Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 24, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #8,282 of 14,653
This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know if these could sound decent driven by a chord mojo on the go??

Yes, it sounds decent – but not more. For some reason the HE1000 sounds clearly better driven by the Hugo (smoother, more refined, better soundstage). A pairing I consider excellent, even for home use.

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #8,284 of 14,653
This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know if these could sound decent driven by a chord mojo on the go??

HEK need good amping to show its full potential...Mojo ain't going to cut it

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #8,285 of 14,653
I thought of the specs of the V2 pads for a while. The V2 pads a significantly thicker than the V1 pads, since they are designed for the thinner V2 cans. So if the V2 pads are applied to the V1 then the distance between my ears to the driver would be even larger. Not sure if this situation will bring benefit of not. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #8,286 of 14,653
Anyone else notice the layer of cloth lining the inside of the earcups tend to rub against the tips of your ears (bottom and top)? I find this friction really makes the earphones uncomfortable compared to other big, open earphones with over ear cups and cause your ears to heat up very quickly. I assume that's why the V2 earcups are going to be wider, to create more space between the ear and the cloth to prevent this abrasion?

I mean I guess if you keep your head in a vice and never move your head you won't create any friction between your ears and the inner earcup cloth.

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #8,287 of 14,653
I thought of the specs of the V2 pads for a while. The V2 pads a significantly thicker than the V1 pads, since they are designed for the thinner V2 cans. So if the V2 pads are applied to the V1 then the distance between my ears to the driver would be even larger. Not sure if this situation will bring benefit of not. 

The depth of increase should be mainly in the rear, so your actually just getting a more forward perspective,
But yes overall more distance,
Although the front area may be the same.
We need pics..

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #8,288 of 14,653
old post

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #8,289 of 14,653
  Hi guys,

I need some assistance and input here. I own a pair of Audeze LCD-X headphones. I have upgraded them with the carbon fiber headband that Audeze uses on their flagship LCD-4. The reasons I got the LCD-X's: Planar Magnetic, big sound stage and very importantly, 20 ohms impedance. Here's the thing: Even with the new headband I'm still having some lateral pressure problems around my ears so I'm looking at other planar magnetic headphones. There are alot of other planar magnetic headphones at the same price point as my LCD-X's like the MrSpeakers Ether and the HifiMan Edition X. So I'm not going to get another set of planar magnetic's for $1,800 give or take since that's what I already own. So I'm looking at going all-in with the HifiMan HE1000 v2's. Apparently these cans have an impedance of 35 ohms. If that's the case then here's the questions: How much of a difference will I hear or experience between 20 ohms and 35 ohms in planar magnetic cans? The 35 ohms cans compared to the 20 ohms cans, how much more do I have to crank up the volume? How much more power would they draw from the unit being used (not a proper headphone amp)? Is the 15 ohms difference negligible, noticeable or significant? This is really, really important to me so I really need some input before I drop $3,000 on HiFiMan's flagship cans. I have a proper headphone amp but I'm using these cans for other applications so you don't need to mention the obvious. I know that already. And for those of you who own the 1000's, what can you say as far as comfort, like compared to Sennheiser HD 800/S? I own both of the 800's and can wear them for hours and hours and hours without discomfort. I can't say that about the Audeze LCD-X's. What about the HiFiMan HE1000's comfort? So to boil it down: I need, or at least want, planar magnetic headphones with big sound stage, very comfortable, and very easy to drive. 'Cause if it's one thing I can say about the 20 ohms LCD-X's, they're incredibly easy to drive and forgiving. You can connect them to anything and it sounds good. Other suggestions are also welcome but right now I'm eyeing the HifiMan HE1000 v2.

Many thanks in advance to those of you who took the time to read this and answer.

Best Regards

Will

I'd seriously consider the HifiMan Edition X V2's for what you're looking for. I've got the original HEX and they are incredibly easy to drive and one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned (and I own a HD800). The V2's will have a better built quality and hopefully sound better as well. Compared to the LCD-X, the HEX's will have a bigger soundstage and a slightly tighter bass. They won't quite have the slam as the X's and they they wont' have as much treble extension. They are incredibly easy to listen to and not very fatiguing. I personally love using my HEX's with a DAP around the house and they can even be driven by most phones.

I think the big issue with getting the HE-1000 V2's is that even though they have a low impedance, that doesn't necessarily mean they're easy to drive (like the original HEK).

