iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 27, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #2,536 of 9,047
  Mine sounds exactly the same as the first time I used it about 2-300 hours of use ago.

Mine too.  After first power-up and finding the right filter settings mine sounded great -- and still does.

I have not found one scrap of empirical evidence that solid-state devices improve with burn-in.  Devices with moving parts like speakers, headphones, and maybe even phono cartridges will benefit from a break-in period and, no question, vacuum tubes age and burn out.  But a properly functioning solid-state device like the Micro iDSD, I'm less convinced.

Sure you read about burning in your electronic devices and sometimes even interconnects and cables in magazine reviews, but really?  Or your audiophile retailer may suggest this but I have always thought this is just an effort to put time on the clock so you become more used to the sound.

I have never seen one single ABX test where 60% or greater of the test participants were able to guess a burned in device over one that is not.  Rather, I have seen a few reports where no discernible difference could be heard.

As one reviewer put it, the more you burn in a device, the more you are prematurely wearing it out.  And wasting electricity in the process.  :wink:

So, with this in mind I would suggest that if you don't like the sound of a device after the first couple of hours of listening, return it immediately!  

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2,537 of 9,047
  From
  1. thinblueline
"read in the thread that iUSB would provide minimal improvement.  I would appreciate any opinion of those with both iDSD Micro and iUSB.  Would you make the iUSB purchase again given the opportunity? "

I bought the iusb power and the gemini cable for the nano idsd, and it really helped SQ much there. For the micro its benefit is less, but it still helps lower the noise floor and improve imaging a bit. Of course the micro is in a different league from the nano. The key is to invest in 2 cables: the gemini and another decent quality usb cable. This gets expensive, as much as the micro or a little more.

If you want the best performance and can afford it, I think it's worth it. I use it strictly as a dac in direct mode and I believe it performs in the setup like a $1500- $2000 device. Truly outstanding SQ. Also the power management in a desktop setup with the iusb is perfect. I never have to touch my idsd

So it depends on your budget, type of usage and sound quality expectations.

Thank you for your sound input.  All the chatter about ifi Pro models had me second guessing on whether I should purchase the iDSD Micro, iUSB, and Gemini together, or just the Micro alone and wait for the Pro models to become available.  In the end, I decided to do what anyone would do in my position and that is to do what is WORST for my wallet!  I purchased the iUSB and Gemini to complete my setup.  I will either be looking at the Pro models later on or purchase the Auralic Taurus MK II to go with the iDSD Micro as the DAC. 

Thanks for your help again!  Happy listening. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,538 of 9,047
Folks,

Forgive me for my ignorance. I have some very basic questions. What is the difference between Direct and Preamp? If I chose Preamp, does the headphone output by-passes the inbuilt amplifier? I am able to control the volume through the volume control in both the modes so was confused what exactly the difference. If I want to use the micro as a pure DAC what do I need to do then?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #2,539 of 9,047
  Folks,

Forgive me for my ignorance. I have some very basic questions. What is the difference between Direct and Preamp? If I chose Preamp, does the headphone output by-passes the inbuilt amplifier? I am able to control the volume through the volume control in both the modes so was confused what exactly the difference. If I want to use the micro as a pure DAC what do I need to do then?

Thanks

The Direct/Preamp switch only affects the RCA line out. It does not have any effect on the headphone amp functionality.
Check the manual, it's helpful  http://www.wodaudio.de/Downloads/Micro-iDSD-Manual.pdf

For thinblueline:
Yes, it is a big decision in how much to invest in your infrastructure to support the micro's excellent sound quality. I decided to make a commitment and invest........at least for a few years. By then there will be a bloat of high quality, DSD DACs on the market. I'll be happy with my micro 'til then. A friend stopped by who has the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC and said my setup sounded as good as his. I've paid attention to a lot of details.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #2,540 of 9,047

The Direct/Preamp switch only affects the RCA line out. It does not have any effect on the headphone amp functionality.
Check the manual, it's helpful  http://www.wodaudio.de/Downloads/Micro-iDSD-Manual.pdf

For thinblueline:
Yes, it is a big decision in how much to invest in your infrastructure to support the micro's excellent sound quality. I decided to make a commitment and invest........at least for a few years. By then there will be a bloat of high quality, DSD DACs on the market. I'll be happy with my micro 'til then. A friend stopped by who has the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC and said my setup sounded as good as his. I've paid attention to a lot of details.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I just checked the manual again as you suggested and it basically answers all my questions :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #2,541 of 9,047
  Guys, just thought I'd put this out there after roughly 8 months with each of the following - 

- iDSD nano
- Chord Hugo
- Sony ZX1 + PHA-2
- Furutech ADL X1 w/iPod Classic (last of the 2010 models, purchased new in 2014)

I believe micro idsd is huge step-up from nano idsd. They are different. 

As a portable user who always use Apple products as source, I found micro idsd THE right thing for me. The USB male connector is just... terrific!!!
I sincerely hope that iFi will keep the USB male connector on the next generation of micro idsd. 

My only disagreement would be get micro. Nano is great but Micro superb. Regarding the Sony and battery life,absolutely. Makes the ZX1 worthless when used for digital output only. Cannot understand what it is processing to drain so much power. I get 3 hours with Sony and 10 hours plus with my Cowon P1.
My Hugo is my back up now cos it won't recharge with 5v usb but needs separate charger.

