If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #8,086 of 19,256
The er4xr (Have i been calling them the er4sx? lol) are blowing my mind tonight.

I haven't been comparing. Just listening to the xr. These things are incredible in their own right. There are going to be many happy users...

Hmm....ER4SX (as you call the ER4XR)....sounds very sexy to me 
biggrin.gif
 I'm leaning very much towards the ER4XR for now. Well actually, I'll just have to test both the ER4SR (compare it with my ER4B ala ClieOS' cable and red filter + grey triple flange) and ER4XR then I'm ready to have a long term relationship with one of them and if the SR and XR are so irresistible then I'll marry them both. Have to make sure Wifey doesn't know 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 Looking forward to listen to the whole Aja album again with these, like you pointed out....one of my all time favorite album too.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #8,088 of 19,256
The er4xr (Have i been calling them the er4sx? lol) are blowing my mind tonight.

I haven't been comparing. Just listening to the xr. These things are incredible in their own right. There are going to be many happy users...

Hmm....ER4SX (as you call the ER4XR)....sounds very sexy to me :D  I'm leaning very much towards the ER4XR for now. Well actually, I'll just have to test both the ER4SR (compare it with my ER4B ala ClieOS' cable and red filter + grey triple flange) and ER4XR then I'm ready to have a long term relationship with one of them and if the SR and XR are so irresistible then I'll marry them both. Have to make sure Wifey doesn't know :D  :D  :D  Looking forward to listen to the whole Aja album again with these, like you pointed out....one of my all time favorite album too.

I went back last night and listened to the whole album again with the er4sr as well. Amazing album.

Man, I'm not sure which i like better. The er4sr definitely brings out the dynamics and distinction between instruments. All the sounds across the stereo field just jump out really well. The instruments sound clear and up front. They sound as though they jump out at you more. Things are very open and spacious and sound very transparent.

The er4xr on the other hand has a bit more body. the basses sound a bit more noticeable in the mix and the vocals and instruments all have a little more thickness to them. This comes at a slight loss of that stand-out clarity that makes things pop more. but it also makes the album a bit more relaxing in tone and things like harmonies have a very nice body to the vocal. I'm not sure which I think sounds better.

They both have thier strengths. As picky as I am, they both make me wish there was a model that had the exact same bass boost, but that it would end around 100hz at most. :-o

anyway, they both sound superb.... :p

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #8,089 of 19,256
I went back last night and listened to the whole album again with the er4sr as well. Amazing album.

Man, I'm not sure which i like better. The er4sr definitely brings out the dynamics and distinction between instruments. All the sounds across the stereo field just jump out really well. The instruments sound clear and up front. They sound as though they jump out at you more. Things are very open and spacious and sound very transparent.

The er4xr on the other hand has a bit more body. the basses sound a bit more noticeable in the mix and the vocals and instruments all have a little more thickness to them. This comes at a slight loss of that stand-out clarity that makes things pop more. but it also makes the album a bit more relaxing in tone and things like harmonies have a very nice body to the vocal. I'm not sure which I think sounds better.

They both have thier strengths. As picky as I am, they both make me wish there was a model that had the exact same bass boost, but that it would end around 100hz at most. :-o

Now you got me listening to the AJA album again (as I'm typing). I'm playing this album through MOJO + ER4B with red filters and I'm loving every single note that's oozing out...smooth pristine high frequencies that has a certain airiness to it...clear detailed mids that pops out without sounding honky (with the red filters of course)...and a very tight bottom end without any emphasis that delivers every single bass line and kick drum that anchors the whole band so tightly together. And oh....those fast transients from the toms, snare and cymbals that image so well in the stereo field it almost makes me feel like I'm the GoPro camera sitting on top of Steve Gadd's head while he plays the drums....especially during the drum breaks on the Aja song. Truly an amazingly well engineered album realised through an amazing IEM.....truly stunning. I just can't wait to experience how the ER4SR/XR can top this already amazing performance of my ER4B with red filters and grey triflange tips. I'm prepared to spend $700 already....damn 
biggrin.gif

PS: Luisdent, check out Frans Vollink - Sebastiaan Cornelissen – One Spirit (very well recorded album) with your ER4SR and XR and tell me how good it sounds....quick poison me.... 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #8,090 of 19,256

Now you got me listening to the AJA album again (as I'm typing). I'm playing this album through MOJO + ER4B with red filters and I'm loving every single note that's oozing out...smooth pristine high frequencies that has a certain airiness to it...clear detailed mids that pops out without sounding honky (with the red filters of course)...and a very tight bottom end without any emphasis that delivers every single bass line and kick drum that anchors the whole band so tightly together. And oh....those fast transients from the toms, snare and cymbals that image so well in the stereo field it almost makes me feel like I'm the GoPro camera sitting on top of Steve Gadd's head while he plays the drums....especially during the drum breaks on the Aja song. Truly an amazingly well engineered album realised through an amazing IEM.....truly stunning. I just can't wait to experience how the ER4SR/XR can top this already amazing performance of my ER4B with red filters and grey triflange tips. I'm prepared to spend $700 already....damn :D  

PS: Luisdent, check out Frans Vollink - Sebastiaan Cornelissen – One Spirit (very well recorded album) with your ER4SR and XR and tell me how good it sounds....quick poison me.... :D  

Hehe. I can check it later tonight.

