iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #2,521 of 9,047
  Guys, just thought I'd put this out there after roughly 8 months with each of the following - 

- iDSD nano
- Chord Hugo
- Sony ZX1 + PHA-2
- Furutech ADL X1 w/iPod Classic (last of the 2010 models, purchased new in 2014)

I have a selection of desktop gear too, but in terms of the gear that I can throw in a satchel and take wherever I want, that's it. I also use the nano as a USB-SPDIF converter into my desktop DACs, but it mainly sees laptop duty when I cant be bothered hooking up to the Marantz or Oppo DACs. 

All of the above sound good to my ears - I particularly like the Sony combo but their bizarre charging requirements and poor battery life rule them out as (trans)portable choices IMO. Hook the ZX1 to the PHA-2 and you'll be stunned by how quickly that battery icon starts to fade into the danger zone. The X1 is very good as both USB DAC and partnered with the Classic - much better battery life if a slightly less powerful combo with fullsize cans, and by now most of you will know what the Hugo can and can't do - I've used it with my iPad via the CCK and I even enjoy the Bluetooth functionality from time to time. 

The point of all this ? When I sat down and asked myself what I should sell and what I want to keep to fund the purchase of the new Schiit DAC - which I estimate to be in the region of 4K USD landed here in Thailand - I quickly realised that the nano is the one portable DAC/amp I'm not willing to part with despite that fact that it doesnt pair easily with any of my sources other than my laptop.  Whatever the sonic pluses of the other gear, in sheer BFYB terms the iFi is an absolute marvel. I've got 3 nights on an island in the Gulf of Thailand starting tomorrow to make my final decision, but at this stage I fear that everything will go except the smallest and cheapest of the lot : if only everything in this crazy hobby was such sensational value for money. Take a bow, iFi - you nailed the nano. 

I believe micro idsd is huge step-up from nano idsd. They are different. 

As a portable user who always use Apple products as source, I found micro idsd THE right thing for me. The USB male connector is just... terrific!!!
I sincerely hope that iFi will keep the USB male connector on the next generation of micro idsd. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,522 of 9,047

Very interesting. I believe Technobear gave me the advise early to let it burn-in for 200 hours, at least. But now I'm thinking closer to 300 hours, with very minimal listening. I've only actually listened to about 40 minutes of my iDSD's current burn-in time (which is at about 96 hours at the moment), but what I hear so far is great clarity and micro detail though my HD800s, but also an extreme lifelessness. I couldn't put my finger on what I was experiencing, until I read this article:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0914/ifi_audio_micro_idsd_dac_headphone_amplifier.htm

Bingo! That was it! Compression! Even my most fluid audiophile recordings, from 16/44.1 to 2x DSD has this sameness: a veneer that just sort of sits there, whether there's a lot going on in the mix or minimal instruments.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to give it much of a listen during burn-in, because I don't want my mind to be tricked into what I'm hearing during the journey. I just want to arrive after about 300 and see if I've reached my destination.

Does this 100/200/300 hour bit ring true or false to those experienced with this product?

For me, the sound was constantly changing in the first 100 hours, hollow to muddy to bright to muddy, etc. Past this, the sound still improved, as you said, with compression but the overall signature wasn't as erratic as before the 100 hour mark. Hence, I say 100 hours is majority of the burn in as you can more or less decide if the signature is for you while iFi recommends a full 400 hours for a complete burn in where there would be increases in technicalities.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #2,523 of 9,047

Very interesting. I believe Technobear gave me the advise early to let it burn-in for 200 hours, at least. But now I'm thinking closer to 300 hours, with very minimal listening. I've only actually listened to about 40 minutes of my iDSD's current burn-in time (which is at about 96 hours at the moment), but what I hear so far is great clarity and micro detail though my HD800s, but also an extreme lifelessness. I couldn't put my finger on what I was experiencing, until I read this article:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0914/ifi_audio_micro_idsd_dac_headphone_amplifier.htm

Bingo! That was it! Compression! Even my most fluid audiophile recordings, from 16/44.1 to 2x DSD has this sameness: a veneer that just sort of sits there, whether there's a lot going on in the mix or minimal instruments.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to give it much of a listen during burn-in, because I don't want my mind to be tricked into what I'm hearing during the journey. I just want to arrive after about 300 and see if I've reached my destination.

Does this 100/200/300 hour bit ring true or false to those experienced with this product?

Mine sounds exactly the same as the first time I used it about 2-300 hours of use ago.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #2,525 of 9,047
Bristol Sound & Vision Show

iFi will be exhibiting in the main hall at the upcoming Sound & Vision Show.

Date: 20-22th February 2015

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/

There you will be able audition the nano, micro and upcoming Retro range.

We look forward to seeing you there. For iCLUB members, there may even be a surprise!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 27, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #2,526 of 9,047
They just get more muscular sounding to me (the DAC). Not sure if its the tube or the DAC gettig the burn in thought.

Tube ? Are you sure that the iDSD micro uses tubes ? Or do you talk about iTube oder nano ?

