HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #331 of 902
Can't you just get a "universal" charger that allows you to slide the contacts back and forth? Something like this? 
confused.gif

No luck. Many users are waiting for one and there were chinese forum members trying to get a factory to custom make one but nothing came out of it yet...

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #332 of 902
Quote:
No luck. Many users are waiting for one and there were chinese forum members trying to get a factory to custom make one but nothing came out of it yet...

Man that's strange... you mind sending a pic of the battery contacts? Long shot, but i might be able to find something.

/fingers crossed

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #333 of 902
Will post to the 901 thread and lets not get this re600 thread derailed too much.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #334 of 902
Quote:
Will post to the 901 thread and lets not get this re600 thread derailed too much.

Thanks, I appreciate it

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #335 of 902
Can RE-600 be re-cabled so to replace the need for that unbalanced conversion cable (re-cabled by either hifiman or third party)? 
I especially can't stand the stupid balanced->unbalanced cable - that must be the dumbest decision ever to make that solution the default for most phones - they should have just offered two separate standalone cables that plug into the phones themselves if they are so obsessed with having to offer balanced (between that conversion cable and the main cable they get tangled up in my pocket so much that I don't think they are going to last much longer - the sound is already starting to cut in/out after only a month of use!).

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #336 of 902
Can RE-600 be re-cabled so to replace the need for that unbalanced conversion cable (re-cabled by either hifiman or third party)? 
I especially can't stand the stupid balanced->unbalanced cable - that must be the dumbest decision ever to make that solution the default for most phones - they should have just offered two separate standalone cables that plug into the phones themselves if they are so obsessed with having to offer balanced (between that conversion cable and the main cable they get tangled up in my pocket so much that I don't think they are going to last much longer - the sound is already starting to cut in/out after only a month of use!).

I think they were made with the balanced cable so that they can be used with the hm-901 w/ balanced amp card.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #337 of 902
Quote:
I think they were made with the balanced cable so that they can be used with the hm-901 w/ balanced amp card.

He's asking if it can be recabled so it won't be balanced anymore, wishing HiFiMan made two models, one for balanced out, one for everyone else (without the need to use the adapter). 

_________

Of course it can be recabled, you'd just have to rewire and resolder...  And find someone willing to do it :wink:  It'll void warranty though (obviously). 

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #338 of 902
Quote:

They were. It's even mentioned in the manual.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #339 of 902
Quote:

He's asking if it can be recabled so it won't be balanced anymore, wishing HiFiMan made two models, one for balanced out, one for everyone else (without the need to use the adapter). 

_________

Of course it can be recabled, you'd just have to rewire and resolder...  And find someone willing to do it :wink:  It'll void warranty though (obviously). 

Thanks - yes, that's exactly what I'm asking (and I don't trust myself to rewire and resolder so was curious if there may be someone out there who is known to offer this service for hifiman earphones).
By the way, I very much like the SQ on RE-600 and would like to stay with them, but the original cables are absolute joke as far as I'm concerned.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #340 of 902
Quote:

Thanks - yes, that's exactly what I'm asking (and I don't trust myself to rewire and resolder so was curious if there may be someone out there who is known to offer this service for hifiman earphones).
By the way, I very much like the SQ on RE-600 and would like to stay with them, but the original cables are absolute joke as far as I'm concerned.

Are you talking about the build quality of the cable.  Especially the upper side above the Y-split?  Hopefully the issues that happened iwth the RE-400 don't repeat themselves.  I'm sure there'll be someone willing to recable.  If you do find someone, also ask if they know how to install something that can be removeable so if the cable ever does go, you can replace it if it goes bad :wink: 

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #341 of 902
Quote:

Are you talking about the build quality of the cable.  Especially the upper side above the Y-split?  Hopefully the issues that happened iwth the RE-400 don't repeat themselves.  I'm sure there'll be someone willing to recable.  If you do find someone, also ask if they know how to install something that can be removeable so if the cable ever does go, you can replace it if it goes bad :wink: 

Perhaps Moon Audio could do this? I know they do with other IEMs.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #343 of 902
Quote:

I'm not sure if this is best described as issue around build quality or design (or most likely both). The problem is that both cables are twisting/kinking  (not sure what the right terminology is) right above the plug (very close to where each cable enters the plug - main cable plug is straight and extension cable has weird angle halfway between straight and L - but the same thing happens to both cables right above their plugs). The problem is that every time I pull my device out of my pocket after I'm done listening one or both of the cables are twisted at those spots (and today I even noticed some cutting in/out of sound even as I gently move the cables so I"m suspecting one or both of those are the reason). Very annoying and horrible design as far as I'm concerned (if they wanted to make a special version specifically only for HF901 balanced that would have been much better) - but this makes it much more difficult to use with every other unbalanced device (which is the huge majority of devices) so this makes no sense to me.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #344 of 902
Quote:

^^ @tgdinamo This may answer your question :wink: ^^

Thanks to both you and brunk - I will contact them and look into it (I'm slightly worried that probably most of the time they handle unbalanced cables only and this is somewhat more specialized scenario - but it's worth checking to see how confident they are that they can handle this.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #345 of 902
Quote:

I'm not sure if this is best described as issue around build quality or design (or most likely both). The problem is that both cables are twisting/kinking  (not sure what the right terminology is) right above the plug (very close to where each cable enters the plug - main cable plug is straight and extension cable has weird angle halfway between straight and L - but the same thing happens to both cables right above their plugs). The problem is that every time I pull my device out of my pocket after I'm done listening one or both of the cables are twisted at those spots (and today I even noticed some cutting in/out of sound even as I gently move the cables so I"m suspecting one or both of those are the reason). Very annoying and horrible design as far as I'm concerned (if they wanted to make a special version specifically only for HF901 balanced that would have been much better) - but this makes it much more difficult to use with every other unbalanced device (which is the huge majority of devices) so this makes no sense to me.

When you pull out the cable, pull out using the base of the headphone jack, don't pull on any cables or you'll damage it (regardless of what kind of cable it is).  This is the only thing I can think of that'll cause the kink.  If you're not using balanced output, there is no reason to unplug the adapter at any point, even for storage, leave it plugged in (I'm sure you don't do this, but just in case). 

Keep in mind that all cables do have a natural twist in them, that's why when you wind up the cables using the over-under method. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back