iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 30, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #2,551 of 9,047
Anyone have much experience with the Gemini cable?

I got mine in yesterday and boy did it really make a difference with the iUSB Power. Clarity and instrument seperation is through the roof!

But I wonder if anyone has experienced a touch of brightness by adding the cable? Not enough to give me a sense of faux clarity because of tweaks to to the upper mids or highs, because in really dense music I'm now hearing nuances that were once burried...but just an extra sheen?

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #2,552 of 9,047
  WOW

I've been impressed w/ iFi since I bought my iCAN, iUSB PowerPlant, and iPhono! But...

When I got to hear the Micro iDSD w/ Alex (Rosson) at Canjam - and he kept holding it up to the screen during our chat on EnjoyTheMusic.TV
(that was hilarious - and GREAT for iFi) I was really blown away, in a way that doesn't happen often:

I was blown away by the Micros sound w/ my LCD-XCs - first and foremost - but, also, the options/feature-set!

Since I got mine (and full column coming about this component at PFO BTW) I've used it as a straight-up USB DAC, Amp/DAC, 
and I LOVE using it w/ my iPad via my CCK...

But - I discovered yet another level:

Micro iDSD - Audeze LCD-X via ALL Nordost Heimdall 2 cable loom (USB to headphone cable)
TIDAL & Amarra sQ + Amarra Symphony as sources...

BANG

Hello MM

So now that ive read your fave about the RAL KEB02iP Battery-Powered Headphone Amplifier / DAC on ETM.....you just have to clue us in on where it stands vs. the ifi....

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #2,553 of 9,047
Jan 31, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,554 of 9,047
I'm looking to pair my idsd with a iusbpower with a gemini cable, but I'm a little confused about the connection.

Is iusbpower designed for pairing with idac? How can I pair it with idsd?

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,555 of 9,047
I'm looking to pair my idsd with a iusbpower with a gemini cable, but I'm a little confused about the connection.

Is iusbpower designed for pairing with idac? How can I pair it with idsd?

It's exactly the same except that the iDSD uses a USB A male instead of a USB B female.

Just use the blue cable that comes with the iDSD or use any USB cable with the adaptor supplied with the iDSD.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2,556 of 9,047
It's exactly the same except that the iDSD uses a USB A male instead of a USB B female.

Just use the blue cable that comes with the iDSD or use any USB cable with the adaptor supplied with the iDSD.

But if I connect the idsd and the iusbpower with the blue cable, I'll not be able to use the USB A male as digital input. 

Is it possible to pair them up with Gemini Cable? I believe on the very first post of this thread, @MLGrado is doing so. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,558 of 9,047

I have recently become a convert to upsampling my PCM. It seems to increase resonance, imaging and details. I upsample in Jriver as follows
44, 88 & 176 converts to 352 khz
48, 96 & 192 converts to 384 khz
This formula uses factors of 2, 4 & 8 and satisfies the mathematician in my head. It also seems to sound better, especially upsampling 44 to 352 instead of 384.
I play all files in native format and never convert. The dsd I play as is.

I'm not saying this doesn't work, but man, I'm just not hearing it. Is there any particular recording that you recommend a listen with these settings?

I'll tell you what does work in Jriver though. iFi crew, you might want to give this a try, too, and see what you think.

For the Love of MONO in the Bog...

For anyone who's tried it, listening to Mono on headphones produces less than desirable results. There's little doubt that mono recordings sound best with speakers, in the home, in the car, but especially with a nice turntable and tube gear.

Well, I've been playing a little bit with my iDSD micro, and after a little time, the thing is really opening up (though I admit after 216 hours of burn in, I've only put about 4 hours of listening in, tops [if that]). Nevertheless, gone is that compressed sound I had originally heard, so I don't think it's my mind getting used to it.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of changing settings within my music player. Jriver has a lot of cool features, but I've always felt that they've been just toys, when the real sound I want is what the artist ended (or as close as we can get). For some reason I started messing around with the Room Correction feature in Jriver, even though this is meant for speakers.

