If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 4, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #19,247 of 19,251
After trying the ER4SR again after almost 3 months of using the ER4XR, I still view the ER4SR is much cleaner and the flatter bass is much better as I'm noticing moments where 4XR bass wither stock or EQ'd up starts cloud the mids/treble. I think I might keep the ER4XR as for moments where I want a warmer sound and as a back up IEM's.

May 4, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #19,248 of 19,251
After trying the ER4SR again after almost 3 months of using the ER4XR, I still view the ER4SR is much cleaner and the flatter bass is much better as I'm noticing moments where 4XR bass wither stock or EQ'd up starts cloud the mids/treble. I think I might keep the ER4XR as for moments where I want a warmer sound and as a back up IEM's.
That's my take on the two - The SR's are my main IEM, and the XR I like to use for travel, playing the drums, or just for a little more bass.

May 5, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #19,249 of 19,251
They’re both excellent and timeless IEMs still relevant today. The SR will sound cleaner to most people specially audiophiles since they all hate or don’t care about lower mids. But if you’re hyper focusing on the lower end, it has poor texture when rendering double bass and cellos, and this is where the XR pulls ahead. But of course it’s all about compromises and minmaxing at the end of the day.

May 7, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #19,250 of 19,251
They’re both excellent and timeless IEMs still relevant today. The SR will sound cleaner to most people specially audiophiles since they all hate or don’t care about lower mids. But if you’re hyper focusing on the lower end, it has poor texture when rendering double bass and cellos, and this is where the XR pulls ahead. But of course it’s all about compromises and minmaxing at the end of the day.
ER4XR Is better overall package since you can EQ It into sounding like other bassier IEM's(8 ~ 12db) without issues or mimic 4SR bass with -4db 105Hz low shelf. I got the ER4XR because adding another 4db It sounds like some of the Multi-BA/DD IEM's I tried, On the ER4SR/ER4S that would've been 8db 100Hz low shelf hence I need stronger amp to drive that. 0.8 ~ 1.6% at 104db/1KHz Is still low since that 0.39 ~ 0.85% at 96db/1KHz.

ER4XR Is basically the warm neutral version of the ER4S/ER4SR was Neutral IEM's, Many thought you couldn't do this in a single BA set up.

May 7, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #19,251 of 19,251
ER4XR Is better overall package since you can EQ It into sounding like other bassier IEM's(8 ~ 12db) without issues or mimic 4SR bass with -4db 105Hz low shelf. I got the ER4XR because adding another 4db It sounds like some of the Multi-BA/DD IEM's I tried, On the ER4SR/ER4S that would've been 8db 100Hz low shelf hence I need stronger amp to drive that. 0.8 ~ 1.6% at 104db/1KHz Is still low since that 0.39 ~ 0.85% at 96db/1KHz.

ER4XR Is basically the warm neutral version of the ER4S/ER4SR was Neutral IEM's, Many thought you couldn't do this in a single BA set up.
I have heard other full BA sets and besides the Sony IER-M9, nothing quite slams like the Etymotics.

Moondrop S8 and Audiosense DT-200 for example sounded rather tame and dead compared to even ER3SE when it came to rendering percussion hits.

I guess deep insertion is almost like cheating when it comes to this. And it explains why the Z1R also feels at least 2x of what it graphs like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back