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #8,290 of 14,653
  Hi guys,

I need some assistance and input here. I own a pair of Audeze LCD-X headphones. I have upgraded them with the carbon fiber headband that Audeze uses on their flagship LCD-4. The reasons I got the LCD-X's: Planar Magnetic, big sound stage and very importantly, 20 ohms impedance. Here's the thing: Even with the new headband I'm still having some lateral pressure problems around my ears so I'm looking at other planar magnetic headphones. There are alot of other planar magnetic headphones at the same price point as my LCD-X's like the MrSpeakers Ether and the HifiMan Edition X. So I'm not going to get another set of planar magnetic's for $1,800 give or take since that's what I already own. So I'm looking at going all-in with the HifiMan HE1000 v2's. Apparently these cans have an impedance of 35 ohms. If that's the case then here's the questions: How much of a difference will I hear or experience between 20 ohms and 35 ohms in planar magnetic cans? The 35 ohms cans compared to the 20 ohms cans, how much more do I have to crank up the volume? How much more power would they draw from the unit being used (not a proper headphone amp)? Is the 15 ohms difference negligible, noticeable or significant? This is really, really important to me so I really need some input before I drop $3,000 on HiFiMan's flagship cans. I have a proper headphone amp but I'm using these cans for other applications so you don't need to mention the obvious. I know that already. And for those of you who own the 1000's, what can you say as far as comfort, like compared to Sennheiser HD 800/S? I own both of the 800's and can wear them for hours and hours and hours without discomfort. I can't say that about the Audeze LCD-X's. What about the HiFiMan HE1000's comfort? So to boil it down: I need, or at least want, planar magnetic headphones with big sound stage, very comfortable, and very easy to drive. 'Cause if it's one thing I can say about the 20 ohms LCD-X's, they're incredibly easy to drive and forgiving. You can connect them to anything and it sounds good. Other suggestions are also welcome but right now I'm eyeing the HifiMan HE1000 v2.

Many thanks in advance to those of you who took the time to read this and answer.

Best Regards

Will

Hi!  I have both the HE1000 and the HD800.  I find that the HE1000 is not quite as comfortable, due to its greater weight.  However, in terms of pressure points on the head, its sling strap design keeps it really comfortable as compared with headphones overall.  Biggest difference would be in wearing the headphone swile bending (e.g. housework, yard work, or feeding pets)...the HE1000 would be more likely to fall off. Stationary... both are fine.

It is the sensitivity, not the impedance, that determines how much power you need to drive the headphones to a greater output.  The Audeze LCD-X is listed as 103 dB, meaning one milliwatt of power produces 103 dB of sound.  The HE1000 are listed at 93 dB, producing 10 times less sound at that same 1 mW, so you would need 10 times as much power into the HE1000 to achieve 103 dB of sound.  

Each doubling of power produces 3 dB more output power.  Folks generally like headphones to reach 110 dB of power (lots of discussion on this figure, and folks want headroom above that, and it all takes place at ALL frequencies and varies with frequency, but specs are given at one frequency, usually 1 Khz, so lots of wiggle room here).

So for an HE1000, you need to get from 93 dB to 110 dB, or 17 dB, which would be over 4 doublings of power (2^4 = 16).  Your amp would need to put out about 4 * 3 = 12 mW.  Again, this is very modest, and such thing as surge power really govern.  My HiFiMAN EF-6 amp that I use for my HE1000, for example, is rated at 5 watts.

Hope this helps more than confuses!

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #8,291 of 14,653
@WillB Comparing the V1 with the HD800, major difference is the weight. The HD800 feels like nothing on my head, the HE1000 V1 is a heavier. If you are not planning to move around while you are wearing the HE1000 then you will be fine. The V2 should improve on the weight and comfort with thicker pads. 

For both HD800 and HE1000, at this level of headphone a proper amp is highly recommended.

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #8,292 of 14,653
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #8,293 of 14,653
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #8,294 of 14,653
Not sure how this can be of any deciding factor...
An increase of 12mw can be as little as 1 mm on your volume dial..
You need to actually listen to any headohone purchase that is over $1k .
That is the best advice to give.

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #8,295 of 14,653
The HEK sounds quite good paired with the Hugo or Mojo and even better if you add a good portable amp like the Vorzuge Pure II+ or the newly released AOL V5......in most cases the Chord DAC/AMP combo does quite well power wise but in some cases added power is necessary.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back