How many songs do you have in your music library?
Jul 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #451 of 615
Quote:

My CD collection used to be a complete mess. Stacks and stacks of jewel cases. I don't keep my media files in RAID or anything, because the CDs are my 'backup,' but after having two of them die, I realized it was time to make the CD end of things less of a pain. Almost finished getting rid of all of my jewel cases, ~1,000 CDs that used to take up numerous copy paper boxes, bookshelves, stacks on the floor, whatever, are now alphabetized in Tyvek sleeves in a handful of compact boxes. This makes me far more comfortable in keeping my iTunes library (as well as files not in my library) pared down and relevant. Keeping my iTunes library cut down in size a bit also makes it far easier to navigate the albums list when syncing to my phone.

i've gone the opposite route...i keep a server for actual use (flac and mp3) plus multiple backups (flac), and immediately sell my CD's after they are ripped (or just get the digital copy to start with from itunes or whatever).  i don't have actual physical space for all my albums to be in any physical format.   at this point i'm pretty confident in my system, and i've probably paid for most of my storage drives by selling all my physical copies.  it is so easy to manage a collection electronically!

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #452 of 615

98% Lossless FLAC/ALAC/APE/WAV

It's taken a long time to get to this point.

L3000.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #453 of 615
Quote:

My CD collection used to be a complete mess. Stacks and stacks of jewel cases. I don't keep my media files in RAID or anything, because the CDs are my 'backup,' but after having two of them die, I realized it was time to make the CD end of things less of a pain. Almost finished getting rid of all of my jewel cases, ~1,000 CDs that used to take up numerous copy paper boxes, bookshelves, stacks on the floor, whatever, are now alphabetized in Tyvek sleeves in a handful of compact boxes. This makes me far more comfortable in keeping my iTunes library (as well as files not in my library) pared down and relevant. Keeping my iTunes library cut down in size a bit also makes it far easier to navigate the albums list when syncing to my phone.

So where do you store you album artwork and sleeves? I love those and would hate to throw them away along with the package.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #455 of 615
Quote:
So where do you store you album artwork and sleeves? I love those and would hate to throw them away along with the package.

Normal sized booklets fit just fine in front of the disc in the Tyvek sleeve. The window on these sleeves is circular, so it's not necessarily ideal, but it keeps the booklet with the disc and makes identification much easier. Some oversized booklets fit inside the sleeve, but stick out the top, though not enough to interfere with the lid on the box (cardboard boxes from sleevecity (not affiliated)) - for these I've tucked the flap inside the sleeve and just let the booklet stick out. I removed all tray cards and folded them flat and stored them separately - this takes more space of course, but still considerably less than jewel cases, and they're able to be stored separately, in a less convenient spot, etc... I more kept those for the sake of any future resale. Digipaks (and box sets and similar) I've handled similarly, and this is the one real inefficiency - a big ol' box of Digipaks. The CDs themselves are still in Tyvek sleeves in my main little boxes, but the empty Digipaks are boxed up in storage. Again, this takes more space, but with so comparatively few Digipaks vs. jewel cases, the net gain in space is still enormous. Finally anything that was in a paper/cardboard sleeve I left in its original sleeve, but moved to the box. Cardboard sleeves take more space in the box than the Tyvek sleeves do, but it's of little concern. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #457 of 615
Jul 27, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #458 of 615
I've got a whopping 1665 songs in my library. That's ridiculous, I know........
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #460 of 615
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #462 of 615

21497 FLAC

3083 MP3 (Random folder)

1476 MP4 (.m4a) (Random folder)

13472 is Classical music. Half of everything.

A lot of the other half is Rock, mostly Classic Rock.

2265, 6.4 days, 8.67 GB on iTunes.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #464 of 615
For my 24/96, 24/192 and SACD collection I have 650 GBS of music (6021 Files, 834 Folders)

For my FLAC collection I have 821 GBs of music (41,799 Files, 3,726 Folders).

For my mp3 files I have 152 GBs (38,704 Files, 4181 Folders).

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #465 of 615
For my 24/96, 24/192 and SACD collection I have 650 GBS of music (6021 Files, 834 Folders)

For my FLAC collection I have 821 GBs of music (41,799 Files, 3,726 Folders).

For my mp3 files I have 152 GBs (38,704 Files, 4181 Folders).

Good lord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back