HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #886 of 3,445
hmmm, true true, I think we are in about the same situation :D The r10 is def on my radar for a totl dap, but have you thought about the hm901 w/ balanced card? Hearing from others on the 901 thread, it is the best dap sq wise so far. The problem is that no one has compared the 901 to the r10 yet, this is tough because all these things are $$$ and I need to pick wisely.

Would not get the R10 if you listen to IEMs with an 8 ohm output impedance. That really blows.

The balanced and IEM 901 cards are like 1-2 ohms.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #887 of 3,445
Quote:
Would not get the R10 if you listen to IEMs with an 8 ohm output impedance. That really blows.

The balanced and IEM 901 cards are like 1-2 ohms.

I don't see the problem about R10/DX100, it drives everything in between 8 ohm and 600 ohm. It s a all in one solution I think. Anyway people can try with new Shure SE846, I think it has 9 ohm impedance only, very low. Also pretty much everybody says it pairs perfectly with UM Miracle, which has 15 ohm or something like that, also pretty low.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #888 of 3,445
Did it explode or something, what happened? :blink:

Fatal to my wallet.... it is totally depleted after first getting the AK120 and THEN the HM901 and the extra amp boards

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #889 of 3,445
I don't see the problem about R10/DX100, it drives everything in between 8 ohm and 600 ohm. It s a all in one solution I think. Anyway people can try with new Shure SE846, I think it has 9 ohm impedance only, very low. Also pretty much everybody says it pairs perfectly with UM Miracle, which has 15 ohm or something like that, also pretty low.

If you are using regular IEMs, you really need a <3ohm impedance. Google it, 8 ohms is kinda high, not outrageous like the AK100 (20 ohms).

Not saying some of these IEMs won't work, but they won't be at their best.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #890 of 3,445
Quote:
If you are using regular IEMs, you really need a <3ohm impedance. Google it, 8 ohms is kinda high, not outrageous like the AK100 (20 ohms).

Not saying some of these IEMs won't work, but they won't be at their best.

I believe the HDP R10 has less than 1 Ohm output impedance? I believe what AmberOzL meant is that it is optimal for driving any IEM/Headphones with 8 - 600 Ohm of output impedance

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #891 of 3,445
@ Trogdor:
I think DX100 is stated to have less than 1 Ohm output impedance. Are you saying that the HDP-R10 (which basically is a DX100 with different opamp and larger battery) has 8 Ohms output impedance? If so, where did you see that? I am quite surprised if it's the case.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #893 of 3,445
Quote:
If I remember correctly he said HM901 /balanced card is superior than DX100, not R10. He doesn't own huge experience with R10 to make a solid statement I think, I am not sure though, he might come here and help us
happy_face1.gif

Just for curiosity, if I get that HM901 /balanced card, how much it costs to get that special trrs balanced cable?

Sorry, went out drinking (but not drunk :p). Yes you are right in the comparison between the HM-901 & DX100 although I don't think I actually said "superior" but I personally prefer the HM-901 over the DX100 for most tracks & genre I have. There are the odd songs/tracks where I preferred the DX100 over the HM-901 but they're in the minority. I haven't tried the R10 for over a year and therefore would be quite hesitant to make any comments on comparing it to the HM-901. Access to the R10 isn't a problem as the shops seem to have lots of R10 demos or 2nd hands so it's merely pure laziness that I've not set up duplicate microSDs to go there to compare. I may do this when I come back from my holidays.

About the cables, if you happen to be nice to some ppl in the industry they may even re-terminate to TRRS for free (if the cable lends itself to balancing in the first place). The only issue I have so far though are that there aren't that many known TRRS makers. I've yet to see an Oyaide or Viablue TRRS plug. The only one I know of is Pailiccs, otherwise unknown branded ones.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #894 of 3,445
Quote:

Sorry, went out drinking (but not drunk :p). Yes you are right in the comparison between the HM-901 & DX100 although I don't think I actually said "superior" but I personally prefer the HM-901 over the DX100 for most tracks & genre I have. There are the odd songs/tracks where I preferred the DX100 over the HM-901 but they're in the minority. I haven't tried the R10 for over a year and therefore would be quite hesitant to make any comments on comparing it to the HM-901. Access to the R10 isn't a problem as the shops seem to have lots of R10 demos or 2nd hands so it's merely pure laziness that I've not set up duplicate microSDs to go there to compare. I may do this when I come back from my holidays.

About the cables, if you happen to be nice to some ppl in the industry they may even re-terminate to TRRS for free (if the cable lends itself to balancing in the first place). The only issue I have so far though are that there aren't that many known TRRS makers. I've yet to see an Oyaide or Viablue TRRS plug. The only one I know of is Pailiccs, otherwise unknown branded ones.

Told you that he would come here and help us
wink.gif
Ok thank you for the explanation. About the cable, well I think as a relatively young head-fier, I am starting now people a bit. The problem is I live in Eu region and there is not much going on in here, most things happen in the States or Asia. Nobody cares the audiophiles in Europe (*goes to corner and cries alone*).

Again, thank you for the help. I think first I have to save money again to buy something. I just bought a ciem (SE 5 way reference), now I need a dap to pair with it. If it is going to be HM901, I am sure going to look for that special termination. Toxic cables is from Eu, maybe they can help me.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #895 of 3,445
Most cable can go through EU easily without tax. It is usually shipped as a documents not a package. And Belgium's custom is one of the laziest custom in EU :wink:.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #896 of 3,445
@ Trogdor:
I think DX100 is stated to have less than 1 Ohm output impedance. Are you saying that the HDP-R10 (which basically is a DX100 with different opamp and larger battery) has 8 Ohms output impedance? If so, where did you see that? I am quite surprised if it's the case.

For some odd reason I had thought the HDP-R10 had higher output impedance than the DX100. If it does not, I apologize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back