iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #10,457 of 13,503
In my opinion there is no difference in sound between 1.3.5 and 1.3.7. I don't hear any. 1.3.5 I liked beter than 1.2.7 because of the bass quality, more energetic sound and better atack. Also I like the vocals better in 1.3.5. Was very surprised to read that some people have returned to 1.2.7. I can understand the dissapointment about the bags (i didn't have any though), but 1.3.5 and 1.3.7 sounds definitely better than 1.2.7

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #10,458 of 13,503
I found 1.3.5 very disappointing sonically. It sounded constrained compared to 1.2.7. It seemed very "dry" and lacking spaciousness. I went back to 1.2.7 and found immediately that the sound was restored to its former glory. Now, it could have been my ears (they're not terribly consistent!), but I'll give 1.3.7 a go later and see how I think that sounds.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #10,459 of 13,503
Quote:
In my opinion there is no difference in sound between 1.3.5 and 1.3.7. I don't hear any. 1.3.5 I liked beter than 1.2.7 because of the bass quality, more energetic sound and better atack. Also I like the vocals better in 1.3.5. Was very surprised to read that some people have returned to 1.2.7. I can understand the dissapointment about the bags (i didn't have any though), but 1.3.5 and 1.3.7 sounds deffenetly better than 1.2.7

+1

Definitely, to my ears too...........and no sonic difference from 1.35 to 1.37, one could tell when it updates as it was so fast comparatively.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #10,460 of 13,503
Quote:
"I found 1.3.5 very disappointing sonically. It sounded constrained compared to 1.2.7. It seemed very "dry" and lacking spaciousness. I went back to 1.2.7 and found immediately that the sound was restored to its former glory. Now, it could have been my ears (they're not terribly consistent!), but I'll give 1.3.7 a go later and see how I think that sounds"

Personally I didn't hear any lack of space and thinness  in the sound. The stage and space seemes very natural to me. Also the bass and drums sound very meaty without any drops in middle and tremble. The keyboards are also great. I have the device since april, tried every single FW, and dx100 had never sounded better than now.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #10,464 of 13,503
for me the vocal are brought forward at 1.3.7 FW
that is possibly why we found it less spacious.
and the whole presentation improved from 1.2.7 from my ear...

even the drum kit sounded better
but yet to do comparison among instrumental track yet

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #10,465 of 13,503
Quote:
In my opinion there is no difference in sound between 1.3.5 and 1.3.7. I don't hear any. 1.3.5 I liked beter than 1.2.7 because of the bass quality, more energetic sound and better atack. Also I like the vocals better in 1.3.5. Was very surprised to read that some people have returned to 1.2.7. I can understand the dissapointment about the bags (i didn't have any though), but 1.3.5 and 1.3.7 sounds definitely better than 1.2.7

I will be trying 1.3.7 again. There may have been some type of conflict within my DX but the sound was diffuse. Easy to go back and forth. In comparing the DX to the AK100 that I got yesterday, there is no comparison. The DX is in a different league. I will see how the AK100 break in but so far. . . Glad to have the DX100, that is for sure!

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #10,467 of 13,503
Quote:
I will be trying 1.3.7 again. There may have been some type of conflict within my DX but the sound was diffuse. Easy to go back and forth. In comparing the DX to the AK100 that I got yesterday, there is no comparison. The DX is in a different league. I will see how the AK100 break in but so far. . . Glad to have the DX100, that is for sure!

A good idea to give it a try)) I've read some comments, that iBasso advise to use their special tool for updating FW in order to avoid any conflicts and bugs, but it includes formating the internal memory. Personally I haven't done a single factory reset or format on the device since I got it in april from the second batch. Player.ru users also do not consider AK100 a competitor for dx100.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #10,468 of 13,503
Quote:

I went back to 1.2.7 from 1.3.5.  "Diffuse" is kinda the same feeling I got with my ears/gears/tunes with 1.3.5.  It wasn't wholly worse, and in fact it seemed like the imaging was better.  But to me the bass weight suffered a little and I didn't quite get the same visceral impact.  As was mentioned, synergy likely plays a role. 

Also, 1.3.5 on some albums was making the last track first and I couldn't seem to fix it, changing SD cards normally required an additional restart to work (music indexing seemed to bog down), the album art was slow to appear, and though I didn't test it the battery life seemed a little shorter as well.

I'm curious about 1.3.7.  Maybe I'll try it out, though I'm wondering if it's close sonically to 1.3.5 whether it's worth it.  I hate to get left behind as the latest firmware should be the one to have but I've been enjoying 1.2.7 so much and it's weaknesses haven't been a problem for me. 

Oh well, it's nice that we have a choice.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #10,469 of 13,503
I've update to 1.3.7. Three hours of constant playing later and so far, so good, no unexpected stops. Everything went smoothly and I did a complete reset to be on the safe side.

I can't hear any noticeable difference compared to 1.3.5 and the sound seems fine, perhaps a touch firmer, more focused and 'cleaner' than 1.2.7 but basically all the positive attributes I always associate with this player. So nice not to have the miss-the-first-second-of-the-song problem any more.

Listening to Bon Iver = happy days...

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #10,470 of 13,503
Those that are testing the sound - can you post what your EQ settings are ie Open or Closed.....or one of the Presets

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back