HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,341 of 3,445
Don't!

I went down that path before but the gap between AK120 and HM901 is so big that I end up still taking out the HM901 ALL the times. I finally sold the AK120 for a dx50 as my "occassional road use" and for emergency situation DAP (read: forgot to charge my 901)..... and even I had now got the 240, with new toy syndrome and whatnot, I m STILL listening to 901+mb+re600 right now as I'm posting this....

I know what you mean. Actually I thought about getting a DX50 or X5 for occasional use too, but since the price of a second hand AK120 isn't out of my reach, and it's still smaller and easier to handle than a DX50 or X5, w/ less issues too, I couldn't help but went for one. I think I'm done w/ portable DAPs for now.

Tried AK240 yesterday, side by side w/ AK120 for nearly an hour with same songs in both, I still prefer AK120's smaller size and slightly warmer tone.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,342 of 3,445
The 240 just fails to touch my soul when I listen to it. Much as I would like to like it, it still fails to do so. Unmoved. When I beef up my dsd collection, then perhaps it may still have a place in my collection. Just not at this stage.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2,343 of 3,445
Yea the for the AK240 you would also need the balanced cable to bring out it's best (more othan than the 901 where the MB is good enough to go without getting new cables or cables balanced) and that add another cost and further erode it's price:SQ ratio! But alas with me being a sucker for aesthetics and built quality I am willing to pay for all the cost as there isn't really an alternative that can come close to ALL attributes of the AK240.

Funny I was prepared to let go of my tg334 to help fund the ak240, but it ended up giving it a second life and I am thoroughly impressed with it on balanced (not so on 901 balanced)... so it's really about synergy and I ended up spending way more than I intended.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,344 of 3,445
I am thinking to get the th900 for home use and enjoy dsd during commute with iem..
I find that i can do calyx m + th900 for the cost of ak240 hehe

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #2,345 of 3,445
I am thinking to get the th900 for home use and enjoy dsd during commute with iem..
I find that i can do calyx m + th900 for the cost of ak240 hehe

Precisely! For myself, I'm torn between the Sony ZX-1, the Calyx and the Tralucent cable... a combination of which may still come under the asking price for an AK240

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #2,346 of 3,445
Yea the for the AK240 you would also need the balanced cable to bring out it's best (more othan than the 901 where the MB is good enough to go without getting new cables or cables balanced) and that add another cost and further erode it's price:SQ ratio! But alas with me being a sucker for aesthetics and built quality I am willing to pay for all the cost as there isn't really an alternative that can come close to ALL attributes of the AK240.

Funny I was prepared to let go of my tg334 to help fund the ak240, but it ended up giving it a second life and I am thoroughly impressed with it on balanced (not so on 901 balanced)... so it's really about synergy and I ended up spending way more than I intended.

Indeed, kkcc, in terms of looks, the AK240 outstrips the competition. But SQ wise? Well...

As for balanced out of the HM, it seems to work better with the Fitear CIEMs.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #2,347 of 3,445
Precisely! For myself, I'm torn between the Sony ZX-1, the Calyx and the Tralucent cable... a combination of which may still come under the asking price for an AK240

If u get the zx-1 , u can sell your Ak100/120 in exchange for some new toys assuming you use fitear ciem on the go. LoL

I am really curious if native dsd is the ANSWER . I think I will find the answer comparing calyx m native decode dsd vs hm-901 playing high res flac (converted from the same dsd files). I am a little skeptical if calyx m can outperform the hm901 but i am just skeptical about everything...

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #2,348 of 3,445
Indeed, kkcc, in terms of looks, the AK240 outstrips the competition. But SQ wise? Well...

As for balanced out of the HM, it seems to work better with the Fitear CIEMs.

Sound-for-the-buck-wise I think 901+mb/iem card is best for high-end sound, x5 for mid range (could be dx90 once we get to hear it), and sasna clips for the absolute value!

