HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,251 of 3,445
  HM901 w/ balanced card can really drive HE6? Even most powerful desktop amps can have bad memories about HE6, people use speaker amps for those monsters.

No, it can produce adequate volume but I won't say it can "drive".... even LCD3 isn't driven "properly" by portable setups.  Listenable? Yes.  The gap for LCD3 on 901 vs desktop rigs is not too big but still noticeable.  HD800 more so, and HE6 even more.  And I'm not comparing bespoke desktop rigs but just a lowly Audio-Gd NFB28 ess9018 balanced DAC/AMP that is cheaper than the hm901+balanced card.  

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,252 of 3,445
People use speaker amps to drive HE-6 because "everyone" says they should. It's not needed to make HE-6 sing, unless you play outrageously loud.

I have both HE-6 and HM-901 with Balanced amp and it sounds simply gorgeous. I mostly don't bother to plug one of my desktop amps between the HE-6 and 901, because it's so good directly from the DAP and it's more convenient too. Does it sound better with Leben CS300, Burson Soloist or Audio-gd Master-6 from line out of the 901 to HE-6? Yes, it does, but it's not because of the power difference (at sensible volumes). It's because these big, heavy and expensive amps are better than a mini portable amp card (however a very good one).

If I was on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to use HE-6 with HM-901 with Balanced amp card, because even though I am not, I use it with great delight.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #2,253 of 3,445
Hifiman 901 Is indeed very musical and high control is much better than 801. Despite having 801 and I purchase back the 901 with IEM and sound really very good. I think the earlier batch IEM manufactured on 2013 Jan is no good especially in the high control side. Well my new 901 come with IEM and card manufactured on 2013 Oct sound absolutely stunning. Used to owe the mini box but I still prefer the IEM. Not sure how good the Classic card is and could someone comments on the different between the IEM VS CLASSIS Cards! Well hopefully can get the Angel Card too but it seemed impossible based on the earlier posted thread.

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #2,254 of 3,445
People use speaker amps to drive HE-6 because "everyone" says they should. It's not needed to make HE-6 sing, unless you play outrageously loud.

I have both HE-6 and HM-901 with Balanced amp and it sounds simply gorgeous. I mostly don't bother to plug one of my desktop amps between the HE-6 and 901, because it's so good directly from the DAP and it's more convenient too. Does it sound better with Leben CS300, Burson Soloist or Audio-gd Master-6 from line out of the 901 to HE-6? Yes, it does, but it's not because of the power difference (at sensible volumes). It's because these big, heavy and expensive amps are better than a mini portable amp card (however a very good one).

If I was on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to use HE-6 with HM-901 with Balanced amp card, because even though I am not, I use it with great delight.

I do agree with this perspective. Though it would sound butter but many a times I am too lazy to sit in front of my desktop rig or to boot up the PC/notebook. I would just pickup the 901+balanced/discrete card with my LCD3 and got lost in music for an hour or two. I just wish we would get that mythical docking and with wifi streaming so I can be even less dependent on the computers. Ak240 has wifi stream but both HD800 & LCD3 sounded better with HM901.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #2,255 of 3,445
I do agree with this perspective. Though it would sound butter but many a times I am too lazy to sit in front of my desktop rig or to boot up the PC/notebook. I would just pickup the 901+balanced/discrete card with my LCD3 and got lost in music for an hour or two. I just wish we would get that mythical docking and with wifi streaming so I can be even less dependent on the computers. Ak240 has wifi stream but both HD800 & LCD3 sounded better with HM901.

