HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,326 of 3,445
Why it wouldn't? This is a state of the art dap. Has many flaws but does one thing better than all else: giving unbeatable sound quality.

+1

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,327 of 3,445
Rece
From the new updated warranty terms, hifiman will cover the warranty even w/o proof of purchase. They'd just cover it base on its date of release (from the factory :) The warranty extension is a great news for all existing and new users.

And to answer another question above, the warranty is transferable. They don't really care who bought it when new, as long as it's within warranty period, it's covered. The player still has some problems here and there (for me it's mostly just firmware now), their after sale services have been great.
recently having deal with the service center of hifiman, I found they are indeed great in the after sale service.

After leaving hm901 I still come back with a new 901. They sound amazing and the sound quality is not something words can describe.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #2,329 of 3,445
To add to the discussion on the state of after sales care, the customer service team at Hifiman is top notch! :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #2,330 of 3,445
It is not a useless brick. You just need the proper input that will fully utilize the dac. X5, ak100, dx100 etc. it's amazing. Not even a side upgrade compared to the current daps with amps or whatnot. A distinct and obvious upgrade in sq.

And I'm a huge 901 fanboy btw.

Note that I said, "the Chord Hugo is not a self contained DAP, it's a useless brick without a computer hooked up to it"

By itself you will hear nothing but silence.  As it's NOT a standalone Digital Audio Player, it's not directly comparable to the HM-901 on equal terms.  Since the HM-901 can't currently be hooked up to a computer as a DAC without a AC Mains powered, large external Docking Station, the HM-901 can't compete with the Chord Hugo in the use as a portable DAC as well.

So, in the end I don't see the relevance in comparing the two, other than pure curiosity. 

Although I guess it is possible to use a DAP with a Digital Audio output and strap the Chord Hugo to it, then maybe stack an even better portable amp for a triple decker audio sandwich.  Won't be remotely pocketable, but it is self contained, battery powered solution.  Albeit a solution that costs well over $3K USD.  

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,331 of 3,445
Thanks for the replies , just need to convince "she who must be obeyed "
Dare I ask , what flaws? Or should I just read the whole thread ?

Quirks and oddities I don't mind. Lousy UI and battery life I can live with.
My main priorities are sound and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has been working great since bought nearly 6mth ago, and it's even better w the latest 1.085beta firmware. The only problem I had so far was the imbalanced headphone out, which was caused by the balance/unbalance toggle switch. I pushed it up/down 20-30 times as suggested by some other guys at erji forum, problem solved and it's been almost problem free.

I don't remove the battery unless changing amp card, and I don't select songs based on anything but folders, just use it as a CD player, one CD a time :D. That probably helped avoid some problems some other users encountered.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,332 of 3,445
To add to the discussion on the state of after sales care, the customer service team at Hifiman is top notch!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, HifiMan's QC is not exactly top notch, but their Customer Service is top notch.  It's better to have top notch Customer Service with lower Quality Control, vs. lower Customer Service with top notch Quality Control.  Because if you get a lemon in either case, top notch Customer Service will win in the end.  Of course it's optimal to have both, but then the product in question will likely cost a lot more money.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,333 of 3,445
Yeah, HifiMan's QC is not exactly top notch, but their Customer Service is top notch.  It's better to have top notch Customer Service with lower Quality Control, vs. lower Customer Service with top notch Quality Control.  Because if you get a lemon in either case, top notch Customer Service will win in the end.  Of course it's optimal to have both, but then the product in question will likely cost a lot more money.

My thoughts exactly, Edwood! :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,334 of 3,445
I also feel the hm901 is a bit bulky for road use. Second hand AK120 price came down quite a bit, so I bought one to make up for that. HM901 for home use and AK120 on the go, problem solved :)

Ditto here. I use my HM802 and 901 in the office or in bed when I'm reading. But the AK100 and 120 when I travel. However, size is not the issue: it's the battery life that makes it difficult for me. Too much real estate taken up in my luggage for the DAP and it's dedicated charging unit.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,335 of 3,445
I'll can definitely attest to their after sales service.  I went thru 3 units that had various issues and each time they replaced the units no questions asked.  The 4th one works great.  Unfortunately, that doesn't say much for their quality control!

I'm glad to hear that your 901 works perfectly now, frankrindaniel. :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,336 of 3,445
Note that I said, "the Chord Hugo is not a self contained DAP, it's a useless brick without a computer hooked up to it"

By itself you will hear nothing but silence.  As it's NOT a standalone Digital Audio Player, it's not directly comparable to the HM-901 on equal terms.  Since the HM-901 can't currently be hooked up to a computer as a DAC without a AC Mains powered, large external Docking Station, the HM-901 can't compete with the Chord Hugo in the use as a portable DAC as well.

So, in the end I don't see the relevance in comparing the two, other than pure curiosity. 

Although I guess it is possible to use a DAP with a Digital Audio output and strap the Chord Hugo to it, then maybe stack an even better portable amp for a triple decker audio sandwich.  Won't be remotely pocketable, but it is self contained, battery powered solution.  Albeit a solution that costs well over $3K USD.  

I agree. It becomes a neither here nor there solution. Not quite portable and not quite a desktop unit with all the power. That's the thing which makes ambivalent towards the a chord hugo

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,337 of 3,445
I also feel the hm901 is a bit bulky for road use. Second hand AK120 price came down quite a bit, so I bought one to make up for that. HM901 for home use and AK120 on the go, problem solved :)

Don't!

I went down that path before but the gap between AK120 and HM901 is so big that I end up still taking out the HM901 ALL the times. I finally sold the AK120 for a dx50 as my "occassional road use" and for emergency situation DAP (read: forgot to charge my 901)..... and even I had now got the 240, with new toy syndrome and whatnot, I m STILL listening to 901+mb+re600 right now as I'm posting this....

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,338 of 3,445
Don't!

I went down that path before but the gap between AK120 and HM901 is so big that I end up still taking out the HM901 ALL the times. I finally sold the AK120 for a dx50 as my "occassional road use" and for emergency situation DAP (read: forgot to charge my 901)..... and even I had now got the 240, with new toy syndrome and whatnot, I m STILL listening to 901+mb+re600 right now as I'm posting this....

Yes, I have heard the 240, and the 901 still comes out tops! :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,339 of 3,445
Yes, I have heard the 240, and the 901 still comes out tops! :)

Yea at this level it's really more a out the synergy/preference with the phones and music, I'm listening to some Tacet tube recordings and RE600 on MB in 901 is just sublime.

I won't go as far to say which is on top on which except that for DSD files they sounded universally better on the AK240.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,340 of 3,445
Yea at this level it's really more a out the synergy/preference with the phones and music, I'm listening to some Tacet tube recordings and RE600 on MB in 901 is just sublime.

I won't go as far to say which is on top on which except that for DSD files they sounded universally better on the AK240.

Heheh! At that price differential, it better sound better with something. For dsd files, it'll be interesting to see what the Calyx will be like. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back