How many songs do you have in your music library?
Nov 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #601 of 615
  approximately 460,000 tracks (approximately 95% 16bit/44.1kHz flac, except as noted below, with the balance being high bit rate mp3, all tracks are fully tagged and yes there are some doubles but sorting that out is a chore I'm not about to undertake)

approximately 34,900 albums (with multi disc sets stored as one album, as in for disc one the tracks are numbered 101, 102, etc.)

approximately  2,500 24bit/88.2kHz or 24bit/96kHz albums (flac and most of which are "doubles" of 16bit/44.1kHz albums)

approximately 22,330 artists (Note: due to legal restrictions there is no Taylor Swift in my collection.)

Main genres:
Jazz - aprox. 21,000 albums (what can I say I really love jazz)
Rock - approx. 6,500 albums
Classical - approx. 2500 albums

total playing time 39697 hours = 1654 days = 4 years, 6 months and 12 days

14.5 TB total storage:
two 5 bay Drobos each with 5 X 2TB drives plus one stand alone 3TB external hard drive (all fully backed up with mirrored drives) plus another stand alone 3TB external hard drive ready to be added.

Media server: Logitech Media Server 7.9

Official Logitech Media Server Library Statistics:
Total Tracks: 460,158
Total Albums: 34,893
Total Artists: 32,322
Total Genres: 218
Total Playing Time: 39696:58:41

Music is streamed via a dedicated desktop computer running Logitech Media Server 7.9 to 7 Squeezebox devices, one iPad and one Nook tablet.

Other software used in maintaining music library:
ripping and converting: dbPowerAmp
artwork: FastStone Image Viewer
renaming: Renamer 6.0
tagging: Mp3tag 2.65a
cue splitter: Medieval CUE Splitter 1.2
Miscellaneous: Foobar 2000 (one always needs Foobar)

Personal data: just shy of 60 years old, retired (how the hell else would I have the time to manage such a monster of a music library?) and a jazz fan and listener for over 40 years, please check out my jazz recommendations in the "On a mission to like jazz" thread in the music section of the forum (http://www.head-fi.org/t/693212/on-a-mission-to-like-jazz)
I try to justify my ridiculous music collection by saying that my taste for jazz is not being served by either radio or streaming services and even paid streaming services fall short of being able to provide a lot of the avant-garde and free jazz that I listen to.

Thanks for all that! Also, I'd wondered at how much time people have been listening. I've listened to so many albums just once or twice, and only one about 100 times.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #602 of 615
I keep my library trimmed to 2500-3000 songs at any time. If I haven't listed to something for ages it gets cut to make space for new stuff. All of it is a minimum of 256Kbps VBR MP3, up to 24/96 ALAC.

Given I like Prog Rock, though, most of those 2500 tracks are >10min long, many >20mins long, so they make up for total listening time :)

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #603 of 615

Thanks for all that! Also, I'd wondered at how much time people have been listening. I've listened to so many albums just once or twice, and only one about 100 times.

If you want to see my listening habits just check out my last.fm page. The link is in my signature below.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #606 of 615
Nearly 50,000 songs and every single track has been listened to at some point, somewhere (I even listen to new remasters/reissues again when they replace older copies). It's only stuff I absolutely love and I'm actually quite picky, but there's an endless amount of great music out there, particularly in today's modern indie-scene. For example, I listened to over 300 new albums this year (mostly due to great reviews) and over a whopping 100 actually made it to my library. I've also been collecting physical copies (vinyl/cassettes) of every new album/EP release that makes it to my library from 2013-onward. There's a few sold-out tapes and expensive vinyls that are M.I.A. but otherwise it's a nice collection and the primary way I listen to all of that material. 

I also don't double dip, so I only would have a compilation for an artist whose albums it covers I'm not that into (say, Brenda Lee, for example). So there's basically no duplicates and any spare-tracks from compilations or occasional choice favorites from albums I didn't love are tagged under the album title Z - (Artist Name). I also have probably under 10 live albums in the collection as I only really do studio material, so something like Nirvana Unplugged makes the library because of all the unique tracks it features that weren't on their studio albums. 

My music basically spans the Rock Era and its predecessors. Robert Johnson and Woody Guthrie. The Beatles and The Zombies. Public Enemy and The Smiths. The National and Neko Case, etc. I consider this group of music to symbolize a rebellion in art and it encompasses everything from hip-hop to lo-fi to metal, etc. In other words, I have no use for classical or Jazz that didn't crossover into rock territory or bland pop/country, etc. 

Collection is entirely 128 MP3. Listenable enough for me without cringing, I consider it to be the floor for music and down-converted everything via iTunes (occasionally a two-step process was used to go FLAC > MP3 to 128 MP3). With modern storage space improving and my plans to purchase a Hi-Def DAP soon, I'm considering to keep every release I add to my library from 2015 on (both new stuff and reissued material) in at least FLAC and 24-Bit whenever available.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #607 of 615
..... My music basically spans the Rock Era and its predecessors. Robert Johnson and Woody Guthrie. The Beatles and The Zombies. Public Enemy and The Smiths. The National and Neko Case, etc. I consider this group of music to symbolize a rebellion in art and it encompasses everything from hip-hop to lo-fi to metal, etc. In other words, I have no use for classical or Jazz that didn't crossover into rock territory or bland pop/country, etc. ...

I won't comment on your use of mp3 since if they work for you that is all that is important. However I have a slight issue with the statement quoted above. What musicians are more on the outside of the music business looking in then modern day avant-garde jazz and classical musicians? If living in near poverty and more often than not having to work in a non-musical job to support your music isn't the height of rebellion than I don't know what is.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #608 of 615
I agree with your statements...I just don't feel like people who work in either of those two genres really ever think of Duane Eddy or Aerosmith or Otis Redding when they start recording...it's an entirely different lineage/history, but yes, it doesn't mean it can't fit the umbrella of rebellious art. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #609 of 615
11668 track, but they're not all unique, some duplicates. Totals ~80gb in varying quality. I haven't been expanding my library much lately since I mostly use Spotify to stream new music I've found.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #614 of 615
Whole library: 11807 songs, 218GB
FLACs: 5278 songs, 163GB

MP3's are mostly V0 or 320. Some soundtracks especially from older games are of lower bitrate. I also have all the FLACs converted to V0 for mobile use.

File size does not matter on desktop. Hard drive space is so plentiful now. It only sucks to have them all as V0's for mobile use. It's a nightmare to manage. When moving to mobile device. "oh remember that one album you couldn't find as flac. It's not in the V0 folders, you dummy". I need to think of some better way organizing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back