Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 24, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #16,231 of 18,560
I was sloppy…it indeed is the TT2 that I have, not the TT, and it will be driven by my M-Scaler when it arrives.

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #16,232 of 18,560
I was sloppy…it indeed is the TT2 that I have, not the TT, and it will be driven by my M-Scaler when it arrives.
I think @ruthieandjohn, that you’ll be exceedingly happy with your choice of a TT2 DAC and the M Scaler.

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #16,234 of 18,560
I’ve just ordered another (third) Poweroak/Maxoak battery for my Ether Regen. My TT2 and M scaler are both powered by the Poweroaks, with very pleasing results, IMO definitely better than the stock ones. Has anybody else used battery power to supply their ER? And what did think of the resulting sound?
TIA
Mal
What Poweroak models are you using? I have some Poweradd battery packs (now almost impossible to find anywhere) which I use with my OPTO.DX modules, my modem/router and also did at one time use with my M Scaler. The Poweradd noticeably improved over the stock smps with the MSc, but I now prefer a Paul Hynes SR5T lps powering that.

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #16,235 of 18,560
I now prefer a Paul Hynes SR5T lps
As these are no longer made they seem to be as rare as hens teeth or rocking horse poo.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #16,237 of 18,560
Sep 2, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #16,239 of 18,560
Why you selling?

Because I am moving away from headphones and going for a loudspeaker set-up which are actives (Dutch & Dutch 8c); these actives convert inputs back into digital so having the TT2/Mscaler would have no effect. Also selling my Focal Utopias. The 8c's are expensive so have no choice but to sell my headphone set-up to move towards loudspeakers.

Sep 3, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #16,240 of 18,560
Because I am moving away from headphones and going for a loudspeaker set-up which are actives (Dutch & Dutch 8c); these actives convert inputs back into digital so having the TT2/Mscaler would have no effect. Also selling my Focal Utopias. The 8c's are expensive so have no choice but to sell my headphone set-up to move towards loudspeakers.
I did speak to one D&D dealer and he said that bizarrely he got the best sound from the 8C when feeding them the analogue output from a Dave. I can think of no reason for why this might have been and only mention it out of curiosity.

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #16,241 of 18,560
I did speak to one D&D dealer and he said that bizarrely he got the best sound from the 8C when feeding them the analogue output from a Dave. I can think of no reason for why this might have been and only mention it out of curiosity.

No, I would say that's not possible. The Dutch & Dutch use the TI PCM4104 and PCM4202 for DAC and ADC respectively. The PCM4202 is configured to digitize analogue input at 48kHz. Anything the Chord does has been in vain. More importantly however, there is no way I can afford the 8c's without the sale of my headphone system unfortunately.

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #16,243 of 18,560
No, I would say that's not possible. The Dutch & Dutch use the TI PCM4104 and PCM4202 for DAC and ADC respectively. The PCM4202 is configured to digitize analogue input at 48kHz. Anything the Chord does has been in vain. More importantly however, there is no way I can afford the 8c's without the sale of my headphone system unfortunately.
They can be fed a digital signal directly, or it can be streamed as they are a Roon endpoint, no need for for any A/D stage. If the analogue ouput from the DAVE sounds different when fed to the analogue input of the D&Ds, that implies that either the DAVE or the PCM4202 is not transparent,

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #16,244 of 18,560
They can be fed a digital signal directly, or it can be streamed as they are a Roon endpoint, no need for for any A/D stage. If the analogue ouput from the DAVE sounds different when fed to the analogue input of the D&Ds, that implies that either the DAVE or the PCM4202 is not transparent,

Yep, I intend on using a direct digital feed to the 8c's, as a Roon endpoint.

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #16,245 of 18,560
When I feed the M Scaler via USB, I have no issues. Whenever I feed it via optical or bnc from my pi2aes, any time I switch sample rates, there is a second or so of weird glitching. This seems to be independent of output sample rate as well. This doesn't occur when I feed the bnc or optical from the pi2aes directly into my Dave, just the M Scaler into the Dave.

Does anyone else experience this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back