iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Oct 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #8,476 of 13,503
Quote:
Strangely enough it's not an issue at all on my Tralucent 1Plus2s. Seems my MDR-7550s were showing a noticeable amount more in bass quantity for some strange reason after the firmware update.... I'm also finding the overall sound to be more detailed. Especially in the treble and micro-detailing. Hearing things I haven't heard before in Whitney Houston's "Love Will Save the Day."

So does the bass seem well integrated? I would imagine iBasso is shooting for a very flat freq. response. Does the bass change with recordings? I have some that are recorded bass heavy etc.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #8,478 of 13,503
Quote:
Yeah I'm starting to warm up to the sound even more. There's more depth to the sound now than before as well. The bass was putting me off a bit before but it's actually quite nice. Just it draws your attention to it more than before (in a good way). I am preferring it with EQ off. Went back and forward and found things to be just a tad too distant with EQ enabled on flat.

So you still see a difference between EQ On-Flat vs EQ Off? I'm noticing dB changes still.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #8,479 of 13,503
Quote:

So you still see a difference between EQ On-Flat vs EQ Off? I'm noticing dB changes still.

Yes there is still a dB difference from EQ Custom all bars in middle (thats flat to me) and then with EQ off closed

In fact the dB level is the same through all the EQ settings, it only ever differs in dB from weather its "on" or "off"

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #8,480 of 13,503
Downloading as fast as I can, spinning up my rooting tools. Will update the guide if needed.

But WHY THE FULCRUM didn't they fix the ordering?

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #8,481 of 13,503
The update seems faster to respond, though I was fine with it before but to me, it is faster.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #8,483 of 13,503
I just spent a few hours listening with the new firmware.  Despite my earlier gripes re: directory browsing, I do have to say re: the sound...WOW!!  My player had 1.2.3 loaded when I received it from iBasso.  I never tried 1.1.7 because 1.2.3 sounded good to me.  I didn't know what I was missing.  The difference is VERY noticeable - I can only describe it as more detailed and engaging (and, Lee, I agree that flat EQ definitely sounds better now than before.)  My 2p worth...for those of you who have not upgraded - do it, you'll be much happier with the sound Vs version 1.2.3.

It did take a very, very long time to re-index (or whatever it had to did after the upgrade).  I have about 136GB of music loaded (116GB on the SDXC card + about 20GB on the internal memory).  It took about 15 minutes before it was useable (I was impatient...got lots of not responding please wait messages).  However, after that, it's now back to typical responsiveness.

I did notice what I think is a new bug.  I created a new playlist with 2 albums.  When I played it, I got those 2 albums plus 2 others (different artists).  I'm not sure if it's really a bug or if I just fat-fingered it while creating the playlist (wasn't wearing my glasses...couldn't see the screen real clearly).  I'll try a few more to see if it's consistent.  Anyone else have any issues with creating playlists under the new firmware?

It also seems to run a bit hotter (temperature) than the previous version.  Not sure if that's just my imagination or reality, but it feels warmer.  Anyone else notice this?  I haven't done any battery usage comparisons between the new version and 1.2.3, so I don't know if that changed.

BTW, my setup is: DX100 + ALO The Continental (v2) + Beyerdynamic T1s - great synergy and great sound.  I travel with Shure E500 PTH (minus the stupid PTH module :) instead of the T1s - they sound great through the DX100 without the amp.

I'm still irritated about the GUI issues, but now also chilled out a bit because of the better sound. :)

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #8,485 of 13,503
Quote:
BTW, my setup is: DX100 + ALO The Continental (v2) + Beyerdynamic T1s - great synergy and great sound.  

The T1's have been popping up in my head a lot lately... You're not really helping. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #8,486 of 13,503
Man, this is sick. Admittedly I've actually not used my DX100 ins months and it's been stuck on 1.1.7 for that whole time. After today's 1.2.7 upgrade, it actually sounds better than my HP-A8 desktop DAC/Amp...and this is off my TH-900 headphones!

I'm using the DX100 as the transport in both cases, use an optical IC. Maybe the IC is bad, but I can't believe this little pocket thing is managing better than my new desktop amp (which is in turn "better" than my older Benchmark DAC1 Pre).

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #8,487 of 13,503
Quote:
I just spent a few hours listening with the new firmware.  Despite my earlier gripes re: directory browsing, I do have to say re: the sound...WOW!!  My player had 1.2.3 loaded when I received it from iBasso.  I never tried 1.1.7 because 1.2.3 sounded good to me.  I didn't know what I was missing.  The difference is VERY noticeable - I can only describe it as more detailed and engaging (and, Lee, I agree that flat EQ definitely sounds better now than before.)  My 2p worth...for those of you who have not upgraded - do it, you'll be much happier with the sound Vs version 1.2.3.

It did take a very, very long time to re-index (or whatever it had to did after the upgrade).  I have about 136GB of music loaded (116GB on the SDXC card + about 20GB on the internal memory).  It took about 15 minutes before it was useable (I was impatient...got lots of not responding please wait messages).  However, after that, it's now back to typical responsiveness.

I did notice what I think is a new bug.  I created a new playlist with 2 albums.  When I played it, I got those 2 albums plus 2 others (different artists).  I'm not sure if it's really a bug or if I just fat-fingered it while creating the playlist (wasn't wearing my glasses...couldn't see the screen real clearly).  I'll try a few more to see if it's consistent.  Anyone else have any issues with creating playlists under the new firmware?

It also seems to run a bit hotter (temperature) than the previous version.  Not sure if that's just my imagination or reality, but it feels warmer.  Anyone else notice this?  I haven't done any battery usage comparisons between the new version and 1.2.3, so I don't know if that changed.

BTW, my setup is: DX100 + ALO The Continental (v2) + Beyerdynamic T1s - great synergy and great sound.  I travel with Shure E500 PTH (minus the stupid PTH module :) instead of the T1s - they sound great through the DX100 without the amp.

I'm still irritated about the GUI issues, but now also chilled out a bit because of the better sound. :)

Figured out the playlist bug (or at least the symptom).  I have numerous "Greatest Hits" albums from different artists.  When browsing albums, it lists each Greatest Hits with the correct associated artist and the correct number of tracks.  However, when I click on ANY one of the "Greatest Hits" albums (regardless of which artists), there are 128 tracks listed (same number for EVERY one).  So, it appears to be aggregating every "Greatest Hits" set of tracks from ALL "Greatest Hits" albums for each one.  Does that make sense?

That's why I got a bunch more than the 2 albums I tried to add to that playlist.

I'm going to click the reset button and let it reset everything to see if that fixes it.  Will report back...

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #8,488 of 13,503
Quote:
Figured out the playlist bug (or at least the symptom).  I have numerous "Greatest Hits" albums from different artists.  When browsing albums, it lists each Greatest Hits with the correct associated artist and the correct number of tracks.  However, when I click on ANY one of the "Greatest Hits" albums (regardless of which artists), there are 128 tracks listed (same number for EVERY one).  So, it appears to be aggregating every "Greatest Hits" set of tracks from ALL "Greatest Hits" albums for each one.  Does that make sense?

That's why I got a bunch more than the 2 albums I tried to add to that playlist.

I'm going to click the reset button and let it reset everything to see if that fixes it.  Will report back...

I've had the same problem on every firmware. I don't use playlists though so it doesn't bother me. Let us know if the reset button fixes it though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back