iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 23, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #2,476 of 9,047
Also worth noting that one of Hugo's sale point is its extra long 26k tap length. It would indeed be a 'hyper standard' filter, so to speak.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #2,477 of 9,047
That's very interesting. I wonder how the iDSD micro differentiates between the timbres and ranges of vocals - soparanos, altos, basses, tenors - along with the corresponding frequencies they share with musical instruments and separates them in a preexisting recorded mix as you just described.

Perhaps it's that the iDSD micro renders vocals - along with the rest of the instruments - more naturally in relation to their postitions intrinsic in the original mix? Of course a lot depends on cans, speakers, amps, etc., and how they integrate with any DAC to render the final product to your ear holes.

Hi EVOLVIST,

If you are interested enough to pass along some song ideas and what to look for I will run share my impressions.  I have nowhere near the eloquence or the vocabulary of our favorite reviewers but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Yes, still in queue 
wink_face.gif

I have to finish ATH-W1000Z review, then Creative Sound Blaster X7, then DUNU Titan 1, then AT-HA22TUBE... so expect around February mid to end 
wink_face.gif

Thanks for the impression!  
Did you try both Hugo and iDSD line out connected to a headphone amp?  iDSD line output is excellent, worth to test it with good headphone amp such as micro iCan.  Layering is much better from the line out.

I have tried the iDSD line out connected to a Portaphile Micro a while back.  I could not perceive a difference enough to know which amplifier I was listening to.  The Portaphile may have been ever so slightly ahead - which I don't have words to explain why - but not worth the price of holding onto when the iDSD does it all by itself.  The only headphones I currently have are my Alclair RSMs.  A bigger difference came when I auditioned the Forza Audio Works Copper Series cable.  The change in sound, for 99 Euros, is totally worth it to my ears and wallet.  I just need to get the cable back now as a friend is borrowing it.

I have used the iDSD on my home rig and I absolutely love it there.  I have also toyed with the iTube which takes things up multiple notches.  When iFi releases the Pro line I think we are in for a real treat.  I see them getting a lot of love on the home audio/Hi-Fi forums if that gear can replicate what the Micro line does.

Very nice comparison & review.  Thanks for sharing your impressions with us.  I suppose there is no clear one is better than the other, but more of a which type of sound you prefer kind of thing, then?

Is there one preference over the other for long-term several hours listening without your ears "getting tired"?

Thank you.  I think you are right.  There is never a clear winner because one person might prefer one sound signature over another.  The Hugo is relaxed to my ears; like it's trying very hard to never a make mistake.  And I have not heard one mistake yet.  The iDSD knows it's a star and is willing to take the last second shot.  It may miss, but in the big game it steps up like Jordan.  That's why I love this thing.  

I am no longer a single guy with money burning a hole in my pocket so the iDSD is where my money will stay.  I can't comfortably spend the money on the Hugo if it's not willing to bring the singer to me or allow the guys on the G3 Live CD to slam me in the face with their guitars.  I can listen to the Hugo all day today and thru tomorrow, that's for sure.  It's meant for that with its soft presentation.  I need more guts and grunge in my music and that's what I hear with the iDSD.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #2,478 of 9,047

Hi,

This does make a fair bit of sense.

Someone had their 3 shredded wheat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWLBuAW1lEE

Haha, I love cereal.  Thank you for the DSP lesson!  It's always fun learning how our gear works!!

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #2,479 of 9,047
Hi,

Please check the USB connection at the laptop side. The cable may make poor contact, you can play music and wriggle the cable to see if it causes the problem as the music will "dropout".

Can also check at the micro iDSD end too.

Failing this, open a support ticket if you are stuck. Though there wont be staff at work over the weekend! (we think :bigsmile_face: ).

Thanks for your suggestions. I've got a weekend of work to look forward to, but I'll be in my home office. I'll try to see if manipulating the usb cable at both ends has any effect on the occurrence of dropouts. The connections seem pretty tight to me. I'll also try the USB port on the opposite side of the rMBP to see if that is any better. I will report back here and open a support ticket if necessary.
Happy weekend to all!
Rich

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #2,481 of 9,047
WOW

I've been impressed w/ iFi since I bought my iCAN, iUSB PowerPlant, and iPhono! But...

