HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #332 of 1,779

Quote:
I could see if you like the bright signature of the HE-500 you would think the LCDs are dark sounding. I had the exact opposite impressions 
biggrin.gif

I'm amazed that people are describing the HE-500 as bright headphones.  If anything, I found that the low-mids were fairly pronounced and that treble was relatively tame and cymbals, etc. sometimes too quiet.  For that reason I did not like them with my otl tube amp and used them with a brighter SS amp. And I'm no fan of treble, believe me- I've ditched many headphones because of their excessive treble (for example my D7000, which are nearly out the door).

May 18, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #333 of 1,779

Quote:
Dude, I told you to get rid of the PRM while you had the chance. I bet now that you regret it more than ever. 
tongue.gif

I agree that the HE500 has the best tonality among the other Hifiman orthos. I don't think it's better than the HE6 per se though as the latter is still more transparent and airier at the cost of a rather recessed midrange and center image problems. It's just a shame that the HE500 is not competitive in terms of pricing as ultimately the LCD2 at $50 more is the more resolving and transparent headphone that scales better with your equipment. 

The DACPort should be more than enough for the HE500. 

LOL, you even dare to bashing me here huh? :))

well, PRM is PRM, it's just simply can't compare directly to HE-Series, they're different, I won't sell my PRM to get any of HE-Series.

Shame on me, I forgot to test my DACport with HE500 yesterday.

Quote:
Because HE-6 is so difficult to drive, it can easily sound harsh if not properly amped. At least with my system (NFB-3 -> Lyr) i don't think that HE-6 is ever sibiland or harsh, and my ears are quite sensitive to harsh highs. Most of ppl agree now that the best way to drive HE-6 right now is with a power amp. Hopefully the upcoming EF6 from HifiMan will turn ppl around as how they think of HE-6 now. 

Just FYI, I tested HE6 and HE500 with the same set up, HM801 + Dared MP5 (Speaker output, it's about 13 watt at 8 ohm) + HE6/HE500

May 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #334 of 1,779

Quote:
Just FYI, I tested HE6 and HE500 with the same set up, HM801 + Dared MP5 (Speaker output, it's about 13 watt at 8 ohm) + HE6/HE500

Oh, i see. I agree that compare to HE-500 HE-6 seems to just a little big dry, but personally i wouldn't say it's sibilant or harsh. That's HE-4. :) 

Quote:
Is that with the EF5? I hope so! (I finally have an amp that actually synergizes!)

Also, do you find any advantage or disadvantage for using high vs low gain?

i think that the credit really should go to HE-500. I haven't tried HE-500 with any other amp, but so far nothing to complain with EF5.
I just like the sound of high gain. low gain seems to be a little bit thin, but it is maybe just the volume playing the trick. There is really no advatage or disadvantage between them. You can just test it yourself. I constantly find myself switching back to high gain.

May 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #335 of 1,779
Damn, the mids of HE-500 is really THAT good. Melody Gardot never sounded this good (trying to use a more fancy word here, but can't think of anything right now. must play the album one more time). ^_^

May 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #336 of 1,779
Amp and source is exposed with the HE. I liked the tube amp on the 6s but the ss amps performed better. There is three times more power with the current ss amp though so that may be why. As for soundstage issues, I too noticed the middle presentation issue on every ortho (lcd2, he6, he500) until they were properly amped. The 6s need in the range of 50 wpc @ 8ohms to blossom. I know that's more than suggested but this was my experiences. The 500s don't need as much but sound great with it.

May 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #337 of 1,779

Quote:
Quote:
So would the lcd-2 be the better choice for metal?

IMO...yes.

I kinda question this. I havent heard the LCD-2 because its reported rolled of treble scared me away. Same thing made me chose HE-5 over HE-5LE though that might have been a mistake. Despite how awesome HE-5 sounds it is at the times eenyweeny too bright.
Anyway, LCD-2 might have fantastic midrange and bass to die for, but metal does need its treble. Most metal music is mastered bright, yes, but it is for reason. While it should sound weighty in the lower end, the biting upper midrange and treble fuzz is still important part of the sound and if the headphone pushes them back, it sounds softer. Thats the reason why Sennheiser headphones were not recommended for metal back in the day. Grados got the sound almost right except for the bass weight which is a bit wimpy. Of course, metal having kazillion different styles and subgenres their needs vary a lot, but in general this is the case.