I can't comment on the er4b red filtered, but I can say that the er4sr has improved apparent transients over the er4s due to the change in treble, and it really makes albums like aja sound better in terms of clarity and impact for things like tom drums, etc.

If you really like that transient sound, the er4xr may not be as much to your liking. It has superb transients, but the added bass makes things a touch more laid back.

What I find happens the most on some songs, is that I feel the need to turn up the volume with the er4xr, as though I could compensate for the slightly lower transient/treble. But of course that doesn't help much.

I feel like the er4xr sound best a low to moderate volumes, which makes sense with the way our ears perceive bass at low volumes, let alone in an earphone. That isn't to say it sounds bad loud, but rather the overall tone of the earphone is a little more neutral at lower volumes. Or it sounds apparently more neutral to my ears.

It really is a toss up, but they both are excellent, and i'm glad they stopped where they did with the bass boost. It is a very smooth curve which makes the boost seem very consistent with the er4 sound.

It may depend on your mood, or perhaps your environment, as to which sounds better at any given time. I love the transients of the er4sr on hotel california. The bass is perfect and everything just sits exactly where it should be. But the er4xr has a great body to the bass and gives it a bit more of a meatier sound.

What makes it so hard to compare them is that they don't sound "that" much different. Granted, for someone who prefers a very neutral sound, it is a different experience for sure, but not becuase there is a lot more bass. It just has "enough" extra bass to change the experience. Listening to some songs by secret garden (an amazing norweigan ocherstral piano/guitar duo) i prefer the er4sr, as every nuance of string separation, and flutes, and oboes, and voices can be heard so increibly well. However, other songs of theirs that have fewer instruments, like piano and violin alone come across very nicely on the er4xr. The added body gives the impression of a more appropriate "weight" to the instruments. As though they are a bit more real. But sometimes this added weight comes at the cost of the transient details and how that can make things stand out a certain way....

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #8,091 of 19,256
Hehe. I can check it later tonight.

I can't comment on the er4b red filtered, but I can say that the er4sr has improved apparent transients over the er4s due to the change in treble, and it really makes albums like aja sound better in terms of clarity and impact for things like tom drums, etc.

If you really like that transient sound, the er4xr may not be as much to your liking. It has superb transients, but the added bass makes things a touch more laid back.

What I find happens the most on some songs, is that I feel the need to turn up the volume with the er4xr, as though I could compensate for the slightly lower transient/treble. But of course that doesn't help much.

I feel like the er4xr sound best a low to moderate volumes, which makes sense with the way our ears perceive bass at low volumes, let alone in an earphone. That isn't to say it sounds bad loud, but rather the overall tone of the earphone is a little more neutral at lower volumes. Or it sounds apparently more neutral to my ears.

It really is a toss up, but they both are excellent, and i'm glad they stopped where they did with the bass boost. It is a very smooth curve which makes the boost seem very consistent with the er4 sound.

It may depend on your mood, or perhaps your environment, as to which sounds better at any given time. I love the transients of the er4sr on hotel california. The bass is perfect and everything just sits exactly where it should be. But the er4xr has a great body to the bass and gives it a bit more of a meatier sound.

What makes it so hard to compare them is that they don't sound "that" much different. Granted, for someone who prefers a very neutral sound, it is a different experience for sure, but not becuase there is a lot more bass. It just has "enough" extra bass to change the experience. Listening to some songs by secret garden (an amazing norweigan ocherstral piano/guitar duo) i prefer the er4sr, as every nuance of string separation, and flutes, and oboes, and voices can be heard so increibly well. However, other songs of theirs that have fewer instruments, like piano and violin alone come across very nicely on the er4xr. The added body gives the impression of a more appropriate "weight" to the instruments. As though they are a bit more real. But sometimes this added weight comes at the cost of the transient details and how that can make things stand out a certain way....

Yes I totally agree with you regarding the masking effect when you add some low end, the higher frequency details tend to be slightly compromised or masked in the process. Btw, you should one day try converting your ER4S to the ER4B with the correct resistor and pop in the Etymotic red filter and then pair it with the grey triple flange tips and share your opinion.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #8,093 of 19,256
What I'm inferring is that the er4xr is subtly boosted and still smooth like the er4s, but easier to drive and less microphonics. There was a reference that compared them to speakers. That's what I'm looking for. I want to be able to take it with me. Clarity from top to bottom. I always felt my ears have had to reach out a little too much for bass on the er4s with no eq.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #8,095 of 19,256
What I'm inferring is that the er4xr is subtly boosted and still smooth like the er4s, but easier to drive and less microphonics. There was a reference that compared them to speakers. That's what I'm looking for. I want to be able to take it with me. Clarity from top to bottom. I always felt my ears have had to reach out a little too much for bass on the er4s with no eq.