Agreed with @Edric Li and @cheznous here. I'll sell nano, Hugo, ZX1 and PHA-2 and Furutech ADL X1., maybe keeping just the iPod if big storage and iTune are important to you. Instead I'll replace them with either an Sony A15 or A17 plus a Sony WMC-NWH10 (for USB OTG) and a iDSD micro. The Sony A10 series will be more than enough to replace ZX1 as a digital transport, and iDSD micro can replace nano, Hugo and PHA-1 all at the same time. More over, I don't find micro to be any lesser than Hugo as well. With CCK, it will work with iPad too. This way, you should be able to save enough for the Schiit DAC while still keeping an excellent portable + transportable setup all together.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #2,542 of 9,047
ClieOS, as I said I'm off to spend 3 nights on an island - think ~25deg C and all the time I need to really sit down with each of these options and make a decision. My partner in crime has zero interest in audio beyond a few pop tunes and traditional Thai music, but she's a beach person and I'm not : perfect  :D

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #2,543 of 9,047
  Mine too.  After first power-up and finding the right filter settings mine sounded great -- and still does.

I have not found one scrap of empirical evidence that solid-state devices improve with burn-in.  Devices with moving parts like speakers, headphones, and maybe even phono cartridges will benefit from a break-in period and, no question, vacuum tubes age and burn out.  But a properly functioning solid-state device like the Micro iDSD, I'm less convinced.

Sure you read about burning in your electronic devices and sometimes even interconnects and cables in magazine reviews, but really?  Or your audiophile retailer may suggest this but I have always thought this is just an effort to put time on the clock so you become more used to the sound.

I have never seen one single ABX test where 60% or greater of the test participants were able to guess a burned in device over one that is not.  Rather, I have seen a few reports where no discernible difference could be heard.

As one reviewer put it, the more you burn in a device, the more you are prematurely wearing it out.  And wasting electricity in the process.  :wink:

So, with this in mind I would suggest that if you don't like the sound of a device after the first couple of hours of listening, return it immediately!  

Hi,

Purely for one's personal edification............

Not that we want to open that can of wriggely worms that is called ABX testing, however statistcally speaking small scale tests have very low statistical power (meaning their results have a very low confidence of being able to be generalised). Many of the current group of blind testing advocates implement tests in a manner and fashion no concentious academic researcher would. This means we would take such test results with a fair pinch of salt.

Past that, noted Audio Objectivist Douglas Self has published a number of research results in which he had to admit that "audiophile" capacitors have generally lower distortion than generic equaivalents of the same value and rating(1) and that certain types of capacitors show marked changes of distortion between "brand new" and "run for a few 100 hours"(2). In many fields of electronics outside of audio chenges in operating parameters of electronics over the first few 100 hors are taken for granted and much test equipment is "burned in"  before calibration (read: precision electronics for testing/measurements in the fields of Aerospace, Medical Electronics, Electronic Test Gear etc.)

Now these points should not be taken as absolute proof that "burn in" is real, however there is enough here to not categorically reject that small and audible changes may happen.

Audio is subjective - so even with or without burn-in, one may still like or may not like a product.

As we always say, try it in your setting with your music and your ears.

Cheers.

For further information/reading
1) Douglas Self - Amplifier Distortion Article Series in Wireless World
2) Douglas Self - Self-improvement for capacitors, Linear Audio Volume 1 - http://www.linearaudio.net/article-detail/2091

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 29, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #2,547 of 9,047
Being a user for months, I just want to say some good words on the product . 

Micro idsd is probably of the same size to PHA3, HIFI M8, Hugo, etc. but I've found idsd the only device that is really "portable": it is tall but slim. It is the only one that can be putted in my jacket pocket. 

Well done. I see "sony", "apple" in the design of iFi's product. 

There's one thing I have concern on. Since I always put my idsd vertically in my pocket and the side of headphone plug to the top, the side with the cable will have to sit in my pocket. It is not good to put the device on a fragile piece of cable, and it might hurt the USB male connector inside the device. 

I couldn't find any solution to it. Can I get a hard case somewhere?

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #2,548 of 9,047
  Being a user for months, I just want to say some good words on the product . 

Micro idsd is probably of the same size to PHA3, HIFI M8, Hugo, etc. but I've found idsd the only device that is really "portable": it is tall but slim. It is the only one that can be putted in my jacket pocket. 

Well done. I see "sony", "apple" in the design of iFi's product. 

There's one thing I have concern on. Since I always put my idsd vertically in my pocket and the side of headphone plug to the top, the side with the cable will have to sit in my pocket. It is not good to put the device on a fragile piece of cable, and it might hurt the USB male connector inside the device. 

I couldn't find any solution to it. Can I get a hard case somewhere?

Hi,

The USB A Plug cnnector we use is fairly sturdy, but (as with anything in life) excessive pressure may be a problem.

The easiest way would be to take some foam and cut a mask/block so that sits against the metal and clear any connector.

This would take then up any strain.

This is one suggestion - others may chime in with their expereinces.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 30, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #2,549 of 9,047
Sometimes when I try playing my higher quality 24 bit files of 96khz and 192khz I get a message from Jriver that it is unable to play in the AMR IFI USB WASAPI METHOD. I then go to options and change back to direct sound, play the song, then switch back to WASAPI. Any idea what's wrong? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,550 of 9,047
Sometimes when I try playing my higher quality 24 bit files of 96khz and 192khz I get a message from Jriver that it is unable to play in the AMR IFI USB WASAPI METHOD. I then go to options and change back to direct sound, play the song, then switch back to WASAPI. Any idea what's wrong? Thanks

Why are you using WASAPI? Doesn't J River support ASIO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back