May 18, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #338 of 1,779

Quote:

I kinda question this. I havent heard the LCD-2 because its reported rolled of treble scared me away. Same thing made me chose HE-5 over HE-5LE though that might have been a mistake. Despite how awesome HE-5 sounds it is at the times eenyweeny too bright.
Anyway, LCD-2 might have fantastic midrange and bass to die for, but metal does need its treble. Most metal music is mastered bright, yes, but it is for reason. While it should sound weighty in the lower end, the biting upper midrange and treble fuzz is still important part of the sound and if the headphone pushes them back, it sounds softer. Thats the reason why Sennheiser headphones were not recommended for metal back in the day. Grados got the sound exactly right except for the bass weight which is a bit wimpy. Of course, metal having kazillion different styles and subgenres their needs vary a lot, but in general this is the case.

If you haven't heard the LCD-2, then how can you question this?  The LCD-2's are not as bright as the HE-series, but that does NOT mean they don't produce treble.  To hear some say it, they LCD's stop producing sound above 12K.  IMO, the LCD-s are better for reproducing amplified music...that's because there is no real soundstage...only what the mixer dictates, and the weighter midrange mates better with the gravely voices most often associated with Metal. 

Hence my answer.

A hint, don't assume everything you read is the way it is...try things for yourself...form your own opinions.  That includes taking mine for what they are...mine.

May 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #339 of 1,779
About the taxes/customs discussion I pad more than 300 $ in shipping(80)+taxes+customs for LCD2 to Sweden. Hopefully when the HE-500 Euro Loaner starts I will compare LCD2 with HE-500.

May 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #340 of 1,779
I just got a phone call from the shipping company. I was at work, so they sent the info to my email.

Unfortunately, I guess I have to fill out like 4 forms of information and customs. Stuff including social security number, and basic information. I'm kinda confused as heck about all this, and never had to do this before. One of the documents requires signature, and I guess that would involve me typing my name? Goodness, I really don't think I will figure all this stuff out...

May 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #341 of 1,779
I've never had to deal with this either. According to DHL they've left Hong Kong. I haven't gotten a call of email about customs though...Are you CONUS? I kind of dread doing this. lol

Quote:
I just got a phone call from the shipping company. I was at work, so they sent the info to my email.

Unfortunately, I guess I have to fill out like 4 forms of information and customs. Stuff including social security number, and basic information. I'm kinda confused as heck about all this, and never had to do this before. One of the documents requires signature, and I guess that would involve me typing my name? Goodness, I really don't think I will figure all this stuff out...

May 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #343 of 1,779
Quote:
I've never had to deal with this either. According to DHL they've left Hong Kong. I haven't gotten a call of email about customs though...Are you CONUS? I kind of dread doing this. lol

Yeah, I live in the U.S. But it was FedEx that sent me the email. They said my package is on route to Alaska, and that they don't accept packages without customs, blah, blah, blah. Last time, DHL emailed me and said it shipped, as simple as that. Now, I don't know what the heck I'm doing. She said if I don't complete it by 5:00, my package will be delayed.

May 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #344 of 1,779

Quote:
Yeah, I live in the U.S. But it was FedEx that sent me the email. They said my package is on route to Alaska, and that they don't accept packages without customs, blah, blah, blah. Last time, DHL emailed me and said it shipped, as simple as that. Now, I don't know what the heck I'm doing. She said if I don't complete it by 5:00, my package will be delayed.

So...Yours got FedExed this time? They sent me DHL tracking for my HE 500...Seems odd...

Also, you're in ALASKA? That could be troublesome, I imagine.

May 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #345 of 1,779
Quote:
So...Yours got FedExed this time? They sent me DHL tracking for my HE 500...Seems odd...

Also, you're in ALASKA? That could be troublesome, I imagine.

Yeah? Last time I got DHL and it was EASY. This time I have FedEx and it's a freaking pain!

No, I live in Utah. She just said it was on route to Alaska. I checked tracking and it said it's supposed to be delivered Tuesday of next week, but it will probably be delayed now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back