Definitely. It's essentially the exact overall sound other than the extra bass which isn't drastic. And it is implemented very smoothly. This is probably it for most er4s users that wanted more bass but nothing majorly different.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #8,096 of 19,256
^ That would describe me. I'm far from a bass head, but I think most ER4S owners would like a similar sound with just a bit more bass. 

That said, I do want to hear the SR, if possible. Otherwise, I have the XR in my sites. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #8,098 of 19,256
^ That would describe me. I'm far from a bass head, but I think most ER4S owners would like a similar sound with just a bit more bass. 

That said, I do want to hear the SR, if possible. Otherwise, I have the XR in my sites. 

To me the er4sr actually feels like it really does have a bit more bass, even though i dont think it technically does. The er4xr has more though. :)

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #8,099 of 19,256
Definitely. It's essentially the exact overall sound other than the extra bass which isn't drastic. And it is implemented very smoothly. This is probably it for most er4s users that wanted more bass but nothing majorly different.

Since you happen to have the ER4XR, how would the XR compare to the ER4P in terms of overall balance/'warmth ratio'? In the same league but with brighter top end?

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #8,100 of 19,256
So this has been fascinating. I had seen an email about the "new" er4's. Just finally got to checking them out. Wondered what you guys had to say. I was only 50 or so pages behind. So that took a few seconds. Anyway I am very interested.

(cough) Especially to find out about upgrade options for existing owners.(cough)

So here's my story. Bought the ER4PT's to use on stage is IEM's and to do some mixing with. At the time I had a room set up with near fields and sound treatment. These would just be to check things on. I also didn't get the P to S adapter with my set. I bought them just before they started doing that. I did end up buying the adapter at some point. I never noticed a huge difference. Definitely a little more top end and clarity, but I can use either. So I've mostly stuck with them "stock".

After a while (aka after joining head-fi) I started to wonder if there was something better. Especially in the low end. Also somewhere in here life happened (aka I now have a wife, 2 kids, and one on the way), so I don't have a treated room anymore. That said I mostly/only mix on headphones. I already had some over the ears. Senn HD280's, KRK KNS8400. Found out about the Aurisonic rockets. Bought them. And then the Flare R2's came out. Got a set of the R2Pro's. Both dynamic and single driver. I honestly have my concerns about multi-driver design. Hybrid or not. Anytime you add crossovers you "can" run into phase issues. Not saying it's a real problem. But it's a possibility. I really like both of those also and have had a hard time getting rid of either. I love the low end they have. Not that I'm a bass head, but I could hear low mid mud that the ety's just didn't seem to be able to reproduce. So my mixes never had the punch in the low mids I wanted.

So my ety's were kind of set aside and forgotten. But after a bit I missed their "air and detail" compared to the others. So they made it back into the rotation. This was a good combo. I could use different ones for dialing in different parts of the spectrum. And once things sounded right on all of them, my mixes translated quite well.  This worked great at first. But then the cable went bad on one side of my Ety's.

I had seen some of the aftermarket options and decided to do more research. Again I ended up here and found ClieOS's cables. Ordered a P and a B cable. First thing I noticed was the improved bass response. Not massive or basshead, but seemingly flat down to 80hz or so. So I'm not sure if I maybe had a bad cable or what, but finally the "sound" I was searching for. Definitely not bass heavy, but I really think they used to start to roll off around 250-300hz. Just maybe a dB or so per octave. They had info down to 60-80 hz, but it was definitely recessed. But with ClieOS's cables I was able to use one set for everything and just double check on the others.

I was in audio heaven. Then etymotic says "hey look here we made them better". So after spending a good chunk of time reading this thread, I'm not sure which one's to order. Ideally both. But remember there's a reason I don't have a room with my monitors set up anymore. Kids are expensive. Almost as expensive as this audio world haha. And that's not counting the Mrs. Don't get me wrong I would trade her, but I might listen to offers. :wink:

My instinct says the SR model. You know studio reference. Seems right up my ally, but I don't want them to remind me of my initial P's. I guess I could make a better decision once I know more about the aforementioned upgrade options. Guess I could order the SR's and use the return policy if I felt it need more low end.

Also I've been seeing some talk about tips. I have tried quite a few of those (although I had no idea about the different filters), and have came to love the comply P-series tips. They have a plastic inner tube that keeps the highs from being dampened by the foam. I can get a good deep insertion and seal. Something I never could get with the tri-flanges. Any size. Etymotic's customer service was even nice enough to send me some extra long ones. The glider tips seemed to work best on me. I think I have a weird bend in my ear. Oh "moistening" trick also helps the comply's last much longer. I had almost ordered some custom silicone tips until I found the P's and that trick. I may eventually get some custom tips, but now that the comply's last 2 months or more, I don't mind paying for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back