iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 26, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #2,506 of 9,047
  can someone please tell me what setting should be changed in jriver, are there any specific ones that must be changed in river

See this PDF from iFi on how to set this up:

http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/DoPInstructions_JRMC18+19.pdf

I find that Jriver MC20 is the same as MC19.

Now, as far as the AMR/iFi driver, I have mine set to minimum latency, which is I understand is preferable if your computer can handle it, with a sample rate of 8192 - again, if your machine can handle it. I get no pop, clicks, or any sort of jitter. Otherwise, use the "Safe" setting...or whatever your computer handles best.

Someone who is more familiar can confirm is "Minimum Latency" would be the best, in theory, but I believe that to be true.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2,507 of 9,047
If the Ifi micro idsd had been around last year I wouldn't have bought the Hugo. It is not a question of the Hugo being 20 % better for like 300 % more. I could go for that. No, I think the idsd is as good as. And I really like the Hugo.
Easier to charge too and better battery life.

Very Interesting. How many hours have you burned your iDSD micro in for?

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #2,512 of 9,047
Funny how even after contacting the north american reseller, avatar acoustics, they still can't tell me how to buy one in Canada or sell me an iFi Micro iDSD lol...

All I was told was that they have a Canadian warehouse that sometimes stocks iFi products, but currently has no Micro iDSD and won't for weeks.

MusicDirect with current dollar and custom and duties and shipping and tax would put me close to $850 for this product.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,513 of 9,047
Funny how even after contacting the north american reseller, avatar acoustics, they still can't tell me how to buy one in Canada or sell me an iFi Micro iDSD lol...

All I was told was that they have a Canadian warehouse that sometimes stocks iFi products, but currently has no Micro iDSD and won't for weeks.

MusicDirect with current dollar and custom and duties and shipping and tax would put me close to $850 for this product.

I have never had to deal with Canada markups... why couldn't you have some one buy one for you in the States and then send it to you as a gift...  would that be cheaper??

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #2,514 of 9,047

I have never had to deal with Canada markups... why couldn't you have some one buy one for you in the States and then send it to you as a gift...  would that be cheaper??

Screw it! I'll do it if he pays all postage. No sweat. I make enough stops to UPS/Fed Ex/USPS anyway, so why not. Ha! I'm actually serious.  would hate to see someone pay close to double.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #2,515 of 9,047

See this PDF from iFi on how to set this up:

http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/DoPInstructions_JRMC18+19.pdf

I find that Jriver MC20 is the same as MC19.

Now, as far as the AMR/iFi driver, I have mine set to minimum latency, which is I understand is preferable if your computer can handle it, with a sample rate of 8192 - again, if your machine can handle it. I get no pop, clicks, or any sort of jitter. Otherwise, use the "Safe" setting...or whatever your computer handles best.

Someone who is more familiar can confirm is "Minimum Latency" would be the best, in theory, but I believe that to be true.

The ifi idsd micro settings are the same in MC20 as MC19...   from what I remember is that MC20 sercumvents ( ?) the windows driver...  once setup correctly MC20 will then allow you to use all of the DSP options for other windows audio... like movies, youtube... ect...ect...   works pretty good...

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #2,517 of 9,047

100 hours is the first target/majority burned-in

Very interesting. I believe Technobear gave me the advise early to let it burn-in for 200 hours, at least. But now I'm thinking closer to 300 hours, with very minimal listening. I've only actually listened to about 40 minutes of my iDSD's current burn-in time (which is at about 96 hours at the moment), but what I hear so far is great clarity and micro detail though my HD800s, but also an extreme lifelessness. I couldn't put my finger on what I was experiencing, until I read this article:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0914/ifi_audio_micro_idsd_dac_headphone_amplifier.htm

Right of the box the unit sounds quite good, yet you really need at least 200 hours for things to settle in nicely. After another 100 hours of use, the ifi Audio Micro iDSD is ready to deliver everything she was designed for at top-notch sound quality. This is why no one should ever try to reviewer a product after only a week or two of use, as the component itself has not reached its full potential! Of course wise readers and longstanding audiophiles know it takes time for a product to achieve its best sound potential.

After about 100 hours there was still some slight dynamic compression. After 200 hours of use the compression was reduced to a good degree, yet at the 300 hour mark there was an extremely small bit of dynamic compression as compared to the very best I have heard at any price (read: cost-no-object $25,000 setups). For a unit that does so many wonderful things for a mere $499, this is an outstanding achievement!

