gf test some headphones for size.

She said that the Klipsch S4 with the smallest double flange silicon tips are JUST small enough to fit her ears. Anything bigger and it would be too uncomfortable

blink.gif

She loves the sound of the Delta's even without the fit, but I want to get her something that is realy FOR her.

Klipsch SE215 are on the top of my list as of now, unless someone knows whether the Hyperions can fit the smallest Comply tips (that is my basis for how big these nozzles are)

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,022 of 4,830
  Thank you. So. I just made my gf test some headphones for size.

She said that the Klipsch S4 with the smallest double flange silicon tips are JUST small enough to fit her ears. Anything bigger and it would be too uncomfortable

blink.gif

She loves the sound of the Delta's even without the fit, but I want to get her something that is realy FOR her.

Klipsch SE215 are on the top of my list as of now, unless someone knows whether the Hyperions can fit the smallest Comply tips (that is my basis for how big these nozzles are)

Shure definitely has much thinner nozzles. Hyperion can fit a 400 size Comply I think, which is like the 2nd biggest lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back