HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #286 of 1,779
The HE-500's don't have the HD-800's mid-treble hump that tends to leave me fatigued after long sessions.

The HD800's are the most comfortable cans I've ever worn and have great detail resolution but the HE-500's are more transparent, have deeper and more tuneful bass and smoother/flatter highs. And that's high praise since I really like the HD800's.

May 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #287 of 1,779
Thanks for chiming in Leesure. How does the HE-500 compare to the HD-800 in regards to efficiency?

May 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #288 of 1,779
Quote:
The HE-500's don't have the HD-800's mid-treble hump that tends to leave me fatigued after long sessions.

The HD800's are the most comfortable cans I've ever worn and have great detail resolution but the HE-500's are more transparent, have deeper and more tuneful bass and smoother/flatter highs. And that's high praise since I really like the HD800's.

Awesome, thanks for the impressions. I suspected some of the stuff you mentioned, but I'm glad you can confirm.

I've always heard good things about the HD800's comfort. Maybe someday I can try them on as well as the F1.

May 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #289 of 1,779
Thanks for chiming in Leesure. How does the HE-500 compare to the HD-800 in regards to efficiency?

I don't have a pair of HD800's here to test it, but it I recall correctly, they are close. The HE-500's are not the power hog that the other HE's are. They are about 'thirty minutes' less efficient than the LCD-2's. That is, if my amp is at 11 o'clock for the LCD-2's, I have to move it to 11:30 to get the same volume from the HE-500's. With the HE-4's, it's more like 90 minutes+ difference from the LCD's.

All of the amps i have here are power houses...the 2-watt WA6SE, the 5-watt Schiit Lyr and the 5-watt+ balanced Red Wine Audio Isabellina. None of those struggle to push the 500's to uncomfortable levels with no loss of dynamics. I just packed up a Woo WA6 with their new Teflon adaptors and 7N7 tubes. That combo sounded terrific with a nice round full bottom end that compliments the HE-500's more than it did the alread bassy LCD-2's. That too seemed comfortable driving the HE-500's as loud as I cared to with no clipping even on dynamic passages.

FWIW and if anyone is interested, of the amps I tried them on, the RWA Isabellina is the best match in my opinion.

May 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #290 of 1,779
I have to say that the HE-500 sound very nice out of the Isabella LFPV headphone out but they sound superb when driven by the 30.2 LFPV which in turn is driven by the Isabella LFPV. It is not a matter of power since I barely make it to 9 o'clock but of control, the 30.2 takes the HE-500 and just makes them sing. BTW, in contrast the inexpensive HLLY SMK-II also makes the HE-500 sound very nice, granted not as well but for about $200 it is a very nice match.

The Graham Slee Solo SRGII w/ the PSU1 power supply is also a nice match, very smooth and musical. BTW, I listen at very low levels of 64-67 dB on average.

May 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #291 of 1,779
I'm seriously considering these. But if fleshy lower mids and authoritative bass are my prioroties I guess LCD2 is what I should go for?

It's just that LCD2 will end up about  300-400 $ more expensive, considering that I have to pay for shipping/Customs/TAX to EU. HE-500 looks promising for sure. Have anyone bought ordered these to EU or USA? how much did you pay for customs/tax/shipping?

Has anyone tried HE-500 with EF5 or TTVJ Slim?

I want both :p

May 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #292 of 1,779
Won't you have to pay customs on either choice?

Bass and more fleshed out mids are indeed the calling cards of the Audeze's. While wider soundstage and more nuetral timbre are the strengths of the HE-500's.

May 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #293 of 1,779
Quote:

Bass and more fleshed out mids are indeed the calling cards of the Audeze's. While wider soundstage and more nuetral timbre are the strengths of the HE-500's.

I'm curious to how you would feel if the (HE-1000) had most of the qualities of the HE-500, but had bass of the LCD-2. I'm wondering if you would prefer that over the LCD-2, or if you are glad the HE-500 and LCD-2 are kept separate, because they are good in their own ways and for different things.

May 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #294 of 1,779
Interesting question.

If either HifiMan added the fleshy lower mids and bass of the LCD-2's OR if Audez'e added the soundstage and imaging of the HE-500's would that make one perfect headphone that would satisfy completely? Maybe.

Would that make me happier? Dunno...finding what you've been searching for also ends the fun of the search.

May 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #295 of 1,779
I'm pretty sure you'd pay customs either way...I'm in the US, and payed $920 total shipping and all.

Quote:
I'm seriously considering these. But if fleshy lower mids and authoritative bass are my prioroties I guess LCD2 is what I should go for?

It's just that LCD2 will end up about  300-400 $ more expensive, considering that I have to pay for shipping/Customs/TAX to EU. HE-500 looks promising for sure. Have anyone bought ordered these to EU or USA? how much did you pay for customs/tax/shipping?

May 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #296 of 1,779
Quote:
...finding what you've been searching for also ends the fun of the search.

Agree with you there.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #297 of 1,779
Yes but I've heard people pay 350-400 $ in total for the LCD's shipping/customs/tax.To sweden that is. I assume it's cheaper from China to Europe, like 150 in total or so.

Hmm.. HE-500 is a bit lighter than LCD2. I've tried LCD2 for some time and they are really heavy. Is the comfort of HE-500 good? I have a comparatively big head(but a very small but very efficient brain)

Thanks

Quote:

May 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #298 of 1,779

Quote:

I think that HE-500 have plenty of bass- I've found that they have an overall warm/dark signature (they make HD600 sound bright 
eek.gif
) and deep, powerful bass.  It's not D7000 powerful, but imo that's a good thing, as they have a much more balanced sound.  Likewise the mids are better than anything I've ever heard, so you won't be lacking there either.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you'd pay customs either way...I'm in the US, and payed $920 total shipping and all.

$21 premium over $899 headphones?  I'd say you hardly paid for shipping or customs.  Up in Canada, tax alone approaches 17%..

May 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #299 of 1,779
Quote:
Hmm.. HE-500 is a bit lighter than LCD2. I've tried LCD2 for some time and they are really heavy. Is the comfort of HE-500 good? I have a comparatively big head(but a very small but very efficient brain.

Cannot speak for the LCD-2, but the HE-4 has some of the best comfort in any headphone I've tried. Easily in my top 5, and maybe even top 3.

May 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #300 of 1,779
In the US (at least in my experience) we don't pay tax on anything that comes from outside of our state. It's usually just Cost + Shipping. I've never had to pay an extra customs charge either. I guess I take that for granted because I've never lived anywhere else. EDIT: Inside Texas is 8.25% tax though.

Also, on the question of comfort. I haven't tried the HE 500 yet, but they're the same size and what-not of the HE5LE (I think). I really liked those comfort wise. Hifiman seems to have headband design nailed. EDIT: As far as the LCD-2 go, I thought they had great comfort. They're very heavy for headphones, but the weight was distributed really well. I actually loved the heavier weight.

Quote:
$21 premium over $899 headphones?  I'd say you hardly paid for shipping or customs.  Up in Canada, tax alone approaches 17%..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back