And yes I do expect 901 balanced will work well with c333 and c435, not sure if mh335dw would still be too thick sounding with 901. Conversely I find myself I only liking the zx1 paired with tg334 but not other IEMs.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #2,349 of 3,445
If u get the zx-1 , u can sell your Ak100/120 in exchange for some new toys assuming you use fitear ciem on the go. LoL

I am really curious if native dsd is the ANSWER . I think I will find the answer comparing calyx m native decode dsd vs hm-901 playing high res flac (converted from the same dsd files). I am a little skeptical if calyx m can outperform the hm901 but i am just skeptical about everything...

True that: if it turns out that hi res will still Sound better on the 901, then we convert our dsd files to flac. :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #2,350 of 3,445
Sound-for-the-buck-wise I think 901+mb/iem card is best for high-end sound, x5 for mid range (could be dx90 once we get to hear it), and sasna clips for the absolute value!

And yes I do expect 901 balanced will work well with c333 and c435, not sure if mh335dw would still be too thick sounding with 901. Conversely I find myself I only liking the zx1 paired with tg334 but not other IEMs.

Heheh! Ok. Sprks01 feels that the zx1 does the fitear house sig generally. :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #2,351 of 3,445
I have to disagree. The 1350 is clinical and analytical enough to warrant the iem card. It's not about power. Even with the standard and iems cards, you won't get past 4 or 4.5 on the volume knob. More of the pairing.
The DT-1350 are 80 ohms cans, my Denon AH2000 are 32 ohms. In my opinion the AH2000 are not driven properly by the IEM card, it doesn't sound bad at all but it lack presence. The driver of the DT-1350 is smaller than the AH2000 and if it's very efficient it could sound really good with the IEM card but you already have the Classic card with the HM901, in case you feel the sound saturated or unrefined with the Classic card then you should give the IEM card a try, it's more refined than the Classic card but also has less power, designed to drive the tiny drivers of IEM's.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #2,352 of 3,445
Best sounding dap in the market, but no way beating the iPhone 4 and digging it in the deep ground?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/709479/multi-review-hifiman-hm901-fiio-x5-sony-zx1-hisound-studio-3rd-anv-iphone-4

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #2,353 of 3,445
Mar 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #2,354 of 3,445
Well if anyone had followed his ASG2 thread you know the result of this "review" even without reading a word of it... LOLOL... I have no doubt that's what he truly heard for himself with his beloved Asg2, but really it's just that
wink.gif

I haven't followed the ASG2 thread but I have a feeling like I should check those out.

Anyway I don't want to comment on the quality of review, that's not my job since I haven't hear all those daps and ASG2. I just wanted to share cuz I found it interesting
happy_face1.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,355 of 3,445
Well if anyone had followed his ASG2 thread you know the result of this "review" even without reading a word of it... LOLOL... I have no doubt that's what he truly heard for himself with his beloved Asg2, but really it's just that
wink.gif

Btw, that was originally posted in another thread, and the scribbling added when responding to how I'd rank them accordingly to my preference.  For those who aren't into IEMs, from left: JH13 FP, 1plus2, ASG-2 brushed nickel, TG334, 

Quote:
Yes, I was not happy with the treble which was harsh and metallic with my original pair. I managed to meet Dale when he was in Hong Kong and discussed more with him 're tuning and DAP pairing etc. I also know he and Gavin (of Tralucent) had a sit down session and probably compared some notes, among other enthusiasts and industry members. Since there was some issues with my custom plating, Dale took mine back to re-plate it, and apply some of the tuning/mod I believe they had since developed after the initial batches and based on my specific feedback.

I am happy it came back with the treble fixed. I also like how it punches deeper in the subbass with a reduced midbass hump. Highly enjoyable and very comfortable to wear, and definitely look the best amongst my iems.

At $550 for the base version it is the same price as the 3DD universal and I would rate the asg2 MUCH higher and represent excellent value.

Isn't the search function an awesome thing?

@AmberOzL 

Here's the link to the thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664613/review-aurisonics-asg-2-comparisons-added-k3003-xba-h3-s-em6

Comments like kkcc's are why I've indexed impressions throughout the thread in the first post. Have a look through to see if it'd be one for you.

Also, I've compared the ASG-2 to quite a few IEMs in the 2nd post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back