How Large is Your Music Collection?
Mar 23, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #31 of 75
I have around 5 -6 tg of ape files and flac only. mostly classical jazz and chinese classsical music which I download off net for 4 years and my collection still going strong ( around 5 gig a day)

Mar 23, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #33 of 75
Man, I thought I was doin pretty good with 35gb and about 450 records. Good thing I'm only 22, I got some catchin up to do.

Imagine reading this as an RIAA exec... oh... and if there are any reading... I'll copy this music to whoever'll take it and if you dont like you can SHOVE IT UP YOUR [censored].

Mar 23, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtcheapii
I have around 5 -6 tg of ape files and flac only. mostly classical jazz and chinese classsical music which I download off next for 4 years and my collection still going strong ( around 5 gig a day)

Do you mean 5-6 TiB? 5 GiB/day. Oh my god! I used to download that or more in video content per day when I had a 3Mbps Comcast Cable connection, and I still haven't watched most of the video. You are going to need several lifetimes to listen to all that! Well maybe not. What is the data rate of APE & FLAC files?

CD quality PCM audio is 172 KiBps which gives 10.1 MiB/min. or 14.2 GiB/day.
128 kbps MP3 audio is 16 KiBps which equates to 0.938 MiB/min. or 1.32 GiB/day.

Mar 23, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
Man, I thought I was doin pretty good with 35gb and about 450 records. Good thing I'm only 22, I got some catchin up to do.

Imagine reading this as an RIAA exec... oh... and if there are any reading... I'll copy this music to whoever'll take it and if you dont like you can SHOVE IT UP YOUR [censored].

I think they aren't going to be as mad now that Napster To Go is letting people have all the music they want. Now you can have 1 TiB of 128 kbps WMA audio files & it be legal.

Mar 23, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #36 of 75
iv got

2962 songs which is 7.3 days, and 13.24gig

my collection grows by about a cd a day (download). I only buy about 10 cds a year.

Mar 23, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 75
Another thing. I just ead something at Google News about an IFPI report on music sales last year. It was stated in the article that the UK was the most prolific CD purchaser in the world with the average UKer picking up 3.2 CDs per annum! Those UK bitches* don't have shiznit on Head-Fiers!

* - meant as a dramatic impact not as an insult.

Mar 23, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #38 of 75
iTunes sais I have 150,69GB, 6487 Tracks (6147 of which are in ALAC) in 486 albums. Plus 2 DVD-As. But then I just blew another €70 on amazon today...

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Do you mean 5-6 TiB? 5 GiB/day. Oh my god! I used to download that or more in video content per day when I had a 3Mbps Comcast Cable connection, and I still haven't watched most of the video. You are going to need several lifetimes to listen to all that! Well maybe not. What is the data rate of APE & FLAC files?

CD quality PCM audio is 172 KiBps which gives 10.1 MiB/min. or 14.2 GiB/day.
128 kbps MP3 audio is 16 KiBps which equates to 0.938 MiB/min. or 1.32 GiB/day.

well for ape file everage bit rate are 550-650kbps and flac are 700-800kbps just depend what kind of music. I have save it 8x100 dvdr- and three 250gig external drive. my main drive are only 160 gig

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 75
Man i cant afford that many CD's! Where's the best place for me to buy CD's, im a poor unemployed high school student so i dont have too many actaul CD's except for music that i just really love to death. I dont mind buying online just as long as the seller is reputable, has a good selection, and is cheap.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #41 of 75
Pretty off-topic, but for the people with 30+ hours of music, do you actually listen to most of these tracks regularly and would you be able to recognize the majority of them, or do you still have so many tracks on your computers because your hard drives are big enough so that there is no reason to delete them as of now? I am curious because right now I have a very small music collection that I know very well, and am curious if as people get more music do they stay familiar with it, or only stay familiar with a (relatively) small portion of it?

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #42 of 75
20+ gigs of digital audio (unfortunatly most of it is 128 but thats slowly changing)

i am very familar with most of my music collection, i spend about 6 hours a day listening to it (not including when i sleep). i can name most of it within 30 sec and i drive my friends nut because i sing along with most songs on the radio/tv. there are a few that i havent heard (every album has its bad tracks) but i usually keep them just for the sake of having the entire album (todays comps/DAPs have plenty of room so why not?)

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #45 of 75
I have > 250 CDs now, and about 3500 songs on my computer. Radiohead makes up about 200 of those songs, for both Blur and The Tragically Hip I have about 150, Nine Inch Nails just short of 100- similar for the Cure and probably about 85-90 for sloan.

I'm in the process of trying to imrpve my classic rock and classical music collection..
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a good hobby!

Cheers,
Clutz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back