HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Aug 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #361 of 902
The HM801-> RE600 balanced combo is stunning as well. Ron's recommendations have never let me down, and these have a very organic sound (as does most of hifiman's products), a deep and impactful bass that is not muddy, and great treble energy that really left me stunned. I can see why some people call this warm and others call this bright. The fact is that both the bass and treble are outstanding in their depth and quality. And Ron is right- there is zero veil here. I was expecting something similar to the 252s I already own but frankly these aim much higher. They don't aim to sound good- they aim to sound great.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #363 of 902
Does the RE600 sound similar to the Grado GR10?  I auditioned the GR10 for a couple of weeks, then decided to return it because it sounded too timid.  Maybe "polite" would be a better word to describe the sound.  The GR10 seemed to hold back on the bass, mids and highs, especially the bass.  I ended up buying/keeping the Heir 4ai because I got tired of waiting for the RE600 to be released.  This was last spring.  Overall I like the 4ai but now that the RE600 has been released, I'm beginning to wonder if I should have waited for the RE600.  

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #364 of 902
Quote:
Does the RE600 sound similar to the Grado GR10?  I auditioned the GR10 for a couple of weeks, then decided to return it because it sounded too timid.  Maybe "polite" would be a better word to describe the sound.  The GR10 seemed to hold back on the bass, mids and highs, especially the bass.  I ended up buying/keeping the Heir 4ai because I got tired of waiting for the RE600 to be released.  This was last spring.  Overall I like the 4ai but now that the RE600 has been released, I'm beginning to wonder if I should have waited for the RE600.  

I personally don't feel that the RE-600 holds back on the bass at all.  It's not a bassy IEM and is not as warm as the 4.Ai, the RE-600 is closer to neutral, but not neutral (RE-400 is more neutral than the RE-600).  With that said, you'll see overall improvements going from the 4.Ai to RE-600 in both the mids and treble, but it's a wash in the bass (the 4.Ai's boosted bass is really beautiful in its own way). 

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #365 of 902
Just received my RE-600 and just burning them in. (Very impressive packaging, by the way!) Totally agree with the cable noise disappearing when wearing them over the ear. First impressions of SQ very positive. Playing from Macbook Pro via USB to FiiO 17. Wav files ripped from CD. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #366 of 902
a comparison with the RE-272 would be most welcome

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #370 of 902
Will this cable survive a clash with the doors? Seriously, RE-400 were extremely good, except this point. Cable broke below the mid split in an accident.

It's the same cable. The only thing I found was that the strain relief coming out of the housings of the RE-600 aren't as stiff as the ones on the RE-400.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #371 of 902
Quote:
Will this cable survive a clash with the doors? Seriously, RE-400 were extremely good, except this point. Cable broke below the mid split in an accident.

I have never had any other hifiman headphones before RE-600, but as far as I'm concerned the cable on RE-600 is unfortunately the worst I have ever had on any iem.
The extension cable (balance->unbalanced) already broke (due to kinking), and the main cable is not far from it. And all this without clash with  doors or anything else - just regular use where I typically have my Tera player in my pocket and the part of the cable that is inside the pocket is kinking like crazy no matter what I do or how careful I try to be (always at same 2 spots - which soon enough get worn out enough to stop working). I'm having my main cable re-terminated by Moon Audio to get rid of the need for the extension conversion balanced->unbalanced cable - maybe that will help - we will see after I get the phones back.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #372 of 902
It's the same cable. The only thing I found was that the strain relief coming out of the housings of the RE-600 aren't as stiff as the ones on the RE-400.

According to HiFiMan, the RE-600 uses a different cable than the RE-400. This was posted earlier in the thread. The RE-400 uses an OFC copper cable while the RE-600 uses a hybrid copper/silver cable.

..."Some of the key features of the two new headphone products include an emphasis on ergonomics to better ensure the user’s comfort over long periods of use, as well as custom-designed, 8.5mm Neodymium drivers with titanium coatings (the driver in the RE-600 is patent pending); oxygen-free copper cables on the RE-400, and hybrid copper/silver cables on the RE-600 headphones".......

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #373 of 902
Quote:
According to HiFiMan, the RE600 uses a different cable than the RE400. This was posted earlier in the thread. The RE400 uses an OFC copper cable while the RE600 uses a hybrid copper/silver cable.

I think he was referring to the external shell and materials.  Not the actual internals.  Specifically, he was asking if it'll survive being caught between doors.  I don't feel that this IEM would survive that, I don't think a pair of Westone Cables would either. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #374 of 902
Quote:

I think he was referring to the external shell and materials.  Not the actual internals.  Specifically, he was asking if it'll survive being caught between doors.  I don't feel that this IEM would survive that, I don't think a pair of Westone Cables would either. 

Yup the wires are difference but the built are very similar and unfortunately the weakest point of this otherwise excellent IEM.  The kinks are really very easy to form and they contribute to breaking the shell and I've seen a few users needed to get it replaced by Hifiman.  The trrs to trs convert is especially susceptible to have its shell broken.  Someone need to make better trrs to trs converter soon as I wasn't able to find any.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #375 of 902
Quote:

Yup the wires are difference but the built are very similar and unfortunately the weakest point of this otherwise excellent IEM.  The kinks are really very easy to form and they contribute to breaking the shell and I've seen a few users needed to get it replaced by Hifiman.  The trrs to trs convert is especially susceptible to have its shell broken.  Someone need to make better trrs to trs converter soon as I wasn't able to find any.

You can make your own for a few bucks. The TRRS is the same type that's on iphone earbuds and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back