HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 15, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #301 of 1,779

Quote:
Yes but I've heard people pay 350-400 $ in total for the LCD's shipping/customs/tax.To sweden that is. I assume it's cheaper from China to Europe, like 150 in total or so.

Hmm.. HE-500 is a bit lighter than LCD2. I've tried LCD2 for some time and they are really heavy. Is the comfort of HE-500 good? I have a comparatively big head(but a very small but very efficient brain)

Thanks

The HE-500 is pretty comfortable. I have a big head so I had to push the band all the way up to prevent the sides from digging into my head. The earpads are big and do not touch your ears which is what I like. 

May 15, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #302 of 1,779
The T1 is basically a MUCH better DT880. It's probably the only headphone I haven't juxtaposed with the HE-500. From my memory, I think they have a very similar sound signature to the HE headphones.

I had a feeling the T1 and HEs would have somewhat of a similar sound. I was considering the T1 before I heard about the HE4. Now I have owned both the 880s and HE4 and found them to have a pretty distinct resemblance, I'd wanna hear how the HE4 compares to the much more expensive T1.

I find the two most similar headphones that I own are the T1s and HE-6s...FWIW.

May 15, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #303 of 1,779

I think that HE-500 have plenty of bass- I've found that they have an overall warm/dark signature (they make HD600 sound bright 
eek.gif
) and deep, powerful bass.  It's not D7000 powerful, but imo that's a good thing, as they have a much more balanced sound.  Likewise the mids are better than anything I've ever heard, so you won't be lacking there either.

$21 premium over $899 headphones?  I'd say you hardly paid for shipping or customs.  Up in Canada, tax alone approaches 17%..

HST in Ontario is 13%.

May 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #304 of 1,779

Quote:

I had a feeling, but finally I *know* what the T1 sounds like, thanks!

May 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #305 of 1,779
The T1 is basically a MUCH better DT880. It's probably the only headphone I haven't juxtaposed with the HE-500. From my memory, I think they have a very similar sound signature to the HE headphones.

I had a feeling the T1 and HEs would have somewhat of a similar sound. I was considering the T1 before I heard about the HE4. Now I have owned both the 880s and HE4 and found them to have a pretty distinct resemblance, I'd wanna hear how the HE4 compares to the much more expensive T1.

Have you heard the HE4? I wonder how similar they sound to the HE6 itself. I know the HE6 is more refined, but I wonder if they share a 'house' sound.

May 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #306 of 1,779

Have you heard the HE4? I wonder how similar they sound to the HE6 itself. I know the HE6 is more refined, but I wonder if they share a 'house' sound.

Sorry, I have not heard the HE-4s yet.

May 15, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #307 of 1,779
Considering your experience with flagships, I'm sure it'd be a backstep for you, but I figured you may have possibly heard one in a meet or something.

May 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #308 of 1,779
Considering your experience with flagships, I'm sure it'd be a backstep for you, but I figured you may have possibly heard one in a meet or something.

I do plan to hopefully hear the HE-4s down the road and hopefully sooner than later (along with the HE-500s).

May 15, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #309 of 1,779
Cool. I look forward to your impressions to see just how much of a value they represent at their price range.

May 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #311 of 1,779
Had to rep some Toradora love. :)

I've been giving a lot of head time to my D7000 the past few days. I'm just literally in love with them. Like seriously. They wow me as much as the first time I put them on. I gotta switch up to my HE4... but like I don't want to right now. :D

May 16, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #312 of 1,779

Quote:

Hi K3, you have tried a lot of headphones, and I'm interested in a couple of comparisons when you get a chance. I'm acquainted with the HE-5 and 6, as well as the HD800 and LCD-2. How would you compare the sound of the HE-500 to an HD800 and a well-amped HE-6? I'm more interested in things like tonal balance, imaging and detail than soundstage comparisons.

Also, the HD800 and LCD-2 have similar amping requirements; regarding efficiency is the HE-500 as efficient as the LCD-2/HD800? Or is it more like the K701/HE-5, somewhere in between the LCD-2/HD800 and the HE6? I did find the K701 to be more efficient than the HE-5.

HE500, HE6 and HD800 would sound fairly different from each other. In terms of a tonal balance, the HE500 is the most pleasant with its balance tilted towards the warm side with an intimate, forward midrange. Both HE6 and HD800 are tilted to the bright side and their midrange are more pushed behind too compared to the other frequencies. Upper mid and treble in HE6 and HD800 have some amount of stridency in them, it's more obvious in the HD800 as the peak is more pronounced and less so with the HE6. I thought both HE6 and HD800 come from the same mold tonality-wise but I would say ultimately, the HD800 is the more transparent headphone and also, the less pleasant sounding. In terms of imaging, the HD800 is a step or two above the two Hifiman orthos, a fact which is helped by its spacious, 3D-like soundstage which gives every instrument a living space of their own. I always feel that imaging is not the HE6's strongest suit even when compared to the LCD2 as it has a tendency to throw you a "wall-of-sound" if fed with a complicated metal music. 

Efficiency-wise, I would say that the HE500 is closer to HE5 than the LCD2 but I think that there is more to the amplification business other than the classic question of "can it drive headphone A/B/C or not?". The thing is it's easier to get the HE500 to sound awesome than HD800 or LCD2. The HD800 is a chameleon but combine it with the wrong amplifier, it will sound thin and brittle. It seems to mate best with the Zana Deux, an OTL tube design. The LCD2 is not as picky as the HD800 but it's rather finicky and it seems to work the opposite of the HD800, it sounds crappy out of the Zana Deux but shines with the solid-state β22. Well, the HE500 obviously doesn't scale as well as these two headphones but it's a lot easier to get it right. 

May 16, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #313 of 1,779

Quote:
HIn terms of a tonal balance, the HE500 is the most pleasant with its balance tilted towards the warm side with an intimate, forward midrange.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Would you say that the HE-500 approaches the warmth of the LCD-2?

May 16, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #314 of 1,779

Quote:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Would you say that the HE-500 approaches the warmth of the LCD-2?

I would say that it's somewhere in between the LCD2 and HE6 but closer to the HE6. I can say for sure that the HE500 has more sparkle to its treble (although its treble doesn't extend as far as the LCD2) and more air to its soundstage. Hmm... in terms of midrange warmth, I can also say for sure that the vocal in HE500 has more "bloom" in the lower midrange registers, the LCD2 is less colored in this regards. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back