HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #901 of 3,445
Quote:
Is there a way to alphabetize the list of artists? I can't seem to find any. The explorer seems to do it by timestamp which is really strange.

Cover art doesn't work and it seems to ignore all of my FLAC tags?

Seems you are on the 1.080Beta (which also shows as 1.080 in the system screen) that has the non alphabetical sorting thing.

FLAC tags working for me but the filename instead of the track name will be shown on the now playing screen.

Need to check on embedded cover as I have a cover.jpg (or album name.jpg, artist name.jpg etc) in the folder so I'm not sure if it is picking up the the embedded one or the jpg file, I suspect it might be the latter tho.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #902 of 3,445
Seems you are on the 1.080Beta (which also shows as 1.080 in the system screen) that has the non alphabetical sorting thing.

FLAC tags working for me but the filename instead of the track name will be shown on the now playing screen.

Need to check on embedded cover as I have a cover.jpg (or album name.jpg, artist name.jpg etc) in the folder so I'm not sure if it is picking up the the embedded one or the jpg file, I suspect it might be the latter tho.

I have both tag and cover.jpg file in every direcotry. It does pick up MP3 covers not FLAC though. My guess is the FLAC tag parsing is screwed up.

This is directly from Head-Direct so I doubt they were flashing beta firmwares but who knows?

Also, can I leave it charging over night?

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #903 of 3,445
Quote:
I have both tag and cover.jpg file in every direcotry. It does pick up MP3 covers not FLAC though. My guess is the FLAC tag parsing is screwed up.

This is directly from Head-Direct so I doubt they were flashing beta firmwares but who knows?

Also, can I leave it charging over night?

Just flash the latest 1.080 again and it should works.  Tho honestly I am mainly using folder browsing on the 128gb card as the album list or artist list are just too long to scroll thru so my experience with the tag browsing is pretty limited and out-of-date even!

Charging, yes I leave it charging over night all the time.  Just make sure you don't charge and playback TOGETHER overnight that won't be good for battery longevity, and Fang had recommended against charging and playback simultaneously.  I did that on a few occasions without any problem but never overnight.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #904 of 3,445
Quote:

Just flash the latest 1.080 again and it should works.  Tho honestly I am mainly using folder browsing on the 128gb card as the album list or artist list are just too long to scroll thru so my experience with the tag browsing is pretty limited and out-of-date even!

Charging, yes I leave it charging over night all the time.  Just make sure you don't charge and playback TOGETHER overnight that won't be good for battery longevity, and Fang had recommended against charging and playback simultaneously.  I did that on a few occasions without any problem but never overnight.

What about running it plugged in overnight without the battery? Does that work?

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #905 of 3,445
Quote:
What about running it plugged in overnight without the battery? Does that work?

It will work but also not recommended.  They asked me to wait for the docking station for plugged in playback.  Something about the charging circuitry not designed to be used as a power supply blah blah.....

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #906 of 3,445
Quote:

It will work but also not recommended.  They asked me to wait for the docking station for plugged in playback.  Something about the charging circuitry not designed to be used as a power supply blah blah.....

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the info.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #907 of 3,445
Just checked my AC Gears order on the HM-901 and it has shipped and arrives tomorrow! Woo Hoo! 
atsmile.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #908 of 3,445
Quote:
Hmm, ok. Thanks for the info.

Yea big bummers.  I really ain't having any luck with this plugged in playback stuffs.... the AK120 would hiss when charging and playing (badly with the TG334, less so with 1plus2/asg2), and the 901 is "not recommended" for it... looks to me I'd need to get docks for both eventually when they became available.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #909 of 3,445

Where is the latest firmware?

Btw, it doesn't look it handles multi-byte characters very well in the song titles.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #910 of 3,445
There you go:
http://down.hifiman.cn/HM901/update.zip

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #912 of 3,445
kkcc, you have been very helpful. How do you updatE? Just copy it on the SD card and boot up? (that's how I would program the firmware)

MP3 cover art btw works, it just with FLAC files it fails.

Linking to instructions provided by anakchan earlier: http://www.head-fi.org/t/605982/hm-901/1290#post_9643370

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #913 of 3,445
Linking to instructions provided by anakchan earlier: http://www.head-fi.org/t/605982/hm-901/1290#post_9643370

Mea culpa for being lazy. Thanks kkcc.

I do wish they would open source the firmware a la Rockbox under a dual license (run the HifiMAN official one or have one forked with added stuff folks can try).

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #914 of 3,445
Hey guys! I'm awaiting for my SE846. meanwhile I've ask with Fred from Stereodesk about the Amp Card recommended for them and he asked to HiFiMAN and the reply was "IEM card is recommended. Balanced card will work well in balanced mode, but the user should be careful about volume." So I would like to know your opinions about it and, if possible, hear some impressions from different cards paired with the SE846.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #915 of 3,445
I have picked up my HM-901 and am transferring music to my SD card now while letting it charge up all the way. FYI, it did ship with the latest firmware. I do notice a cable that allows for analog out, but it also has a "male" sp/dif connection? why not female? can you send it data from a PC, or just connect it to an external DAC?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back