I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impressions thread
Jul 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #526 of 1,630
Quote:
If Size is not materi OF problem , Go For HDP R10 , you wont regret it

Or ak120

AK120 is not on my budget. 1300 euros vs 700 euro (importing R10 costs roughly 700 euro) is quite a big difference. I am purchasing Spiral Ear SE5way, they confirmed that my ears are big enough so I won't have any money for the moment, I am hoping to purchase R10 around X-mas, Until then, I am really hoping they release that promised update. That delay at the beginning of the song shouldn't be a big issue but if they remove that pop noise, that would make a difference. Again, I don't think something will come better at this price, so yeah probably I am gonna import it. Through pricejapan.com, I read that they are quite reliable.

So let's start to save money and cut from everything else, again. Damn head-fi, you are ruining my wallet.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #529 of 1,630
Quote:
If Size is not materi OF problem , Go For HDP R10 , you wont regret it

I'm considering the HDP-R10, but I'm concerned about its reliability, especially since iBasso isn't supporting it. I live in the U.S., so what would I do if my unit malfunctioned? I'm certainly not thrilled with the idea of a $900 paperweight.

Thanks,
Brian

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #530 of 1,630
Quote:

I'm considering the HDP-R10, but I'm concerned about its reliability, especially since iBasso isn't supporting it. I live in the U.S., so what would I do if my unit malfunctioned? I'm certainly not thrilled with the idea of a $900 paperweight.

Thanks,
Brian

Buy from a reliable company like Amazon JP or PriceJapan and they will fix it for you. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #532 of 1,630
Quote:

Thanks,
Brian

I am glad that you brought this up so I wont need to start a thread about it.

My recently purchased (21 June on Amazon.jp) HDP-R10 has stopped working. Despite I attempted every possible solutions that I could think of, it wont turn on,totally bricked. Hibino emphaszied more than 3 times that I must not return the player to them directly but through Amazon. However Amazon does not repair/send any products on behalf of customers, all they can do is either Refund or Replacement.
I chose a full refund at the end because HDPR10 is currently out of stock on Amazon and they agreed to pay the postage from my country to Japan.

Unless you travel frequent enough to Japan, you may want to consider Dx100 as it supports customers internationally.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #533 of 1,630
Quote:

I am glad that you brought this up so I wont need to start a thread about it.

My recently purchased (21 June on Amazon.jp) HDP-R10 has stopped working. Despite I attempted every possible solutions that I could think of, it wont turn on,totally bricked. Hibino emphaszied more than 3 times that I must not return the player to them directly but through Amazon. However Amazon does not repair/send any products on behalf of customers, all they can do is either Refund or Replacement.
I chose a full refund at the end because HDPR10 is currently out of stock on Amazon and they agreed to pay the postage from my country to Japan.

Unless you travel frequent enough to Japan, you may want to consider Dx100 as it supports customers internationally.

Wow's that is not good man. Sorry to hear that troubles and of course it has an effect on possible customers too, like me.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #534 of 1,630
Quote:
Wow's that is not good man. Sorry to hear that troubles and of course it has an effect on possible customers too, like me.

I knew it would not be easy claiming the warranty before I made the purchase, but it was still out of expectation & imagination. Beside, if you still insist to acquire a HDP-R10 from Amazon, check everyday for the availability and perharps, a "lightning deal" too. lightning deals are usually 24hrs deals that offer amazing discount for selected items. I was lucky enough (Indeed I asked them about a lightning deal of R10 few days before it appeared on the site, but I dont know if my enquiry did anything about that) to purchase my HDP-R10 when it was on sales (30% OFF!) 

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #536 of 1,630
Quote:
Buy from a reliable company like Amazon JP or PriceJapan and they will fix it for you. 

Quote:
. . . Amazon does not repair/send any products on behalf of customers, all they can do is either Refund or Replacement.

You're probably fortunate your unit stopped working so soon; if a problem had occurred later, Amazon likely wouldn't have let you return it.

As for PriceJapan, their site says,

Quote:
Warranty is valid only in Japan for 1 year. It is not valid in your country. International warranty or more than 1 year warranty will NOT be applied. When machines need warrant repair, you should send machines to makers in Japan, via us.

Say what!? I think I understand what they mean--or do I? Regardless, it seems an awful hassle for a model whose most significant differentiation is better battery life.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #537 of 1,630
Quote:
Say what!? I think I understand what they mean--or do I? Regardless, it seems an awful hassle for a model whose most significant differentiation is better battery life.

Actually, no I don't believe that's the reason why the HDP-R10 is popular over the DX100. I believe the primary reason is that those who have heard both seem to feel the HDP-R10 sounds better than the DX100 counterpart. Whether that's due to the OPA627 OpAmp or something in the firmware, that's not clear.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #538 of 1,630
I've been using the HDP-R10 for a few days now. Very impressed. Coming from iMod 5g + 2Stepdance, the increase in SQ is substantial. Indeed, it's the most significant increase I've yet experienced from a source upgrade.

The two biggest differences that stand out are the increase in resolution, and an increase in all proportions of soundstage (particularly depth). Everything is just so much more refined.

Initially, I thought it sounded a little warm... but after a little brain burn in, I realized that it was just used to the iMod, which was a little cold. Still, the mids are lush sweet for sure. I also detected an increase SQ wise when upgrading the firmware to 8.02 

@rudi0504: One thing I am unclear on, is your description of the benefits of an external amp vs headphone out. You described the latter as double amping, as oppose to sound coming straight from the DAC. I can't understand how using the HDP-10's internal amp would be any different to using an external amp (unless of course, the external amp was superior). Either way, sound goes from DAC to amp to IEM i.e. using the internal amp is not double amping. Please correct me if I've misunderstood, or am missing something here.

Talking of external amps - and I direct this at anyone with insight / knowledge - I've noticed that Average_Joe has been using the Portaphile 627 with his DX100. The HDP-R10, of course, uses the same OPA627 as the Portaphile. I'm not sure how many OPA627s the HDP-R10 uses, but know that the Portaphile uses three. Would this mean sonic superiority on the Portaphiles part vs the HDP-R10s internal amp? I imagine there are a host of other factors which I'm failing to take into consideration... but ask purely out of curiosity - I have no intentions of getting an external amp.       

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #539 of 1,630
Quote:
I believe the primary reason is that those who have heard both seem to feel the HDP-R10 sounds better than the DX100 counterpart.

Yes, I've seen many comments to that effect, and the lure of better fidelity is a factor in my thinking. Yet I've also read posts from users who've compared the two players' audio quality side-by-side, and those folks report they couldn't tell them apart. I suspect there is little difference between them, at least in terms of sound quality. However, the difference in battery life is real, and it's not trivial.

Thanks,
Brian

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #540 of 1,630
Yes, I've seen many comments to that effect, and the lure of better fidelity is a factor in my thinking. Yet I've also read posts from users who've compared the two players' audio quality side-by-side, and those folks report they couldn't tell them apart. I suspect there is little difference between them, at least in terms of sound quality. However, the difference in battery life is real, and it's not trivial.

Thanks,
Brian
I hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back