HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #5,043 of 21,868

Quote:

I'm using an Audio Research D70 Mk II, 60wpc.

Nice.
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #5,046 of 21,868

Quote:
I've seen a lot of vintage receivers, but has anyone hooked these up to a more modern receiver with much luck?

Not sure if this counts as a "modern" receiver, but I've tried my HE-6 from the speaker taps of an Outlaw Audio RR2150. I didn't take any notes about the pairing, but I remember thinking it was a little lean in the bass AND that the HE-6 sounded much better from the headphone out of the vintage receiver I also had hooked up at the time, a Pioneer SX-1050.

I've since acquired the HifiMan HE Adapter and intend to try the RR2150 again sometime soon.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #5,047 of 21,868

Quote:
I've seen a lot of vintage receivers, but has anyone hooked these up to a more modern receiver with much luck?

I tried my Onkyo TX 705 with my HE6's, of-course it will power the HE6 but as with most speaker amps leaves you wanting for more.
My Liquid Fire with my nos Siemens/Halske 6922=E88CC=CCa early 60's set is the best amp (with my rig) I have heard using my HE6's.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,048 of 21,868

Quote:
I tried my Onkyo TX 705 with my HE6's, of-course it will power the HE6 but as with most speaker amps leaves you wanting for more.
My Liquid Fire with my nos Siemens/Halske 6922=E88CC=CCa early 60's set is the best amp (with my rig) I have heard using my HE6's.

Wow...more so than even your WA5LE?

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #5,049 of 21,868

Quote:

Agreed. The Siemens CCa really bring out the bass in the HE-6. I liked Mullard CV2943s as well, but the price for their sweet midrange was rather anemic bass. Not so with the CCa.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #5,050 of 21,868

Quote:

Wow...more so than even your WA5LE?

UPDATE. I must take that back about what I was saying, the WA5LE using my WE300B's and TSRP 6SN7GT's along with my upgraded HDMI out connection for my Realiser and my W4S DAC, my WA5LE is the batter amp with my HE6's. And I know find I can use the high imp port without much loss in sound-staging. I had not tried my WA5LE with the updated Realiser and the W4S DAC.
***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Yes even more so than my WA5LE. With my WA5LE I had to use the low imp jack to bring out better back ground detail, with my Liquid Fire there doesn't seem to be any difference using the High or Low imp jack, except for the volume level of-course. So I use the High imp jack on my LF for my HE6's, there by allowing me to lower the dB level on my Realiser and that takes care of the LFE Ch's low rumbling bass in rare cases there was distortion, without a LFE Ch there was NP.
The differences are that the LF is a faster amp and has better direction on were the sounds are coming from along with a little better layering.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #5,052 of 21,868

Quote:
Not sure if this counts as a "modern" receiver, but I've tried my HE-6 from the speaker taps of an Outlaw Audio RR2150. I didn't take any notes about the pairing, but I remember thinking it was a little lean in the bass AND that the HE-6 sounded much better from the headphone out of the vintage receiver I also had hooked up at the time, a Pioneer SX-1050.

I've since acquired the HifiMan HE Adapter and intend to try the RR2150 again sometime soon.

Having owned the 2150 and a Pioneer SX980 I thought the Outlaw was a great receiver but the Pioneer was in another league. The Pioneer were overbuilt receivers IMO never equalled again by any other manufacturer.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5,053 of 21,868

Quote:
After having heard the LCD's and the Stax's (007 and 009) at the Vancouver meet today, the HE-6 is a keeper (THE ONE for me)  and a relative bargain at that.  

Quote:
Thanks !
I am not the least surprised, but nice to hear that : -)

Some more impressions of the the HE-6 from the Vancouver meet.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584371/vancouver-head-fi-meet-january-14-2012/30#post_8061728

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #5,055 of 21,868

Quote:
Yes even more so than my WA5LE. With my WA5LE I had to use the low imp jack to bring out better back ground detail, with my Liquid Fire there doesn't seem to be any difference using the High or Low imp jack, except for the volume level of-course. So I use the High imp jack on my LF for my HE6's, there by allowing me to lower the dB level on my Realiser and that takes care of the LFE Ch's low rumbling bass in rare cases there was distortion, without a LFE Ch there was NP.
The differences are that the LF is a faster amp and has better direction on were the sounds are coming from along with a little better layering.

Cool. Thanks Peter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back