I2S with my NorthStar DAC
Jun 18, 2009 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

juzmister

Headphoneus Supremus
Jun 18, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 52
In most things, you get what you pay for. This unit has no power supply supplied. The quality of translation will hinge a lot on your power supply. I don't see how you could go wrong at least trying this, with a decent wall wart. Consider getting a better quality PS at a later time.

Don't forget to get the audiophile Cat5 cable.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 52
Jun 18, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 52
Great, thanks guys! Curra, that's a pain...Is it possible to buy one? Those RJ45 strands are tiny!

Also, I wonder if the I2S will be much of an improvement over the optical out from my macbook pro (unibody)?

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should work too:

CryoParts Pop Pulse USB to SPDIF Converter

Note that the Northstar has a reversed I2S connection, so you'll need to make a cable after checking the pin-outs of the socket carefully.

This sure is cheaper than EA gear, wow.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great, thanks guys! Curra, that's a pain...Is it possible to buy one? Those RJ45 strands are tiny!

Also, I wonder if the I2S will be much of an improvement over the optical out from my macbook pro (unibody)?

I've made RJ45 cables before and, indeed, the wires are a pain. You would also need to have access to the appropriate crimper to terminate the cables.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've made RJ45 cables before and, indeed, the wires are a pain. You would also need to have access to the appropriate crimper to terminate the cables.

Is it possible to purchase reversed RJ45 cables?

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Is it possible to purchase reversed RJ45 cables?

I should have been more clear- I've made CAT5 cables, which use the same RJ45 connectors. Same connector, different wiring pattern. Assuming that you can translate the standard for I2S pin assignment to match the RJ45 pins and are fairly patient, it probably wouldn't be excruciatingly difficult to make your own.
Quote:

I would save yourself the trouble of buying another device (the USB-to-I2S converter)as well as the cable you would need, and use the optical out.

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 52
I've not heard I2S fed dacs but from the technological standpoint, you are transferring register data and timing info. to the dac. I think it would sound better than either spdif/optical format.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard I2S fed dacs but from the technological standpoint, you are transferring register data and timing info. to the dac. I think it would sound better than either spdif/optical format.

Yah, it makes good sense...I wonder if it's worth the effort to make it work?

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

We'll, that's the question. From what FallenAngel has pointed out (and how you feel about upsampling) as well as bitrate control you may have in the future from the OS/software level, I wouldn't put my money on "much improvement" over I2S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back