When I got to hear the Micro iDSD w/ Alex (Rosson) at Canjam - and he kept holding it up to the screen during our chat on EnjoyTheMusic.TV
(that was hilarious - and GREAT for iFi) I was really blown away, in a way that doesn't happen often:

I was blown away by the Micros sound w/ my LCD-XCs - first and foremost - but, also, the options/feature-set!

Since I got mine (and full column coming about this component at PFO BTW) I've used it as a straight-up USB DAC, Amp/DAC, 
and I LOVE using it w/ my iPad via my CCK...

But - I discovered yet another level:

Micro iDSD - Audeze LCD-X via ALL Nordost Heimdall 2 cable loom (USB to headphone cable)
TIDAL & Amarra sQ + Amarra Symphony as sources...

BANG

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2,482 of 9,047
But - I discovered yet another level:

Micro iDSD - Audeze LCD-X via ALL Nordost Heimdall 2 cable loom (USB to headphone cable)
TIDAL & Amarra sQ + Amarra Symphony as sources...

BANG

Nice, but try adding the iCAN to that :cool:

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #2,483 of 9,047
guys a quick question i bought hp stream 7, which is a windows 8.1 tablet, my question in order to not draw power from the tablet when connected to idsd, shall i apply the same rule that applies when i connect the idsd to an iOS, b first turning on the idsd first then connecting it to the tablet?

I am using it with jriver, and boy what a difference in sound quality than when using idsd with an ipod touch, i think i am now set with sound quality my setup is the folowing

hp stream 7---- idsd----balanaced to alo mk3 ---- balanced audeze lcd2 rev2

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #2,484 of 9,047
guys a quick question i bought hp stream 7, which is a windows 8.1 tablet, my question in order to not draw power from the tablet when connected to idsd, shall i apply the same rule that applies when i connect the idsd to an iOS, b first turning on the idsd first then connecting it to the tablet?

I am using it with jriver, and boy what a difference in sound quality than when using idsd with an ipod touch, i think i am now set with sound quality my setup is the folowing

hp stream 7---- idsd----balanaced to alo mk3 ---- balanced audeze lcd2 rev2

Yes. First turn it on and then connect. It's the same difference.

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,486 of 9,047
i think everyone here should try my setup what a magical dream am i now in with my new setup

for anyone who does not mind a transportable this is a ultimate setupp

hp stream 7---- idsd-----balanced alo mk3---- balanced audeze lcd2 rev2   using jriver

i never thought that using a tablet as a transport would make this huge huge huge difference, i think no dap or other transport can be as a good as a windows tablet

the beauty of jriver is the endless settings u can do with it

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #2,487 of 9,047
I'd have to say that Ive discovered how good bit-perfect is with PCM. Amazing sound. There's more details, both in the LF and HF. My long-time favorite Minimum Phase now plays reserve to Bit-Perfect digital filter.

I understand how Hugo could feel threatened and resort to crab-bing...:D Hugo for $2000 more versus the micro iDSD's $500?? Jeezuz...

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,489 of 9,047
Quickly-

comparing the DAC sections alone (since Concero HD is a DAC only), I barely prefer the iFi iDSD micro.
it's just as good with detail retrieval, dynamics and precision as Concero HD.
but iDSD micro is a dual-mono DAC that also delivers slightly better musicality and overall presentation that is maybe just a bit more natural sounding.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,490 of 9,047
No, it is not wrong. It is your choice. If you can't hear the difference (which is very small anyhow) then it does not matter.

Just to clarify, are you saying that you hear little difference in the sonic quality of the iDSD micro in preamp mode, feeding an external amp, or simply very little difference without having the Xbass and 3D capabilities because someone is going preamp out?

Really, if the iDSD micro is designed right, I couldn't imagine the preamp out have very much of an effect at all, only that it's now giving a gain boost. What is that, even in turbo mode you get a max boost going out of RCAs of 5v, compared to direct at 2v. I don't know a whole helluva lot about circuitry and electricity, but what is that, a little less than a 6db gain boost?

A lot would depend on how clean the internal preamp path is.

I just got my iDSD micro on Wednesday, so it's still burning in, but this will be interesting to check, along with the preamp functions of the iTube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back