iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #10,471 of 13,503
Quote:
Jamato out of curiousity, normal AK100 or the RWAK100?

This is the stock RK100. As time goes on I may bypass the 22ohm resistor. Not hard at all and I have some excellent wire for this but I like to compare to stock. The RK100 is a nice sounding dap but at this point, no better than my modified H140 with Black Gates and one that has some very high grade surface mount caps. I have also used the AK100 as a source to a dac. The DX at this point is also better. The DX just has more of an organic musical sound.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #10,472 of 13,503
I have a second batch DX100 (March 2012). I've been following this thread since then and have found conflicting opinions on the SQ of the firmware updates.

1.2.7 was fine with me, sounds sweet.

I upgraded to 1.3.5 and then 1.3.7 and I think the SQ is not so good.
Right now I'm rolled back to 1.2.7.
I'm using HiFiMan HE-500's at home and Shure SE535's on the go.

OK. I know the Shure IEM's are not rated highly but right now I can't afford anything better and frankly they sound OK to me.

I'm ONLY interested in  the SQ of the DX100, I don't use playlists and my files are mostly ripped from Redbook CD's at 44.1 / 16 bit.
Have a few high resolution files downloaded from various sites but quite frankly can't tell the difference.

Interested to hear which FW sounds the best for people with top end headphones?

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #10,473 of 13,503
I have a second batch DX100 (March 2012). I've been following this thread since then and have found conflicting opinions on the SQ of the firmware updates.

1.2.7 was fine with me, sounds sweet.

I upgraded to 1.3.5 and then 1.3.7 and I think the SQ is not so good.
Right now I'm rolled back to 1.2.7.
I'm using HiFiMan HE-500's at home and Shure SE535's on the go.

OK. I know the Shure IEM's are not rated highly but right now I can't afford anything better and frankly they sound OK to me.

I'm ONLY interested in  the SQ of the DX100, I don't use playlists and my files are mostly ripped from Redbook CD's at 44.1 / 16 bit.
Have a few high resolution files downloaded from various sites but quite frankly can't tell the difference.

Interested to hear which FW sounds the best for people with top end headphones?

FWIW I installed 1.3.7 and after about 3 hrs listening I rolled back to 1.2.7. With both my k3003 and he-500 1.2.7 sounds just right and perfectly balanced.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #10,475 of 13,503
Seems like hard work being a DX100 owner...
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #10,476 of 13,503
Quote:
Seems like hard work being a DX100 owner...
biggrin.gif

No, not really (is this a double negative meaning, really?), because we have choices. With most all players you don't. I wouldn't trade my DX100 for anything.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #10,477 of 13,503
Choice is really the bottom line, isn't it?  We can argue about how the various firmwares sound but all that matters is we're free to pick the one that works best for us individually.  That's such a great thing.

Back to the original joke, yeah, life is hard. 
wink.gif
  DX100 owners have to pick between file types, bit rates, how to organize music on multiple cards, which headphone/earphone to use (since this DAP sounds good with most cans), output to analog or digital, and use the internal amp or employ an external one.  I don't know how we can stand this situation.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #10,478 of 13,503
Quote:
Choice is really the bottom line, isn't it?  We can argue about how the various firmwares sound but all that matters is we're free to pick the one that works best for us individually.  That's such a great thing.

wink.gif
  DX100 owners have to pick between file types, bit rates, how to organize music on multiple cards, which headphone/earphone to use (since this DAP sounds good with most cans), output to analog or digital, and use the internal amp or employ an external one.  I don't know how we can stand this situation.

I don't know how either.
Then again I never had an iPod/Pad/whatever, nor anything else which had a rotten apple imprinted on it's face so I wouldn't know what that joke is all about.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #10,479 of 13,503
Quote:

wink.gif

Not to get too far off topic but so many people from Alaska go to Hawaii because it is only 4.5 to 5 hours from here and there is the little thing of SUN, that we don't get much of all winter. Funny to go from here to there but frankly, I wish I was on a flight right now. :^) No grizzlies there, right?
------------------

I just ordered another 64gb micro card the other day. B&H had them for one day at 46 dollars with shipping. It was the end of the day when I found out so I didn't really have time to post it here.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #10,480 of 13,503
Quote:
I agree - 1.3.7 sounds "muddy" to me

Will try again with 1.3.7 later. I'm not convinced that there is actually any difference in the SQ but it did sound different to me.
How would a firmware update affect the SQ anyway? Answers please, on the back of a postcard, just for fun!

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #10,481 of 13,503
Having been disappointed with 1.3.5 I loaded up 1.3.7 this evening and listened for an hour. The two sound very similar to me (with UM Miracles). I'll try it again tomorrow but think I'll likely go back to 1.2.7. As I mentioned before, the new firmware sounds less immediate and more constrained to my ears. I find I keep jumping to the next track in the hope it will sound better. Agree with others, though, that it's good we have the choice and I applaud iBasso for striving for continuing improvements.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #10,482 of 13,503
It would be interesting to see how people have their EQ set?

Muddy is definitely not the word I would associate with 1.37. For me EQ is OFF where the 8 dots are unlit but unfortunately have the word Open lit up in the bottom left corner

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #10,483 of 13,503
Quote:
It would be interesting to see how people have their EQ set?

Muddy is definitely not the word I would associate with 1.37. For me EQ is OFF where the 8 dots are unlit but unfortunately have the word Open lit up in the bottom left corner

I never use the EQ ... why would I want to?

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #10,484 of 13,503
No one is asking you to use EQ, just make sure it is in fact OFF!

The EQ has been deceptive through the various FW updates when, off was on, and visa versa................  

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #10,485 of 13,503
Quote:
No one is asking you to use EQ, just make sure it is in fact OFF!

The EQ has been deceptive through the various FW updates when, off was on, and visa versa................  

It is off ... first thing I do after a FW update is a reset and then check all the settings ... I never use the EQ ... why degrade the SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back