Long story short, I've made a very close stereo simulation out of mono recordings, without any EQ, where it doesn't sound at all artificial. In fact, it still sounds very organic, very period, but without the flatness one get from mono recordings in cans. This is for those people who appreciate the difference between mono and stereo mixes, but want to keep their cans on:

Go to DSP Studio - > Room Correction. Choose the Left Speaker at set it at 35.0 ft. Do not mess with the volume. Check the Reverse Polarity box (This is an aspect that helps keep the balance of what I'm proposing)

Next, go to the Right Speaker. Set the Right Speaker at 24.5 ft. Then, set the volume at +2.1 db, which is also going to help you balance the "mix."

Voila! There you have it! It's sort of a mock stereo effect, much like the reverse of a fold down mono mix. I've tried many mono recordings: Several Beatles albums, the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds," Jimi Hendrix's mono mixes of "Are Your Experienced" and "Axis: Bold as Love,"  The Door's "The Doors" (1967) in mono, some early Steve Miller mono, some Elvis and a little '50s jazz, by various. Oh, and Billie Holliday gets new life in mono.

NOTE: This gives the sound more heft. It makes it sound fuller, without losing the nuances that makes mono mixes so unique and special.

Check it out. I might have to post this on the JRiver site.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #2,559 of 9,047

But if I connect the idsd and the iusbpower with the blue cable, I'll not be able to use the USB A male as digital input. 

Is it possible to pair them up with Gemini Cable? I believe on the very first post of this thread, @MLGrado is doing so. 

Yes, you have to use the adapter that comes with the iDSD micro. The one in the sealed pouch. You plug that in to the back of your iDSD and then you can plug USB B plug of the Gemini cable into the iDSD. Then run the other two USB A plugs into the iUSB Power. Remember, the one USB cable with the note on it goes into the Power + audio port, and the USB cable with the battery goes into the battery only port of the iUSB Power. So, you're port on the iUSB power goes into your computer. I'm using the translucent USB cable that came with the unit to great results.

Does this help?

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #2,560 of 9,047

The digital input is on the iUSB Power.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #2,561 of 9,047

Yes, you have to use the adapter that comes with the iDSD micro. The one in the sealed pouch. You plug that in to the back of your iDSD and then you can plug USB B plug of the Gemini cable into the iDSD. Then run the other two USB A plugs into the iUSB Power. Remember, the one USB cable with the note on it goes into the Power + audio port, and the USB cable with the battery goes into the battery only port of the iUSB Power. So, you're port on the iUSB power goes into your computer. I'm using the translucent USB cable that came with the unit to great results.

Does this help?

The digital input is on the iUSB Power.

Makes a lot more sense. Thank you!

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #2,562 of 9,047
For Evolvist

I must admit that upsampling is in a category of very minor tweaks. It's impact on SQ is subtle. What I detect is a slightly smoother sound, as if the music flows a little better. I believe this is mostly due to the idsd's fantastic ability to play hi-res. Of course, as in most things digital, YRMV.

Those are some interesting things you are doing in JRiver for your mono playback. I inherited some mono in my digital collection which includes a half dozen Beatles albums. I might try playing with some of those settings when I listen to it next time.

So very many options to try in this digital world. It keeps things fun....unless you have OCD.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #2,563 of 9,047
In my Jriver, the only dsp studio items I use is the advanced limiter and equalizer where I make slight tweaks to make up for the recessed tweaks on my headphones. I've played with the other features but choose to stay away from them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #2,564 of 9,047
I Have just joined this thread, and i wanted to ask, this thing compares to chord hugo as far as SQ goes?... I have been kind of sent from chord hugo thread here!

Also, is this the best variation of what iFi is producing?

Also, i don't use anything above redbook flacs, and moslty neither i don't use anything under..

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #2,565 of 9,047
I Have just joined this thread, and i wanted to ask, this thing compares to chord hugo as far as SQ goes?... I have been kind of sent from chord hugo thread here!

Also, is this the best variation of what iFi is producing?

Also, i don't use anything above redbook flacs, and moslty neither i don't use anything under..

I too listen mainly to red book flac,nothing below and some HD flac.
The iDSD is currently best portable dac/amp they make. Yes, I believe sq compares favorably with Hugo. Put price difference to some 846 if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back