HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #5,026 of 21,879
I have the pleathers but had on my head for less than a few minutes as the fit just did not feel right.

On another note, I had a little problem with my DIY cable so have been listening to the HE-6 with the stock cable with the SE adapter out of my Marantz headphone out.  Like most vintage integrateds the HP out ,if I remember correctly, uses the same output as the speaker taps with a 330 ohm resistor.

Gone are the incredible dynamics and detail, frequency extension is reduced and I hear a lot more distortion as the sound is all mushed up together. Just my 2 cents worth, your drive and mileage may vary.

My guess would be that the 330 ohm resistors (which is probably close to the actual measured output impedance) is coloring your 50 ohm HE-6 resistance. I would think that your HE-6 would sound much better driven from the speaker terminals without the influence of the 330 ohm resistors.

Using the most commonly accepted guideline for driver damping, the output impedance of your amp should be no greater than: Headphone impedance (resistance) /8.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #5,027 of 21,879
This has been covered before - planar magnetic drivers do not require electrical damping the way that dynamic drivers do, and so there is no impact on sound due to an impedance mismatch.  For the HE-6, we are solely concerned about power transfer (in terms of the effect of the resistors).

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #5,028 of 21,879

Quote:
This has been covered before - planar magnetic drivers do not require electrical damping the way that dynamic drivers do, and so there is no impact on sound due to an impedance mismatch.  For the HE-6, we are solely concerned about power transfer (in terms of the effect of the resistors).

Sankar writes: "Damping in amplifiers is not a big problem for planar headphones since the impedance doesn't vary."

I'm wondering if this is similar effect to lowering output voltage with trim pot?

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #5,029 of 21,879
Higher impedance speakers in this case the HE-6 @50ohms does not need damping (way less damping)  to sound good. That is why tube amps work best with electrostatics speakers.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #5,030 of 21,879
After having heard the LCD's and the Stax's (007 and 009) at the Vancouver meet today, the HE-6 is a keeper (THE ONE for me)  and a relative bargain at that.  

Thanks !
I am not the least surprised, but nice to hear that : -)

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #5,031 of 21,879

Quote:
Higher impedance speakers in this case the HE-6 @50ohms does not need damping (way less damping)  to sound good. That is why tube amps work best with electrostatics speakers.

When you finally find a tube speaker amp, try to use USA made output tubes. I replaced the 4 Russian made Tung-Sol 6550 reissues with GE 6550 in my amp and the slight hardness with the Tung-Sols went away.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #5,032 of 21,879

Which amp was used to drive the HE6 at the meeting?
Quote:
Anybody used or has any thoughts on the Rogue Cronus Magnum Integrated? Looking to tube my HE-6. It has some good reviews but I need unbiased opinion.

After having heard the LCD's and the Stax's (007 and 009) at the Vancouver meet today, the HE-6 is a keeper (THE ONE for me)  and a relative bargain at that.  

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #5,034 of 21,879

Quote:
When you finally find a tube speaker amp, try to use USA made output tubes. I replaced the 4 Russian made Tung-Sol 6550 reissues with GE 6550 in my amp and the slight hardness with the Tung-Sols went away.

I am going to go with the GU-50 tube amp and  I don't think there are any US equivalents. But I will definitely give the 6SN7's a go (preamp section) as I have about 20 of them including RCA NOS grey glass, Sylvania and Raytheon. I know I sold my TungSols round black plates a few months back  but I do have a pair of CV 181s (globes) that are private labeled GP Audio which I found to sound the best in the HA-2. I just hope they still work.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #5,035 of 21,879

Quote:

I figured you would not like those tung sol reissue if you dont want to pay GE 6550A prices another great option is the Winged C 6550 tube SED and Russian but so balanced and musical. GE is bass king IMO at least when I owned the CJ Premeir 11a but my overall favorite was the EI KT90 but they are gone too those tubes last forever and had it all. Upscale has SED tubes

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #5,036 of 21,879

Quote:
I figured you would not like those tung sol reissue if you dont want to pay GE 6550A prices another great option is the Winged C 6550 tube SED and Russian but so balanced and musical. GE is bass king IMO at least when I owned the CJ Premeir 11a but my overall favorite was the EI KT90 but they are gone too those tubes last forever and had it all. Upscale has SED tubes

The GE 6550As last too as long as they are biased a little lower. I set mine at 55mA instead of 65mA. There's someone at AA that has some EI KT90s.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #5,037 of 21,879

Quote:
The GE 6550As last too as long as they are biased a little lower. I set mine at 55mA instead of 65mA. There's someone at AA that has some EI KT90s.

I remember you saying but need to be careful as the latter batch type 11 had red plate issue and were troublesome. But man what a tube. I gave the old set I had to Rob and he said they tested good and I used those suckers for years and they still test good. LOL. waiting to see what Skylab thinks of them when he get his 6550 amp.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #5,039 of 21,879

Quote:
From what I read about the EI KT90s, the 2nd generations are the ones to get. The 3rd were after the war and were not reliable.

I would like to try some NOS Tung-Sols 6550s but man they are expensive.

Nwever heard those and they were expensive for me. I was quite happy with the GE,SED and Ei tubes I did not like the reissue tung sol nor the valve art chinese ones they had a magic midrange but zero bass. I had those all over a 12 yr period and always preferred my Ei KT90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back