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #2,527 of 9,047
For me, the sound was constantly changing in the first 100 hours, hollow to muddy to bright to muddy, etc. Past this, the sound still improved, as you said, with compression but the overall signature wasn't as erratic as before the 100 hour mark. Hence, I say 100 hours is majority of the burn in as you can more or less decide if the signature is for you while iFi recommends a full 400 hours for a complete burn in where there would be increases in technicalities.

Mine sounds exactly the same as the first time I used it about 2-300 hours of use ago.

Were you guys listening along the way, or just letting the gear burn in 24/7 until you met your hours before having a listen?

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,529 of 9,047
Were you guys listening along the way, or just letting the gear burn in 24/7 until you met your hours before having a listen?

Mine was burning in both while being listened to and when not being listened to. I did have a timer on my phone to count the hours whenever I'd have to stop the playing.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,532 of 9,047
Guys, just thought I'd put this out there after roughly 8 months with each of the following - 

- iDSD nano
- Chord Hugo
- Sony ZX1 + PHA-2
- Furutech ADL X1 w/iPod Classic (last of the 2010 models, purchased new in 2014)

I have a selection of desktop gear too, but in terms of the gear that I can throw in a satchel and take wherever I want, that's it. I also use the nano as a USB-SPDIF converter into my desktop DACs, but it mainly sees laptop duty when I cant be bothered hooking up to the Marantz or Oppo DACs. 

All of the above sound good to my ears - I particularly like the Sony combo but their bizarre charging requirements and poor battery life rule them out as (trans)portable choices IMO. Hook the ZX1 to the PHA-2 and you'll be stunned by how quickly that battery icon starts to fade into the danger zone. The X1 is very good as both USB DAC and partnered with the Classic - much better battery life if a slightly less powerful combo with fullsize cans, and by now most of you will know what the Hugo can and can't do - I've used it with my iPad via the CCK and I even enjoy the Bluetooth functionality from time to time. 

The point of all this ? When I sat down and asked myself what I should sell and what I want to keep to fund the purchase of the new Schiit DAC - which I estimate to be in the region of 4K USD landed here in Thailand - I quickly realised that the nano is the one portable DAC/amp I'm not willing to part with despite that fact that it doesnt pair easily with any of my sources other than my laptop.  Whatever the sonic pluses of the other gear, in sheer BFYB terms the iFi is an absolute marvel. I've got 3 nights on an island in the Gulf of Thailand starting tomorrow to make my final decision, but at this stage I fear that everything will go except the smallest and cheapest of the lot : if only everything in this crazy hobby was such sensational value for money. Take a bow, iFi - you nailed the nano. 

My only disagreement would be get micro. Nano is great but Micro superb. Regarding the Sony and battery life,absolutely. Makes the ZX1 worthless when used for digital output only. Cannot understand what it is processing to drain so much power. I get 3 hours with Sony and 10 hours plus with my Cowon P1.
My Hugo is my back up now cos it won't recharge with 5v usb but needs separate charger.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #2,533 of 9,047
If the Ifi micro idsd had been around last year I wouldn't have bought the Hugo. It is not a question of the Hugo being 20 % better for like 300 % more. I could go for that. No, I think the idsd is as good as. And I really like the Hugo.
Easier to charge too and better battery life.

I keep going to back to what you've said here, and it blows me away. I've not heard the Chord Hugo, but I'd really like to.

What I find fascinating is that you prefer the iDSD micro over the Hugo.

By any chance could you to into more detail why you feel this way?

Several times I've almost purchased the Chord Hugo and something stopped me. It wasn't even the price.

Now I have pretty much the whole array of iFi micro products: iUSB, iDSD, iTube and iCan, and I'm feeling my way around them now. I'm pretty sure I'll be sending the iCan back because it simply isn't as good as my current HP amp. I even ordered the Gemini cable today. Just wondering what makes the iDSD micro so special to you, over the Hugo.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2,534 of 9,047
I keep going to back to what you've said here, and it blows me away. I've not heard the Chord Hugo, but I'd really like to.

What I find fascinating is that you prefer the iDSD micro over the Hugo.

By any chance could you to into more detail why you feel this way?

Several times I've almost purchased the Chord Hugo and something stopped me. It wasn't even the price.

Now I have pretty much the whole array of iFi micro products: iUSB, iDSD, iTube and iCan, and I'm feeling my way around them now. I'm pretty sure I'll be sending the iCan back because it simply isn't as good as my current HP amp. I even ordered the Gemini cable today. Just wondering what makes the iDSD micro so special to you, over the Hugo.

I prefer the Micro over the Hugo because of longer battery life and easier to recharge. In terms of sound quality I said the Hugo is excellent but I do not feel it is any better than the Micro which makes the choice a no brainer.If you had the micro and then heard the Hugo I do not think you would think "wow" this is better. That is how high I rate the Micro.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2,535 of 9,047
Tube ? Are you sure that the iDSD micro uses tubes ? Or do you talk about iTube oder nano ?

Sorry. I am using the iDSD as a solo DAC and connect it to my tube amp (Garage1217 Project Sunrise III) :)

Using the term "muscular" doesn't sound to appealing. What do you mean?

Muscular as in, very energetic, musical, slight hint of warm and good textures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back