iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
May 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #6,212 of 13,503
I've not had much time to yank out my DX100 recently as I've been busy with friends. However, I have to say, "Thanks a lot!" to the crowd here who got me to test my DX100 with my ALO RxMk3, I now actually find the DX100 alone -boring-! So much for my original plan of having the DX100 as my ultimate portable solution...it was until the RxMk3 came along.

Well at least, if I'm -truly- on a move, I'd use the DX100 by itself. But when I'm at a coffee shop, I can yank out my RxMk3 & hook it up together. The only gotcha (which I hope iBasso will "improve") is to have the line-out fixed. I've blasted my ear at least once when I went back from line-out to headphone mode and forgot to turn the volume back down. I think this is quite dangerous.

May 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #6,213 of 13,503
Quote:
I've not had much time to yank out my DX100 recently as I've been busy with friends. However, I have to say, "Thanks a lot!" to the crowd here who got me to test my DX100 with my ALO RxMk3, I now actually find the DX100 alone -boring-! So much for my original plan of having the DX100 as my ultimate portable solution...it was until the RxMk3 came along.

Well at least, if I'm -truly- on a move, I'd use the DX100 by itself. But when I'm at a coffee shop, I can yank out my RxMk3 & hook it up together. The only gotcha (which I hope iBasso will "improve") is to have the line-out fixed. I've blasted my ear at least once when I went back from line-out to headphone mode and forgot to turn the volume back down. I think this is quite dangerous.

The line-out part is good to know.  I'll be getting the MK3 tomorrow and the balanced adaptor friday.  Looking forward to trying it out.  

May 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #6,215 of 13,503
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyaems /img/forum/go_quote.gif
either the thread is dead or everyone is enjoying their dx100

I would assume most are listening to music. Mine works great, sounds excellent and not much else to report. The ability to use alone, with another fine amp, like my fi.Q, or the 71b, pretty much does it for me and with all the phones I own. 

May 31, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #6,216 of 13,503
I am catching up with a fellow headfier to do a comparison of the CLAS/RX3 rig versus the DX100. Both rigs are now fully burnt in with probably about 30 hours on the CLAS and over 100, I am pretty sure, on the Dx100.

I think that I a review performed by two different owners to come together with hopefully a common consensus should be interesting.

May 31, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #6,218 of 13,503
Quote:
I am catching up with a fellow headfier to do a comparison of the CLAS/RX3 rig versus the DX100. Both rigs are now fully burnt in with probably about 30 hours on the CLAS and over 100, I am pretty sure, on the Dx100.
I think that I a review performed by two different owners to come together with hopefully a common consensus should be interesting.

Yes please!  Very curious about the comparison because I'm going to invest in one of these two setups for use with my es5s.  My hunch is that because es5s seem to benefit more from a quality DAC than a quality amp due to not needing great amplification power, the dx100 will deliver better SQ for sensitive IEMs.
Curious to see if that's the case, and can't wait to read the comparison!
popcorn.gif

May 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6,219 of 13,503
headphone question if you guys wouldn't mind... at present I have a Sony WM-Z, ok it's not everyones 'cup of tea' so to speak but I will be buying a DX100 after I've seen the results of the firmware update... both DAP's are for portable use though I may use the DX100 as a source to my hi-fi... I'm not a lover of things in my ear but I am beginning to think of CIEM's but that is not for this year as I'm committed to hi-fi upgrades to my home system.

I have a budget of £300-400 ($500-650) and would prefer 'closed' on-ear headphones for the time being (I won't totally exclude iem's)... Sennheiser Amperiors are on my list but would dearly love to hear recommendations that would suit both players... my music range is 60-70's soul, bluegrass, contemporary folk & blues, a lil jazz, female & male vocal and various forms of rock (jam-bands 'live' concerts are a big part of my listening)... so any advise would be very welcomed as I'm taking a day off next week to find what I like most, correction, what appeases my ears the most.

May 31, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #6,221 of 13,503
^ +1

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #6,222 of 13,503
^^+2, but I think he mentioned some place that those were not his cup of tea, the AKG550 might be worth checking, although bigger!

AKG’s New Reference: The K550

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #6,223 of 13,503
Jun 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #6,224 of 13,503
I have been having a problem with my Tranportable DX100 and Headroom Portable Desktop Amp set up. When using the optical out with 24/192 files I have to turn the amp off and back on at the end of some song to be able to hear the next track. Not sure is this the amps problem or the DX100s. I do not have this problem with 24/96 file just 24/192 files. Anybody have any ideas, I am traveling in Europe for the next 4 weeks and don't have an other source to try to see if it is the amp or DX100.

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #6,225 of 13,503
Quote:
I have been having a problem with my Tranportable DX100 and Headroom Portable Desktop Amp set up. When using the optical out with 24/192 files I have to turn the amp off and back on at the end of some song to be able to hear the next track. Not sure is this the amps problem or the DX100s. I do not have this problem with 24/96 file just 24/192 files. Anybody have any ideas, I am traveling in Europe for the next 4 weeks and don't have an other source to try to see if it is the amp or DX100.

I thought that the optical interface is limited at 96khz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back