The lower mids are a slight touch warm sounding, yet are minor and if anything add a very inviting sound. Almost a teeny tiny touch tube-like... almost. For those of you who are curious, during break-in the uppermost frequencies were a touch on the shallow side yet opened up quite nicely. What I mean by that is, it seemed that while the instrument's sound was there, it was lacking a bit of weight and solidity. Most reviewers use 'heft and weight' for lower registers, yet it is a factor at all frequencies if one pays close enough attention and one's high fidelity audio gear is capable of seamlessly and transparently delivering all frequencies in perfect time and phase. This reminds me, for filtering I chose the Minimum Phase setting as it sounded best to my ears within my systems.

Bingo! That was it! Compression! Even my most fluid audiophile recordings, from 16/44.1 to 2x DSD has this sameness: a veneer that just sort of sits there, whether there's a lot going on in the mix or minimal instruments.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to give it much of a listen during burn-in, because I don't want my mind to be tricked into what I'm hearing during the journey. I just want to arrive after about 300 and see if I've reached my destination.

Does this 100/200/300 hour bit ring true or false to those experienced with this product?

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,518 of 9,047

I just ordered mine from Avatar on Amazon.  I tried contacting a Canadian reseller who listed ifi on their website.  I heard nothing back.  After weeks and weeks of going back and forth on my decision, I decided to purchase it on Amazon and have it sent to an US mailbox so I can bring it across myself.  I would still have to pay the taxes, but I won't have to risk getting dinged for brokerage fees if shipped by anyone other than USPS.  I considered waiting a while longer, but I didn't want to see the Loonie slider further downward and driving up the cost even more.  Now I just have to decide whether I want to get an iUSB and Gemini to go with the iDSD Micro.  

I read in the thread that iUSB would provide minimal improvement.  I would appreciate any opinion of those with both iDSD Micro and iUSB.  Would you make the iUSB purchase again given the opportunity?  

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2,519 of 9,047
From
  1. thinblueline
"read in the thread that iUSB would provide minimal improvement.  I would appreciate any opinion of those with both iDSD Micro and iUSB.  Would you make the iUSB purchase again given the opportunity? "

I bought the iusb power and the gemini cable for the nano idsd, and it really helped SQ much there. For the micro its benefit is less, but it still helps lower the noise floor and improve imaging a bit. Of course the micro is in a different league from the nano. The key is to invest in 2 cables: the gemini and another decent quality usb cable. This gets expensive, as much as the micro or a little more.

If you want the best performance and can afford it, I think it's worth it. I use it strictly as a dac in direct mode and I believe it performs in the setup like a $1500- $2000 device. Truly outstanding SQ. Also the power management in a desktop setup with the iusb is perfect. I never have to touch my idsd

So it depends on your budget, type of usage and sound quality expectations.

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #2,520 of 9,047
Guys, just thought I'd put this out there after roughly 8 months with each of the following - 

- iDSD nano
- Chord Hugo
- Sony ZX1 + PHA-2
- Furutech ADL X1 w/iPod Classic (last of the 2010 models, purchased new in 2014)

I have a selection of desktop gear too, but in terms of the gear that I can throw in a satchel and take wherever I want, that's it. I also use the nano as a USB-SPDIF converter into my desktop DACs, but it mainly sees laptop duty when I cant be bothered hooking up to the Marantz or Oppo DACs. 

All of the above sound good to my ears - I particularly like the Sony combo but their bizarre charging requirements and poor battery life rule them out as (trans)portable choices IMO. Hook the ZX1 to the PHA-2 and you'll be stunned by how quickly that battery icon starts to fade into the danger zone. The X1 is very good as both USB DAC and partnered with the Classic - much better battery life if a slightly less powerful combo with fullsize cans, and by now most of you will know what the Hugo can and can't do - I've used it with my iPad via the CCK and I even enjoy the Bluetooth functionality from time to time. 

The point of all this ? When I sat down and asked myself what I should sell and what I want to keep to fund the purchase of the new Schiit DAC - which I estimate to be in the region of 4K USD landed here in Thailand - I quickly realised that the nano is the one portable DAC/amp I'm not willing to part with despite that fact that it doesnt pair easily with any of my sources other than my laptop.  Whatever the sonic pluses of the other gear, in sheer BFYB terms the iFi is an absolute marvel. I've got 3 nights on an island in the Gulf of Thailand starting tomorrow to make my final decision, but at this stage I fear that everything will go except the smallest and cheapest of the lot : if only everything in this crazy hobby was such sensational value for money. Take a bow, iFi - you nailed the nano. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back