Agree with the last sentence. Heck! Even my Fitears sounded better with the 901

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #2,256 of 3,445
Agree with the last sentence. Heck! Even my Fitears sounded better with the 901
I'm glad to hear that. Even with all the praises around I don't feel attracted to the AK240 by two reasons. First, the design, too fancy, it would be noticed everywhere I'll take it (that's not such a gid thing of you ride the trains late night daily) and some comments describing its sound like "polite" that gimme the impression of a tamed sound, not my style definitely.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,257 of 3,445
I'm glad to hear that. Even with all the praises around I don't feel attracted to the AK240 by two reasons. First, the design, too fancy, it would be noticed everywhere I'll take it (that's not such a gid thing of you ride the trains late night daily) and some comments describing its sound like "polite" that gimme the impression of a tamed sound, not my style definitely.

My view is that the AK240 is a slick lifestyle product which has only above average SQ. It just didn't move me.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #2,258 of 3,445
My view is that the AK240 is a slick lifestyle product which has only above average SQ. It just didn't move me.

Agree, if my memory is correct, AK240 SQ is below RWAK120-S. If RW will release a 120-S with an embedded amp, that will be a true upgrade in SQ. If we factor in looking good in public and other stuff, its a whole different story..different perspective i guess

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,259 of 3,445
Agree, if my memory is correct, AK240 SQ is below RWAK120-S. If RW will release a 120-S with an embedded amp, that will be a true upgrade in SQ. If we factor in looking good in public and other stuff, its a whole different story..different perspective i guess

Agreed. It's a lifestyle statement. Not quite an audiophile statement. :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,260 of 3,445

Not true for me.  I did A/B my friend's 120-S with AK, and we both agree on all material from 16/44 to 24/192 to DSF AK240 is clearly superior over 120-S with sr71b or the international with our JH13FPs, my 334, or his IE800.  Soundstage and clarity are the key advantage for AK240, but the amp'ed 120S does provide more power.

We did agree my 901 /w either the discrete card is more engaging than the AK240 and instead of upgrading from the 120S stack to the AK240, he is now looking to get a 901 /w the discrete card. Speaking of lifestyle, surprisingly my friend mentioned he thought the HM901 look less hideous when he is trying it then when he saw me using it.   I was like "yeah right whatever....  
angry_face.gif
"

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #2,262 of 3,445
Not true for me.  I did A/B my friend's 120-S with AK, and we both agree on all material from 16/44 to 24/192 to DSF AK240 is clearly superior over 120-S with sr71b or the international with our JH13FPs, my 334, or his IE800.  Soundstage and clarity are the key advantage for AK240, but the amp'ed 120S does provide more power.

Interesting. As I said , i was just judging from memory. If you guys did A/B, its more accurate. The RWAK120-s + TU-06 combo I heard made me feel opposite than you about the AK240. In fact, I thought that its a step up to HM901 balance also and especially in soundstage and musicality. Its impressive and interesting to learn that AK240 amp section is more superior to international and 71b.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2,263 of 3,445
Mar 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #2,264 of 3,445
The new stock card is actually being called the "Classic Card" by hifiman as it was voiced based on the old hm801 Classic Card.

I don't have it with me today but you can see the card in the middle form an earlier pic I took:

I can take a couple more pics of the card when I'm home if needed.

This card sound great with vocal, pop, soft rock types.

kkcc, I've finally remembered to take a look at the standard card which came with my 802 - yes, it is the same card you showed above. And I agree it's a very engaging card, especially on the 802. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #2,265 of 3,445
Interesting. As I said , i was just judging from memory. If you guys did A/B, its more accurate. The RWAK120-s + TU-06 combo I heard made me feel opposite than you about the AK240. In fact, I thought that its a step up to HM901 balance also and especially in soundstage and musicality. Its impressive and interesting to learn that AK240 amp section is more superior to international and 71b.

Personally I think the 71b is more powerful and a clearly better amp but the limitation is probably with the DAC... it just sounded a bit veiled and less transparent than the AK240. Would be interesting to A/B with the 120S+TU05/06. I have listened to AK120 stock with Tu05 and it was remarkable.

Back to 901 news, Fang posted on hifiman's official forum that they are prototyping the docking station (finally!) but still no mention of actual functionality that will be available or any timeline... I guess that at least make this dock less mythical than before....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back