If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 12, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #8,071 of 19,256
I will also say the xr gives you pretty much what the sr gives you in terms of improved treble over the er4s. It sounds very similar to the er4sr overall, but the bass gives a touch of warmth. You could look at that as making the music more relaxing or slightly masking the treble and mids ever so slightly. Either way :)

But the er4sr is something i feel I'm liking more and more with every song. It's a tough call, but I'd say the er4sr in my opinion is a shift in response. I personally feel like wherever they made changes in the treble they took away elsewhere. In other words they took this from here and moved it to there. And my impression is that they did that based on feedback over thhe years. They improved the 2-3khz area but possibly lowered or raised a spot somewhere in the treble elsewhere. So the overall impression may be one of an improvement, and it may be argued that it "is" an improvement. But i feel like the total accuracy from a technical standpoint, to my ears, is roughly the same.

As the treble crispness brings out so much detail, and the smoothness difference is slight, and the 2-3khz is perfect, i think I'll probably grow to prefer these in every way myself.

We're in a weird time where we have literally the top three best earphones on the planet here. And now we have to nitpick over which has the better response. While that might seem like a pain, it's really a blessing.

Each person can get the one that satisfies them the most, but still know they are hearing the same accuracy within a small percent of the other models. And much more accuracy than other earphones... I like that.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #8,076 of 19,256
I need to stop following this thread until my money clears to buy the XR's. The pain, the suffering!!!!

Haha it will be worth the wait:)

Hotel California album sounds superb. And days of future past orchestrations by mood blues sound fabulous...

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #8,077 of 19,256
Yes, the XR really is incredible. I was genuinely serious that I don't see myself buying any other earphones. They have my dream sound signature down to a T. And yes, there are things the SR can do ever so slightly better as has already been mentioned, but to my ears there's nothing the XR can't do. To me, it really is the perfect balance of accuracy and warmth that I've been after for many years.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #8,079 of 19,256
Yes, the XR really is incredible. I was genuinely serious that I don't see myself buying any other earphones. They have my dream sound signature down to a T. And yes, there are things the SR can do ever so slightly better as has already been mentioned, but to my ears there's nothing the XR can't do. To me, it really is the perfect balance of accuracy and warmth that I've been after for many years.

I'd have to say that I don't think it gets much better than these two.

I think the er4sr has a better sense of transparency to heart "into" or "through" the music. But the er4xr sounds more like a speaker as far as earphones can imitate one. It's an absolutely phenominal response.

Scanning through tracks, i ended up on the original aja cd by steely dan. I absolutely had to listen to the entirety of the album. It sounds phenominal. I'd say it sounds languid and bittersweet... *cough*

The basses sound superb and every single harmony backup vocal is so incredibly easy to hear distinctly. And donald fagen's prduction quality is so faithfully heard.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #8,082 of 19,256
Hi there...

Can somebody please post a side-by-side picture of the old ER4 and the new ER4XR together without any tips attached, please?

I've had my ER-4P for more than 10 years now and have made my own foam eartips this whole time using a belt hole punch (and scissors to cut to size). I use up about two pair of foam tips per week (they get dirty pretty quickly here at work).

http://i.imgur.com/bvJ44Xh.jpg

I'd like to have a look at the new version without any tips attached to determine if this method would still work. I would be very grateful if somebody could take the time to do it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Brgds...   /Thomas-

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #8,084 of 19,256
  Hi there...

Can somebody please post a side-by-side picture of the old ER4 and the new ER4XR together without any tips attached, please?

I've had my ER-4P for more than 10 years now and have made my own foam eartips this whole time using a belt hole punch (and scissors to cut to size). I use up about two pair of foam tips per week (they get dirty pretty quickly here at work).

http://i.imgur.com/bvJ44Xh.jpg

I'd like to have a look at the new version without any tips attached to determine if this method would still work. I would be very grateful if somebody could take the time to do it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Brgds...   /Thomas-

Post# 8001.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back