HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #2,311 of 3,445
  Not a big deal to me seeing as there is very little in DSD content out there.  And worse yet, anything high res is clipped to hell anyways as the mastering is crap to begin with.  Sigh.

@ClieOS has made a great post in X5 thread to discuss about why native DSD DAP is so expensive, a really good read as always:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/5145#post_10354462

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #2,312 of 3,445

@ClieOS has made a great post in X5 thread to discuss about why native DSD DAP is so expensive, a really good read as always:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/5145#post_10354462

Yeah, chicken or the egg paradox.  No mass produced native DSD SOC, so no popular support for DSD files.  No popular support for DSD means, no incentive to create native DSD SOC.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #2,313 of 3,445
Hi, I am thinking of getting a 901 with Standard Amp card, 
would that work well with DT1350 or ES10s?

thanks

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #2,315 of 3,445
I am sure it sounds superb, as does my 801, I am just a little
confused over the amp card choice

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #2,316 of 3,445

Apparently all amp cards are phenomenal but many users tend to say the balanced card is the best even you use it in single ended mode.

Honestly despite its flaws and problems even I am considering HM901 to use. Then I am thinking about its size and how I usually use my dap (in my pocket mostly, when I am walking around or going to the university in buses etc) the urge to buy it fades away
frown.gif
If you can live with its flaws, I am sure you will be a happy chap.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2,317 of 3,445
Hi, I am thinking of getting a 901 with Standard Amp card, 
would that work well with DT1350 or ES10s?
You'll be fine with the Classic Card (the included with the player) for the headphones you mention, they are very efficient and have moderate impedance. I wouldn't recommend the IEM card and for those cans I don't think it's necessary a more powerful card.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2,318 of 3,445

Apparently all amp cards are phenomenal but many users tend to say the balanced card is the best even you use it in single ended mode.

Honestly despite its flaws and problems even I am considering HM901 to use. Then I am thinking about its size and how I usually use my dap (in my pocket mostly, when I am walking around or going to the university in buses etc) the urge to buy it fades away
frown.gif
If you can live with its flaws, I am sure you will be a happy chap.

I am a happy DAP chap
tongue.gif

Though I mostly listen to the 901 while holding it in my hand or having it lying on my lap ("DAP on lap chap"), I also use it regulary in my pocket - jacket, jeans etc. - and it gets a bit warm, but not hot. The sound is hot, but the DAP is not ... haha.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2,319 of 3,445
  I am a happy DAP chap
tongue.gif

Though I mostly listen to the 901 while holding it in my hand or having it lying on my lap ("DAP on lap chap"), I also use it regulary in my pocket - jacket, jeans etc. - and it gets a bit warm, but not hot. The sound is hot, but the DAP is not ... haha.

Getting hot is not the biggest issue in my mind but the size.

Now, that I have to admit, I am wearing "regular" jeans. Not that skinny hipster thing but still the thickness worries me.

I think the thickness should be maximum around X5's thickness. More than that is not really pocketable.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,321 of 3,445
Since the Chord Hugo is not a self contained DAP, it's  a useless brick without a computer hooked up to it.   And it only does 48/16 with an iPad or phone. 

So it's not directly comparable to the HM -901 or any DAP for that matter.   

It is not a useless brick. You just need the proper input that will fully utilize the dac. X5, ak100, dx100 etc. it's amazing. Not even a side upgrade compared to the current daps with amps or whatnot. A distinct and obvious upgrade in sq.

And I'm a huge 901 fanboy btw.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #2,322 of 3,445
You'll be fine with the Classic Card (the included with the player) for the headphones you mention, they are very efficient and have moderate impedance. I wouldn't recommend the IEM card and for those cans I don't think it's necessary a more powerful card.

I have to disagree. The 1350 is clinical and analytical enough to warrant the iem card. It's not about power. Even with the standard and iems cards, you won't get past 4 or 4.5 on the volume knob. More of the pairing.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2,323 of 3,445
FYI: HifiMan warranty is useless unless you can provide proof of purchase i.e. PayPal payment transaction form or the original form of payment.invoice.  

Does anybody know if Fang upped or will up the warranty to 2 years on the  HM-802 as well?

From the new updated warranty terms, hifiman will cover the warranty even w/o proof of purchase. They'd just cover it base on its date of release (from the factory :) The warranty extension is a great news for all existing and new users.

And to answer another question above, the warranty is transferable. They don't really care who bought it when new, as long as it's within warranty period, it's covered. The player still has some problems here and there (for me it's mostly just firmware now), their after sale services have been great.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #2,324 of 3,445
Getting hot is not the biggest issue in my mind but the size.

Now, that I have to admit, I am wearing "regular" jeans. Not that skinny hipster thing but still the thickness worries me.

I think the thickness should be maximum around X5's thickness. More than that is not really pocketable.

I also feel the hm901 is a bit bulky for road use. Second hand AK120 price came down quite a bit, so I bought one to make up for that. HM901 for home use and AK120 on the go, problem solved :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #2,325 of 3,445
Thanks for the replies , just need to convince "she who must be obeyed "
Dare I ask , what flaws? Or should I just read the whole thread ?

Quirks and oddities I don't mind. Lousy UI and battery life I can live with.
My main priorities are sound and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back