Intona High Speed USB Isolator
Jan 29, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #46 of 323
I keep shaking my head when I read threads like this.

I mean, let's picture your average PC with the following...

-Audio USB card (Paul Pang, SOTM, JCAT, etc.) ... up to $460
-This feeds into an Intona ... up to $350
-This feeds into Regen ... $175
-Of course we need at least two AQ Jitterbugs ... $200 (one never seems to be enough in the threads I read)
-Now we need at least 3x 0.8m audiophile USB cables from Curious Cables ... up to $1020
-Finally, we need an LPS for each the USB card, Intona, and Regen ... $500 ea. ... so $1500

(Keep in mind we haven't even 'treated' the PC with fan/SATA line filters, audiophile-grade SATA cables, etc.)

Total price to clean up our USB chain: $3705 USD or $1500 USD more than the Yiggy DAC at the final end of the chain!

Of course you'd have the messiest setup imaginable and need to go buy a new AV cabinet to conceal it all.

YOU ALL ARE NUTS!!!

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #47 of 323
What about this external USB hub from SOTM? 
http://www.sotm.sonore.us/SOtM3.html#1

This is a bit expensive and does not deal with ground loop or ground contamination. I wil retry the intona without a wyrd. If is as good on its own or close to it, i would recommend it as a better bargain. You might be able to buy get a used Paul Pang for much less money. Haven't tried any of these usb cards by the ways. The intona is still improving as well.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #48 of 323

-Of course we need at least two AQ Jitterbugs ... $200 (one never seems to be enough in the threads I read)
-Now we need at least 3x 0.8m audiophile USB cables from Curious Cables ... up to $1020
-Finally, we need an LPS for each the USB card, Intona, and Regen ... $500 ea. ... so $1500

(Keep in mind we haven't even 'treated' the PC with fan/SATA line filters, audiophile-grade SATA cables, etc.)

Total price to clean up our USB chain: $3705 USD or $1500 USD more than the Yiggy DAC at the final end of the chain!

Of course you'd have the messiest setup imaginable and need to go buy a new AV cabinet to conceal it all.

YOU ALL ARE NUTS!!!

You may not need all this. In some cases, you probably get 95% of the benefits with just one component or two. All of the above together might not sound so good. At some point, someone will come up with an effective and complete solution within the ddc, or maybe just one addtional box.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #49 of 323
Hello,
I'm going to join the group of those who praise the Intona. I'm using it with a ifi micro idsd and it has been a huge improvement.  The SQ has improved significantly, especially in terms of more clarity and separation, and better bass.

I was wondering whether someone has tried to feed the intona with a y usb cable that separates power from data, and in case what has been the result.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #50 of 323

YOU ALL ARE NUTS!!!

LMAO!!! 
beyersmile.png

Yes - don't know if been officially made part of the DSM - but it's called Audionervosa.  Bet they have a pill for that!

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #51 of 323
I have tried to use the intona on its own, i.e. without the schiit wyrd to feed it with ultra-low noise dc (2.5uV). It is not a night and day difference but the wyrd will stay until i have a linear psu that is as good plus a dual-headed usb cable. The Forza usb cable looks like a great deal, would cost me more to build one.

Bottom line, the bass has more impact and the attacks are stronger with the wyrd in. I guess any excellent 5v linear supply would do the trick.

To sum up my impressions after 48 hours: the intona is a sgnificant improvment. I think it's great. Just listened to Harry Connick "Chanson du vieux carre". It's a very dynamic recording, very hard to reproduce. Well, it was like hearing it for the first time. It was dynamic, resoluted and smooth at the same time, and the bass was very well defined and very tight.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #53 of 323
Guys, any experience with Raspberry Pi2 (running Moode or other Linux distro)? Does Intona work?

My current setup is: Raspberry > Wyrd > Chord Hugo.

After the wyrd, it should be very effective if i rely on my own experience. Depending on how good the rest of your setup is. But if you an improvment with the wyrd, the intona should add another improvment on top of the first one, i say "should" because you never know until you try. If you do so, let it burn for 72 hours before judging. The bass has never been so visceral with my system. And the soundstage has now very precise layering. Based on my experience, there are very few sub 300$ investments that can bring so much of an upgrade.

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #56 of 323
I ordered a standard version of the Intona isolator earlier today. From the Intona FAQ, unit of orders placed after 8th Jan would have latest firmware working better with XMOS receivers. (http://intona.eu/en/answer/1235)

I did not ordered the non-blinking LED, believing a blinking LED would draw less current and any 14Hz noise, if it ever exists, won't be audible.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #57 of 323
I ordered a standard version of the Intona isolator earlier today. From the Intona FAQ, unit of orders placed after 8th Jan would have latest firmware working better with XMOS receivers. (http://intona.eu/en/answer/1235)

I did not ordered the non-blinking LED, believing a blinking LED would draw less current and any 14Hz noise, if it ever exists, won't be audible.

Have no problem with my xmos-based breeze audio. Very happy with this product.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #58 of 323
I just received the Intona standard version isolator. It took just two and a half days for it to arrive Hong Kong from Germany. For handling shipping alone, Intona beats both Uptone, Schitt.

Early impression with my SMSL M8 DAC (with XMOS chip) is good. Installation is just plug and play. I feel there is slight increase in sound stage and focus with my Grado SR325e.

I shall take the Intona home tonight to try it with my audio-gd Reference5.32 mod with Amanero USB interface.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #59 of 323

YOU ALL ARE NUTS!!!

+100 couldn't agree more. Especially since I tried many of those tricks (usb cables, hubs, battery power, DDCs) and rarely heard any diffs .. only from some ddcs.
I guess those things will make a diff if you have ground loops, dirty power, very noisy pcs, badly isolated DACs etc.. but those are all issues that must be corrected somewhere else .. and for much less money.
Anyway, still curious about the intona, guess my audionervosa is still not cured

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #60 of 323
The Intona isolator brings similar improvement to my home audio-gd Reference 5.32 with Amanero USB interface setup: Increased tone/texture separation and deeper sound stage. What appeared to be a single tone before is now multiple tones separated, though It makes some recording sounding less warm.

It also helps preserving the same high quality playback even my notebook is busy doing multitasking. I think the Intona is well worth the price if the computer using for playback is not a dedicated music server.

BTW, I am using cheap two Foxconn OEM USB printer cables (1.8m and 0.6m), with ferrite beads on both ends, connecting the Intona to my notebook and to the Reference 5.32. The two USB cables cost me less than CNY30 (US$4) from taobao.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back