iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #11,418 of 13,503
I'll give mine a listen tomorrow on the walk to the bus stop on the way to work. I'm taking it to the London meet on Saturday so good thing this new fw is being well-received already, as several other good DAPs will be there and there's talk of a shoot-out - got to have this thing put it's best foot forward.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #11,419 of 13,503
Yes, the new firmware is warmer sounding. More like a Wolfson dac vs the Sabre. Interesting how the firmware can change the dac sound. I would say the sound is more natural and well rounded but I still like 1.2.7 but I have the option of either one, which is nice. I need to listen to some more hirez stuff and see how it does with acoustic or well recorded live and non acoustically challenged music. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #11,420 of 13,503
Yes, the new firmware is warmer sounding. More like a Wolfson dac vs the Sabre. Interesting how the firmware can change the dac sound. I would say the sound is more natural and well rounded but I still like 1.2.7 but I have the option of either one, which is nice.

+1 in that we still have the option to select the sound signature we want through firmware

but, I still hope that iBasso would implement something that we can change the sound signature without reinstalling a firmware, factory resetting, reindexing and getting back all the bugs that the old fw has. An option similar to 'theming' the sound through setting much like the src/d-filter option. Not through the current EQ function lol

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #11,421 of 13,503
When I first plugged in the USB after installing the new firmware Win 7 gave a USB error. After some rummaging around got that straightened out but now the DX100 shows up as two separate items to eject, one for iBasso the other for J: drive which is the SDCard.  Very curious.

Oh BTW, the 'pop' at startup and wakeup from sleep is still there ;o(

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #11,422 of 13,503
Quote:
When I first plugged in the USB after installing the new firmware Win 7 gave a USB error. After some rummaging around got that straightened out but now the DX100 shows up as two separate items to eject, one for iBasso the other for J: drive which is the SDCard.  Very curious.

Yes, mine has always showed the SD card if it was inserted and connected to the USB. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #11,423 of 13,503
Quote:

Mine's always shown up as two devices to eject. One for IBasso and the other for SDcard.

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #11,424 of 13,503
Quote:

That's normal, and I really believe that the pop on waking is a hardware thing, I seriously doubt it will ever be fixed with firmware.

To me it's a non issue.  I'm totally used to it.  And once the music starts playing, all I can think of is how great this thing sounds!

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #11,425 of 13,503
I'm listening to 1.4.2 right now, so far it sounds great through my Westones.  No issues so far.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #11,426 of 13,503
Yes, the pop has been discussed many times and it's hardware related. I can't wait to get home and try 1.4.2. I think it's the sound I've really been looking for based on what everyone else is saying. I'm thinking it'll pair particularly well with my crystal piccolino and LCD-2 setup.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #11,427 of 13,503
Quote:
Yes, the pop has been discussed many times and it's hardware related. I can't wait to get home and try 1.4.2. I think it's the sound I've really been looking for based on what everyone else is saying. I'm thinking it'll pair particularly well with my crystal piccolino and LCD-2 setup.

Even if it's hardware, it seems like the software could turn off the output upon startup for a few seconds.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #11,428 of 13,503
Quote:

Even if it's hardware, it seems like the software could turn off the output upon startup for a few seconds.

This thread is 762 pages long.  Please, you have to believe me, this has come up MANY, MANY times!

It's hardware, it's not going away.  

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #11,429 of 13,503
Quote:

This thread is 762 pages long.  Please, you have to believe me, this has come up MANY, MANY times!

It's hardware, it's not going away.  

Is this the word from iBasso or a layman's opinion?  The FAQ mentions that it's 'normal', but it says nothing regarding the impossibility of removing it.  This isn't normal, my J3 and Clip+ don't behave like this. I think it should be described as a 'known design flaw' and iBasso's statements regarding it stated. Perhaps if the whole picture were included in the FAQ it would come up less.

Since it has as you say 'come up MANY, MANY times!' it's just the kind of discussion that should be covered thoroughly in the FAQ.  

I have searched for and read several posts regarding the issue in this thread but didn't find any 'official' word from iBasso.

However no doubt there's something I missed in 762 pages.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #11,430 of 13,503
Quote:

Is this the word from iBasso or a layman's opinion?  The FAQ mentions that it's 'normal', but it says nothing regarding the impossibility of removing it.  This isn't normal, my J3 and Clip+ don't behave like this. I think it should be described as a 'known design flaw' and iBasso's statements regarding it stated. Perhaps if the whole picture were included in the FAQ it would come up less.

Since it has as you say 'come up MANY, MANY times!' it's just the kind of discussion that should be covered thoroughly in the FAQ.  

I have searched for and read several posts regarding the issue in this thread but didn't find any 'official' word from iBasso.

However no doubt there's something I missed in 762 pages.

Well, it obviously bothers you more that it bothers me.  I hope you can find a way of dealing with it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back