HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #2,281 of 3,445
Since you own almost all flagships, it makes sense to own HE-6, too. Not sure about EF-6, I demoed and did not think to own it as it takes up so much real estate.
I am thinking about downgrading to the HE-560 so that I wont be constantly asking this question to myself "can it drive the HE-6?". It can be frustrating when I dont have the dough nor space to buy more amps. :frowning2: I guess it wont apply to you since you already have the he500.

Heheh! The HE-500 was an opportunistic purchase. Totally unplanned. Bought it off a nice young man. But, yes, the HE-6 is the last frontier. And, yes, that question that bedevils you concerns me too. Hence, the hesitation. We'll see... :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,282 of 3,445
Is there a way to connect the the LCD 3 to the 901 using the 4 pin xlr with some type of adapter and take advantage of the balanced mode.

Perhaps, a 4 pin xlr to 1/8 trrs adapter. Does this exist. If it does, has anyone here tried something like that.

I am very, very close to "hurt" my wallet :) and get get the LCD 3, but I am trying to see all the possibilities, before I make this huge commitment $$$.

Any comment here, will be highly appreciated :) 
Ask Peter at DHC, he will do that adapter for you, I am almost sure.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #2,284 of 3,445

On a scale of 1-10, the HM-901 w/ Balanced Card drives the HE-6 to a 6, maybe 7 in sound quality.  Compared to the EF-6 driving the HE-6 to a 10.

But the HM-901 drives the HE-560 even better due to the HE-560 being more efficient than the HE-6.  :wink:

Apart from not completely agreeing with you assessment of the SQ (901 with Bal. amp to HE-6), I think there is truth to the principle that a more sensitive headphone like the HE-560 (90dB) will fit the HM-901 better.

On the other hand - if you have the HE-6 already - I find it a wonderful combination simply because the HE-6 is super resolving. It out-resolves the HM-901 / Balanced amp combo, but this is not a bad thing in my opinion. It just extracts all the sound information the source / amp is capable of delivering. Plug the HE-6 into a high end DAC - amp combo and you get even higher SQ. Not a bad scenario in my opinion.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #2,285 of 3,445
  Is there a way to connect the the LCD 3 to the 901 using the 4 pin xlr with some type of adapter and take advantage of the balanced mode.

Perhaps, a 4 pin xlr to 1/8 trrs adapter. Does this exist. If it does, has anyone here tried something like that.

I am very, very close to "hurt" my wallet :) and get get the LCD 3, but I am trying to see all the possibilities, before I make this huge commitment $$$.

Any comment here, will be highly appreciated :) 

Have you actually heard the LCD-3? It's an awfull lot of money to spend if you don't love the dark sound it produces ...

What I am trying to say is that the sound signature - especially concerning the valley in the upper mids and lower treble - makes it sound surprisingly dark. Just as the opposite is true about the HD-800 (a bump in the upper mids and lower treble). To me - and this is of course my opinion - the LCD-3 is too dark and the HD-800 too light sounding. I actually prefer LCD-2 over the -3 in terms of tonality. LCD-3 may be more transparent, but it doesn't sound balanced to my ears. In that respect the LCD-2 (a little dark) and HE-6 (a little light) are better.

After modding my HE-6 it sounds super balanced and even more transparent than stock. True reference SQ. It won't play anything called loud directly from the HM-901 with Balanced amp, but in terms of raw sound quality it's just gorgeous.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #2,286 of 3,445
A heads up: Fang just announced in Hifiman's forum that the dock is current in test production..

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #2,287 of 3,445
Thanks for the update, ClieOS. This will be something to look forward to.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #2,289 of 3,445

popcorn.gif
eagerly waiting for your impressions.
biggrin.gif

Haha! If indeed I do get it. It's been such a long time that I really cannot remember what it is that it does... 
blink.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,290 of 3,445
Quick, CHG: Since you have now tried driving the HE-6 off the HM901, assuming you have done so before, how does it compare with the Chord Hugo in driving the HE-6? I really shouldn't ask since the answer to be harmful to my health... 
atsmile.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #2,291 of 3,445
Quick, CHG: Since you have now tried driving the HE-6 off the HM901, assuming you have done so before, how does it compare with the Chord Hugo in driving the HE-6? I really shouldn't ask since the answer to be harmful to my health... :atsmile:

Hugo cannot drive he-6. It can reach higher vol than hm-901, but unfortunately with distortions.
however, there are rca out that you can use for hooking up with a more powerful amp. Its a very versatile box. If comparing line out between hugo and hm-901, i feel hugo is superior in SQ

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #2,292 of 3,445
Hugo cannot drive he-6. It can reach higher vol than hm-901, but unfortunately with distortions.
however, there are rca out that you can use for hooking up with a more powerful amp. Its a very versatile box. If comparing line out between hugo and hm-901, i feel hugo is superior in SQ

Ah... I see. Hmmm... Will need to try it out here in singapore once the frenzy dies down. Today is the launch of the Chord Hugo. :)

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #2,294 of 3,445
Oh, good. Bring your hd800 for audition, you will be pleasantly suprised.

Noted with thanks! Heheh! Usually, Jaben will lend me one of their demo units to test. But since you mention it, I'll bring down my own unit. The other one which I am curious about would be the Beyer T1. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #2,295 of 3,445
Will have a Hugo to compare but expect the 901 to do well but again, should be interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back